Definition of Underground Magic/Magician

Aug 10, 2008
Honduras

Ladies & Gentleman. I do not know if you as I have wondered what the definition of underground magic truly is? Any ideas on this majestic word? :eek:

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Well daniel madison once stated that an underground magician is not the type of magician that does the kind of flashy/commercial magic.With the top hat and pulling rabbits out of hats type of magician.
I dont necessarily think the word underground is valid anymore.because laymen dont have that perception of magicians much anymore.(i know,ive asked)
They have been used to the magic of cyril and david blaine that is more "real".

Jul 15, 2008
Kinda like street magic?

I hear a lot of kids using it these days when discussing old tricks that have existed for ages, but they think they came up with it and give it a new name and call it an underground sleight while most of us roll our eyes and damn this is a long sentence.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
It used to mean an artist out of the mainstream. Usually magicians were given the term if they were very good, but kept a very low profile. Now people just throw the phrase around to make somebody sound mysterious and skillful.

I mean, Daniel Madison was described as an "underground artist" recently. Come on, everybody knows who he is. We've kind of killed the word now.

David

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
It used to mean an artist out of the mainstream. Usually magicians were given the term if they were very good, but kept a very low profile. Now people just throw the phrase around to make somebody sound mysterious and skillful.

I mean, Daniel Madison was described as an "underground artist" recently. Come on, everybody knows who he is. We've kind of killed the word now.

David

well theory11 declares themselves the "underground" magic and cardistry epicenter.I think its just a way to identify their independence from the rest of the "mainstream".
just because hundreds of people know them doesnt mean they've lost that.An example might be releasing every single new effect that comes out.
kind of like miramax.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Underground for me is something that the performer's dont want that the complete public knows about, maybe hand selected people.. Like underground tutorials on cardistry, or clipshift, many people knew it, but it was underground, tnr by mathieu bich was underground, some people knew about it, but it didnt get to the surface, until t11 released it..

Hope you get my point

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
Underground for me is something that the performer's dont want that the complete publick knows about, maybe hand selected eople.. Like underground tutorials on cardistry, or clipshift, many people knew it, but it was underground, tnr by mathieu bich was underground, some people knew about it, but it didnt get to the surface, until t11 released it..

Hope you get my point[/QUOTE

you beat me to it

Underground for me is something that the performer's dont want that the complete publick knows about, maybe hand selected eople.. Like underground tutorials on cardistry, or clipshift, many people knew it, but it was underground, tnr by mathieu bich was underground, some people knew about it, but it didnt get to the surface, until t11 released it..

Hope you get my point

you beat me to it

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
If I may interject...

The magic underground refers to magicians who do not strive for critical acclaim within their peers, but who dedicate their time to performing for real world audience's. They generally receive a level of acclaim within their profession, however, through the creation and sharing of original magic.
Recently the term has been bastardised and used to describe any magician with a level of marketing savvy- ness.

I could list a few more reknowned names in the arena of 'underground magicians', but as they are where they choose to be (underground) It seems a tad... silly. I'll just leave them where they are, hapilly destroying lay-minds!

CL

Sep 2, 2007
London
I would say "underground" is a term that has been used so much it's lost its meaning. No disrespect or offence intended, but I can't see how Theory 11 could seriously be described as "underground". The artists are extremely well known within magic, and their work has even impacted on the general public (via associations with David Copperfield and David Blaine for example), also the products are generally marketed rather than restricted to a limited number of people. I would say that "underground" would more sensibly be applied to someone like Joey Burton or Bebel, or, in his day, John Ramsay. People who have built up their reputation through word of mouth and personal contact rather than publishing their work. I would also describe limited run texts like Bruce Cervon's "Castle Notebooks" and Jeff Busby's "Braue on False Deals", as underground.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I would say "underground" is a term that has been used so much it's lost its meaning. No disrespect or offence intended, but I can't see how Theory 11 could seriously be described as "underground". The artists are extremely well known within magic, and their work has even impacted on the general public (via associations with David Copperfield and David Blaine for example), also the products are generally marketed rather than restricted to a limited number of people. I would say that "underground" would more sensibly be applied to someone like Joey Burton or Bebel, or, in his day, John Ramsay. People who have built up their reputation through word of mouth and personal contact rather than publishing their work. I would also describe limited run texts like Bruce Cervon's "Castle Notebooks" and Jeff Busby's "Braue on False Deals", as underground.

Very nicely put.

Bruce Cervon- legend. sorely missed.

CL

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results