Dan Sperry on America's Got Talent

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
There is absolutely no excuse for someone that has Dan's background to do such a shoddy job.

From what I have been reading and learning, Dan very probably had two choices:
  1. Get on stage and do what the producers say.
  2. Get off the show entirely
I sympathize with your comments. I also think that between the producers of AGT treating magicians the way they do and Piers trying telling the magicians how they perform their effects then maybe the organizations might want to get involved. Not just talking in ring meetings, but honestly, actually, standing up for their craft.

I would also ask, too, that you look at the links posted by Magic Newswire. The guy building that five thousand dollar effect is proselytizing the greatness of Dan Sperry.

There is absolutely no excuse for someone that has Dan's background to do such a shoddy job.

Craig,

AGT is an unfair show for magicians as a whole. There have been many a talented and very good magician go onto that program only to get shown in a bad light. While I've not spoken to Dan directly with regards to the show, and I'm sure he's still gagged from NDA's he's had to sign, so I can't confirm anything but I'm willing to bet that he probably didn't have too much say in the matter.

AGT probably wanted another act to make Murry look better, and I'm willing to bet that Dan drew the short straw. I understand that AGT brought on Johnathan Pendragon a season or so ago and presented him as a rank 1 noob, which you and I both know is not true.

AGT isn't about talent. It's about ratings. It's a TV show on prime time. There's no reality to it. The producers already know who they want to win, and the direction they want the show to go in.

I believe you are being a little too critical. Perhaps too harsh.

Sep 20, 2009
I've posted this other places. i think more people need to read this

I Love Dan, talked to him a couple times at The Castle, Great guy and bloody well talented

anyway..

Rudy Coby was saying how dan wasn't scheduled to perform until next week, but three days before show time they said he was bumped up to Tuesday, so he basically had three days to put this act together. that wasn't his prop and he had never used it before. Rudy Coby was helping him build something of his own but since they bumped him up couldn't get it ready in time. so when they told him dan said he would just do his dove act and the producers of the show said " no, you either do the saw illusion or don't plan on walking on that stage again" so he had too..

on top of that nick cannon didn't do some things he was supposed to.. i also heard that AGT said they would provide the fake arm... so dan had no control over any of that..

it's too bad that these "Reality Talent Shows" have nothing to do with being real. the producers know who that want on to make money America doesn't decide on anything

so you can't really blame Dan for this

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Ok... JetEyeNight... Lighting wasn't the issue, some of those Arm Amputators actually have a small spot light mounted to the top brace so as to highlight things (and help cast a few special shadows)... in Dan's case, the fake was waaaay too small for the person being used, improperly "painted" and simply nowhere near believable. Most of those gaffs are made of rubber and thus, move just enough to look real. They are likewise made from a cast of the arm typically used in the act OR ELSE, the performer looks about the room to find someone with the right sized forearm to fit the thing... but "fit" is the important pioint here; the metal straps & the arm should be a "tight" fit so as to better conceal things, secondly, the "drop' (for lack of a better term) should be set in such a way as to allow the victim to sit in a relaxed/comfortable manner, not the awkward position the host seemed to be in, in this case.

Dan has been around long enough to have material ready to go, so why did he step outside the safety net by trying to do something he wasn't properly ready to present? With 3 day's lead time he should have been more than ready... for that matter, he should have known even before signing up for the show, what each set was going to be and had it down pat... so there really is no excuse here; Dan screwed up!

Yes, AGT has at least one or two key players that hate magic and magicians, that's the only way to explain some of the things they've done in the past few years to some of the bigger names in the trade. I have been corresponding with Sharon and now Howie in the hope of getting producers to bring in at least one to three magic experts as part of an advisory team. Aside from helping everyone out in judging a good magic act vs. poor, these advisors would be there to help the acts "tighten" things up and meet the demands of producers. They have choreographers, voice coaches, etc. for all the "traditional" type of acts, so why short change the variety category?

YES... magic is being hurt by all the air time it's seeing and what's most unfortunate, is the ease by which very poor quality acts are able to get that air time. But when it comes to situations such as AGT there is a more "traditional" problem afoot... Magic in particular along side Jugglers, Ventriloquist/puppeteers, etc. are all viewed as "filler' material by the typical live show producer; we are "novelties" that help build production value but that they have little to no respect for... not until you become some kind of major headliner and even then you can be in for a world of woe. I remember how Waylon was treated from time to time simply because people didn't connect him to his famed puppet and their mutual success...

This can be a disheartening splash of water in the face, but it is how things have been for a very long time, a lot of it actually brought on by the magician's themselves. To be kind, there are simply too many bad ones out there with ego's bigger than Texas and a stubborn streak as wide as the Mississsippi. We go blind when opportunity presents itself and end up shooting ourselves in the foot. Sadly, our fubars end up reflecting on everyone else that calls themselves a "Magician" or "Mentalist"... but then we have more semantics to look at here, the confusion created within the industry by all the wannabes calling themselves "Illusionists"... a term that has, for at least a century or better, inferred those that did grand scaled effects akin to Howard Thurston or David Copperfield, not some clown with a set of Chinese Sticks... but I degress...

I fear that AGT has fallen into the same pit fall most every other half-decent talent show finds; politics and payola for lack of a better term. If I were but a mouse in the back room while show planning was going on, the things I'd be able to prove...

Ok... Dan has been around long enough to have material ready to go, so why did he step outside the safety net by trying to do something he wasn't properly ready to present? ...So there really is no excuse here; Dan screwed up!

You place the entire blame on a well seasoned, well trained, Vegas performing professional when you JUST said that you know things are run differently in a talent show for TV?

Dan didn't screw up. For all we know Dan did exactly what he was suppose to do. Don't blame him entirely. I highly doubt someone of his talent, and training would make those mistakes. I'm sure there's a bigger picture you're not seeing here.

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
I just watched the performance show and the results on Hulu for I was on vacation and missed the live shows... And hearing that Dan was forced to perform this effect (based on previous posts) explains a lot. I wouldn't see Dan performing this normally and while I was watching, I immediately was wondering, "Why?" Just shows how "real" these shows are...

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
for that matter, he should have known even before signing up for the show, what each set was going to be and had it down pat... so there really is no excuse here; Dan screwed up!
Again, second hand information here. Read those threads. Check out the last iTricks.com chat if you can.

They did not give him the choice of performing anything else. They may not have even given him the choice of performing this one effect the way he wanted to. The manufacturer of that arm saw is on Sperry's side as well.

I do, however, agree wholeheartedly with your venom against AGT. I hope it spreads like wildfire through message boards and ring meetings.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Again, second hand information here. Read those threads. Check out the last iTricks.com chat if you can.

They did not give him the choice of performing anything else. They may not have even given him the choice of performing this one effect the way he wanted to. The manufacturer of that arm saw is on Sperry's side as well.

I do, however, agree wholeheartedly with your venom against AGT. I hope it spreads like wildfire through message boards and ring meetings.

So you're saying that the talent involved with the show has to do material they aren't familiar with? Their props are supplied by the show producers and not the performer?

If that's the case no one would get involved, espcially someone like Kevin James or for that matter Terry Fator... I can just see him being forced to use a puppet not from his stable let alone a routine he hadn't yet worked on... same with the other performers

I have no idea who made the saw... the issue was the dummy arm which is the wrong size and improperly made all the way around when it comes to that illusion... as I've said, I've owned two of the things, one was an orginal Thayer so I'm very familiar with what that illusion is, what the ins & outs are, etc. It's quite difficult to screw it up IF it's been made properly and more importantly, rehearsed... no added misdirection is required in that the switch is made in under a second's time.

When I was doing this piece I had people from the audience holding the hand and bicep and they didn't even notice the gimmick. In this bit on AGT you could tell the gimmick from 40 ft away... it is the maker's fault when it comes to the quality of the device and it is Dan's fault when it comes to accepting the prop for his part of the show and not standing up to the producers knowing that such a piece would make him look bad and ultimately hurt magic. That's where the blame lays and that's what Dan must now overcome.

Personally, had I been placed into that position I'd gotten on the forums well ahead of time and post complaints along side MP3 files of conversations involving my side of the show and what the producers wanted vs. what I was prepared to deliver. I'd go out of my way to EXPOSE THEM rather than allowing them to use me as a vehicle for exposing magic and worse, making me look like a half-assed performer that don't care.

Yes, I take the AGT screw ups personally since that idiot cowboy exposed Kenny and my illusion (Shadow Vision) on the show and then had the audacity to pass up the offer to reshoot the bit and do it right. He had no right to even be doing that effect, he borrowed it from someone else who should have known better.

AGT may have its various bits of interferrence but it still comes down to the person on stage doing the bit. The guys that screw up a routine/effect are responsible, not anyone else.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results