Departure and all its subtlety...

Oct 23, 2016
Singapore
I purchased Departure but the problem comes when the ring that we're playing with is too light. When that happens, you can obviously see that the cable is being pulled and you can visibly see the ring fly into the pocket. I don't have a heavy train to practice with as the one I wear on my finger is relatively light. UNLESS the ungimmick Odyssey ring (I ordered it and am waiting for it to arrive also, patiently!) can do it then perhaps I can practice using the ungimmick Odyssey ring.

What kind of advice or tips would you guys give regarding this?

I have Ring Flight Revolution and I use my ungimmicked Odyssey ring to practice with it all the time. It's a "heavy" ring so the issues you are having with a light ring should be corrected with Odyssey ungimmicked ring.

You shouldn't be able to see a ring fly into a pocket even if the ring is light. My recommendation is you need to focus more on your misdirection. When I perform ring flight, I will ask the spectators to hold out their hand and act like I'm going to put it back on them. This will give you a good enough misdirection for you allow your gimmick to do it's thing and have the ring fly out of sight. I also will combine this moment with Vapr and make it appear like the ring is vanishing on their hand in smoke. It's a great moment. I should be able to share videos of my performance of it when I release my Ring Flight Revolution review on my YouTube channel. Stay tuned!

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Also wear a jacket. Jacket is mucho helpful in hiding the pull.

On kind of a side note, because I'd love to hear your thoughts on this: I purchased Ring Flight Revolution, then started to script a routine and realized that it doesn't make sense at all. Why does the ring vanish? More importantly, why does it appear on your car keys of all places? What's the point? Because it's a cool trick? This thing is way cool, but it's so hard to make it matter and make sense at the same time.

Oct 23, 2016
Singapore
Thank you very much for the input, Notsoltd and Tyler! I can't wait to get Odyssey and SvenPad!

Also wear a jacket. Jacket is mucho helpful in hiding the pull.

On kind of a side note, because I'd love to hear your thoughts on this: I purchased Ring Flight Revolution, then started to script a routine and realized that it doesn't make sense at all. Why does the ring vanish? More importantly, why does it appear on your car keys of all places? What's the point? Because it's a cool trick? This thing is way cool, but it's so hard to make it matter and make sense at the same time.

I feel that tricks in general, are just tricks. What makes the tricks so special is when you start to relate to things and have a story. Tricks are just tools, and if I can define them, they are all "utility tools". Things that allows you to do something with it. Strike a conversation, impress someone, get someone's number, make yourself look cool, etc.

I always felt that magic is an art, and I look at it from an artistic point of view with the subtle angling and such as science. A very beautifully woven alchemy. Perhaps, you can have a story behind it. I always have somewhat like a story. When I do my colour change, I would take out 5 cards from my deck and told them they are playing a game of Texas Hold'em, and all they needed was 1 card to achieve a Straight Flush. Wouldn't it be cool, if they could change (at this point of time I would do the colour change), their existing card and win the game?

After which I would do a quick shuffle for them to look at my cards and leave them wondering how it was done. Colour change is a very simple trick but if you can have a story, it can add in so much more.

I feel perhaps, the disappearing ring could be..."if you had lost something this valuable to you, how would you feel? How would you feel if I had lost it, not drop it but perhaps..." then at this point of time you make it disappear and look at them, "like this?"

I don't know, I mean I always experiment and roleplay with myself a story. I also try it on my colleagues for their opinion.

Yeah I definitely get what you mean. The presentation I use (not sure if it's captured before my friend started filming) is I noticed a girl wearing a ring at a party and I asked her if she would like to see me do a magic trick with it. I placed it on my finger and acted like it was too small for me to do sleight of hand with it so I then acted like I was about to hand it back to her. As I was about to place it in her hand I slowly began to rub her hand with both of my hands (if I'm wearing Vapr I will make smoke appear as well) and said you know what it vanished! My character is a bit of a troll so I will tease them by saying stuff like "Oh no was that ring important to you? I'm so sorry!" What this does it makes the moment more personal. One of the girls told me the ring was what she had bought in France. Once I have established the ring is personal to them and make that connection I will ask them if they ever saw me go near my back pocket. They assume I'm about to take out the ring and I play off of that and give them an anti-climax and say it's just my car keys..........but on my car keys I have this ring that is really locked on there. And from there I would have them take the ring off themselves. So the way I do it, the reason the ring appears on the car keys is irrelevant. The presentation I'm using is that I'm somewhat trolling them with my "magical powers".

Another good ring flight presentation is the one that Scott Alexander uses. You will have to be weary of who your audience is since the humor is a little PG-13 but it cracks me up every time!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results