Dan Sperry on America's Got Talent

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
I have but one thing to point out here... HE'S STILL A CRISS ANGEL WANNABE!

... maybe a cross between Alice Cooper & Criss but he's NOT "original" when it comes to the stuff being done in today's market.

I loved his dove piece, that was quite cool and he milks the SAW routine well... (he didn't throw the floss at Mandel btw, he tried to simply toss it onto the consol by Sharon but it "stuck" to his fingers a bit) I didn't care for the first part of the Life-Saver bit... something about watching a cow chew cud is disturbing to me and "tasteless" to most of the world (hence the term CHEW WITH YOUR MOUTH CLOSED)

We can hope that he grows up a bit, chooses to be "Original" and not another clone of some middle-aged goth child and that (if he reatins this image) he modles himself more off of Alice Cooper or for that matter Riff Raff

He's not a Criss Angel wannabe. In interviews he said he's drawn inspiration for his style from a variety of different sources. They just happen to be both on the more gothic side.

May 9, 2008
There's a very good reason he's chewing with his mouth open, to prove that the life safer has been chewed!! He's nothing like a Criss Angel Wannabe.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I would posit that Criss Angel is not goth, but more glam rock than anything. This is bolstered by the fact that he was in a glam rock band.

May 9, 2008
I would posit that Criss Angel is not goth, but more glam rock than anything. This is bolstered by the fact that he was in a glam rock band.

Thank you! Someone gets it. I think he may have also been referring to the type of effects that dan and criss perform. They are sometimes somewhat similar. But dan specializes in disgusting effects.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
And Criss just specializes in Stabbing himself and creeping people out. ;)

No, I don't think that Dan is like Criss but just wanted to point that out.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA

Criss Angel is a Hot Topic "Goth" (hehehe) and far too old to be using that as his angle... it worked 20 years ago when I first saw him live, it was age appropriate, but he need to step away from that safety net and into a more appropriate mode. I did see him on Leno the other night and it seems that he has started a character make-over, well see what evolves.

As to my comment of Perry being an Angel Wannabe I must point out that Angel was the first heavily exposed "goth type" talent and it was only after his first few shows that said look and style took hold... it's the same trend we saw in the latter 70s & early 80s when everyone was trying to be Sigfried & Roy or David Copperfield and later in that decade, Lance Burton. We are mimics more than we are originators... especially so in the U.S. and this has been of common note for decades; a observance by European acts visiting this country and pondering why so many magicians did the same material.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Criss Angel is a Hot Topic "Goth" (hehehe) and far too old to be using that as his angle... it worked 20 years ago when I first saw him live, it was age appropriate, but he need to step away from that safety net and into a more appropriate mode. I did see him on Leno the other night and it seems that he has started a character make-over, well see what evolves.

As to my comment of Perry being an Angel Wannabe I must point out that Angel was the first heavily exposed "goth type" talent and it was only after his first few shows that said look and style took hold... it's the same trend we saw in the latter 70s & early 80s when everyone was trying to be Sigfried & Roy or David Copperfield and later in that decade, Lance Burton. We are mimics more than we are originators... especially so in the U.S. and this has been of common note for decades; a observance by European acts visiting this country and pondering why so many magicians did the same material.

Hot Topic hasn't been 'goth' for a long time, either.

Furthermore, what makes his image inappropriate due to age? Allowing the 'goth' label for a moment, at what point is it unacceptable to be 'goth'? I know people well into their middle ages who still identify with the goth subculture and, quite frankly, I see no problem with this. Why should someone change their preferences just because they've added some candles to their birthday cake?

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
15 years ago several of my cohorts and I were discussing this same issue and we figured that when you break 35 it's time to shift gears and take on a bit more mature image over the outwardly rebellious image goth represents. Interestingly enough, many of we older Goths/Punkers have become active with SteamPunk in that it's a bit more mature and not as antogonistic as the other. As one particular fellow put it "It's just not cool being Grandpa Goth...or an old Vampire"

Once you reach a certain age the outward exhibition become a major negative within the social structures of life, even Alice Cooper and the guys from KISS realized that.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I guess it helps that I've been going to Dan's itricks chats for quite a while, and purchased one of his e-books which gets a little autobiographical (Notes About Nothing, for the curious.)

That is not some Angel wannabe routine. He openly displays his inspirations on his iTricks shows and - as much as he admires other magicians - draws those inspirations from elsewhere.

What he did Tuesday wasn't street magic. You don't do that with masks and doves. It wasn't the stage magic of suits and tuxedos either. It conformed to everything he has been preaching to his "live" internet audience for months.

That was Dan Sperry.

I would love to have him put it in his own words. The itricks shows are archived to watch at any time. Pick any of the shows where you can see the purple wall behind him. You'll get to hear him preach his philosophy about character and presentation. Then you can compare and contrast his words with any Criss Angel comparison.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Ok, quick question.
I don't follow AGT.
Does anyone know when the next show is that Dan will be performing in?
Thanks.

Go to http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/ and you can keep track on things (at least this is the best source), but I've not seen anything as to when any one talent will be on which date. I think they do it on purpose, so as to stimulate weekly ratings. Thing is, if you miss an episode you can either go to the web site to find highlights (even the full show) and too, they repeat the previous night's episode on the following evening. If you still can't find it and have "On-Demand" service, you can find it under TV Listings and catch it.

Go to http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/ and you can keep track on things (at least this is the best source), but I've not seen anything as to when any one talent will be on which date. I think they do it on purpose, so as to stimulate weekly ratings. Thing is, if you miss an episode you can either go to the web site to find highlights (even the full show) and too, they repeat the previous night's episode on the following evening. If you still can't find it and have "On-Demand" service, you can find it under TV Listings and catch it.

Yes guys dan did a wonderful job....kudos to him...i'd love to see him break out the tongue thingy again....that will kill....

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
Here to remind everyone that Dan is going to be on again tonight.

Don't forget to vote for him! Last time it let us vote up to 10 times from a given phone number. If that's the case again then Vote Often!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
It was ok at best. The robot blocked a lot of the view as did Dan. The audience couldn't see anything that was going on until the reveal. I didn't like this particular performance and it didn't look strong. Pier hated it.

Opinions? Just being brutally honest.

Sep 1, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Wow. Not sure if that was the best performance i've seen from Dan. Judges didnt seem to like it either.

I have no idea why he even preformed that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
I like Dan a lot but he could have done better. May be next time he could use lots of fire to hide everything...lol Had to see the earlier part of the show to get that one.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results