David Blaine - Page Six Article + JB's Response

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
The New York Post published an article today in their Page Six Magazine detailing what went wrong with David Blaine's latest endurance challenge, along with some discussion on his career up to this point. Check it out here.

A select quote from the article:

But over the past couple of years, public perception of David Blaine has flipped from genius to joke. He's earned a reputation in the media as a womanizer with a quick temper, and just two weeks ago, "Page Six" ran an item claiming that David ditched a bar after staff refused to comp his bottle service. (David says of the gossip: "People can believe what they want about me. The press loves to drum up a good story.") Days later, when he ended his Dive of Death stunt, bystanders actually booed. Viewership of the event's ABC broadcast last week clocked in at just 7.7 million—less than half the number of people who tuned in to see him eight years ago. And then there's the fact that his two recent tricks faltered: He did not break the underwater breath-holding record with 2006's Drowned Alive, and he is unhappy with Dive of Death...

JB's response to the article:

Regarding the New York Post - I spoke with [the writer] myself at the site for nearly an hour, of which none was in the article. Maybe one of the qualifications to get into the article was talking s***? I didn’t think that article was a fair assessment at all. The Drowned Alive record attempt was not a “trick faltering” - because it wasn’t a trick. In my mind, not meeting the record at the end of the Drowned Alive special was perhaps more poignant a moment than if he had. It showed humanity. It showed him not giving up. And in defeat, it really did show triumph. And months later, he tore up the record live on Oprah - something pretty bold to do live, given the obvious possibility that it might have ended the same way.

I take the writer at what it’s worth in understanding that the conclusion of this stunt didn’t go as planned, and was obviously a disappointing end to some viewers. But to discount an hour and 50 minutes of incredible magic and only discuss the final 10 seconds of the special - I think David deserves more respect and credit than that.

What are your thoughts?

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
But to discount an hour and 50 minutes of incredible magic and only discuss the final 10 seconds of the special - I think David deserves more respect and credit than that.

I couldn't agree more.

It seems everyone is focusing on the mishap at the end of the show - no-one's taking into account the magic performed before hand. And I believe it's the same with all magic. You could perform half an hour of flawless magic, but if you slip-up on that last sleight - your performance has effectively been ruined. Unless, of course, you have the chance to talk your way out of it. Unfortunately, David couldn't do much talking as he was shooting up into the air away from every shocked spectator. And as most of America was watching, it's hard to cover that mistake.

In all, I think some of it is uncontrollable. If such a mistake happens, be it David's fault or not, on national tv it's difficult to make up for it. But I do think he should be cut some slack, the special was great. :)

Just my $0.02.

-Sam H

While I agree with everyone, all the great magic that happened before, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. When something like that is sooooo hyped up, and then fails, you can't help but focus on the error at the end. True, it was one helluva special with some incredible pieces of magic, but at the same time, that was a distant second to the laymen compared to what the ending was suppose to be. With that failing, they forgot about the great magic, awesome reactions, and zeroed in on the negatives.

Kinda like when we have a bad performance, or mess up on a sleight. Most spectators won't notice that, due to them concentrating a lot on the end result; the climax. DB's special was similar. Most of the people watching, were watching JUST BECAUSE of the ending. Since it didn't go as planned, to hell with all the great magic is what they're thinking. As flawed as it might seem to magicians, that's just how it is.

But still, some AWESOME pieces of magic in that special none-the-less, and to me, that was the best part. :)

Oct 3, 2007
germany
What's worse, members of the magic community feel betrayed by the fact that David focuses more on these endurance stunts than on old-fashioned magic. "He started to go AWOL with all the stunts. It was very off the deep end," says Brad Christian, CEO of Ellusionist, a Web site that trains and supports aspiring street magicians. "To a majority of magicians, he is a bit of a joke now."

I just wanted to know if I was the only one who COMPLETELY disagrees with this statement. It makes me wonder, who is Brad Christian to say that his opinion counts for the intirety of the magic community?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I just wanted to know if I was the only one who COMPLETELY disagrees with this statement. It makes me wonder, who is Brad Christian to say that his opinion counts for the intirety of the magic community?

Has anyone actually seen brad perform besides in the DVD's?
well id just like to point out that most people at my school saw the special and immediately the next day came up to me and talked great about the magic.
The majority like the endurance test of his but at they jump they said they were confused.But many of them enjoyed the whole show.
so not everyone thinks he is a joke.almost no one.
Thats just the way the media spins things.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
What's worse, members of the magic community feel betrayed by the fact that David focuses more on these endurance stunts than on old-fashioned magic. "He started to go AWOL with all the stunts. It was very off the deep end," says Brad Christian, CEO of Ellusionist, a Web site that trains and supports aspiring street magicians. "To a majority of magicians, he is a bit of a joke now."

Wait, wait, wait. Remind me, who's capitalising on DB's stunt with a huge blog page dominated by "where to get DB's tricks" again? Just another reason why more and more respected magicians are hating Ellusionist.

In the end, it's just the media. The media sells on reporting half the truth, and beating the rest up.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
lol now brad christian is talking big.

Yeah, that's why I was going to say, I mean, what is he talking about???

Brad Christian just does magic for profit, I have never saw a performance of his of any matter, he just sells some magic stuff at his site. Now THAT guy stinks.

Hipocryte, have you been to E lately? he has a whole section regarding David blaine "products" O yeah, talk what you want about blaine Mr.Christian! Im going to your site right now to buy Blaine stuff.PFFt!

David blaine does what he wants to do and all we do is complaint??? if he failed on his finale , what? I have ruined my finales a dozens of times, and people dont remember me for that, they remember me for countless other times where I have made them smile.

We should do the same... Shame on you Mr.Christian! If I could just go and give you a wedgie!:mad:

Mar 29, 2008
Brad Christian - I think he is mistaking Blaine for his instructional videos and magic ability - there is a joke.

Honestly, that special was the best I have seen in a long time - great magic and lots of variety - I mean the guy took a punch from Kimbo Slice, catches a bullet...and hangs upside down for a crazy amount of time....not to mention, introduces some cool effects to the world...but the ending didn't pan out the way he wanted...so they hate on him? What did people expect?

I think Brad needs to put his finger on the pulse..and not somewhere else that makes his deck sticky. Also, what a horrible article to try and overshadow a great show - perhaps the best since his second....I guess it is hard to compete with the real joke - a middle aged wannabe Gothic magician that walks on water.....wow! I hate magic sometimes...nope, just magicians.

STOOGE OUT!

Robc

Elite Member
Dec 3, 2007
New York City
www.youtube.com
The magic on the show was awesome, even though the dive did not go as planned it overall was great. I was there when he did the dive and the people around looked all disappointed but I mean sh*t happens. My opinion is he should stick with the magic on the streets and forget these stunts.

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
I admit, I was a little upset when I heard he was coming down to use the bathroom, but honestly I don't really care what anyone else thinks. Like him or hate him. But make sure that whatever you choose put yourself in their shoes. Can you do better?

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA
To praetoritevong, Copperfield14, RDChopper, Morgician, Zephil, visualartist and those of you who are interested in the other side of the story: Brad Christian has posted his response to the Page Six story in this post on iTricks.com.

Full disclosure: I'm a contributor for E's blog. But given the tone of Rachel Syme's story, everything Jonathan Bayme said about the reporter and the New York Post's reputation for borderline tabloid sensationalism, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Brad was taken out of context. Seriously, did you see the tone of the article? It's a hatchet job.
~joe

Last edited by a moderator:
To praetoritevong, Copperfield14, RDChopper, Morgician, Zephil, visualartist and those of you who are interested in the other side of the story: Brad Christian has posted his response to the Page Six story in this post on iTricks.com.

Full disclosure: I'm a contributor for E's blog. But given the tone of Rachel Syme's story, everything Jonathan Bayme said about the reporter and the New York Post's reputation for borderline tabloid sensationalism, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Brad was taken out of context. Seriously, did you see the tone of the article? It's a hatchet job.
~joe

Just read that myself.

I was hoping this was the case. I found it hard to believe that Brad would have said such a thing. I feel a bit bad for thinking otherwise, but hey...I'm only human.

And half dog....so I guess my worse half got the better of me.

Rabid

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results