Desperate need of tricks

Mar 8, 2008
Hawaii
hey, this is todd (once again). im just wondering if anyone has any good stage magic tricks that i could use. id consider myself a beginner/intermediate magician and i mostly work with cards. i plan on already using Distortion by Wayne Houchin. but i have NO idea where else to find good tricks for a 15-30 min show at a high school banquet in 6 weeks. if u have any ideas, please let me know ASAP lol.

thanks,
Todd

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Are you sure Distortion would be good for stage? Can everybody see what's going on? Is 6 weeks enough time to learn and develop new tricks? These are three things which I think you should take into consideration.

Jan 11, 2008
New york
hey, this is todd (once again). im just wondering if anyone has any good stage magic tricks that i could use. id consider myself a beginner/intermediate magician and i mostly work with cards. i plan on already using Distortion by Wayne Houchin. but i have NO idea where else to find good tricks for a 15-30 min show at a high school banquet in 6 weeks. if u have any ideas, please let me know ASAP lol.

thanks,
Todd

what can you do with cards?

Dec 5, 2007
Woha 30 minute stage performance is long if your not experienced with stage work its alot harder then just performe for friends and so on. A great script/performance is almost more important then the effects. I would not recommend to use cards as its hard for people to see its also hard to do sleights on stage becaus people far from behind and the sides and so on can catch you.

One recommendation is to get a Jumbo deck and get Osterlinds mind mystery vol 2 with the breaktrough card system and do the effect card calling, it kills.

Dec 5, 2007
Indiana, USA
Todd, I really wouldn't try to create a 30 minute show in the next 6 weeks. Magic is so much more than a trick that you like to perform. I have seen performers do 5 minutes with a spectator and a quarter, with a trick found in Tarbell, and bring the house down. Learn one trick, such as Professor's Nightmare or maybe a Jumbo Invisible Deck, then practice a simple presentation. You may not think tricks like these are very "cool" but there are thousands of professionals who make their living performing tricks that have been around forever. But they have been doing them for years, have learned how to combine a perfectly-executed magic trick with their personality, and can perform it in their sleep.

I don't want to discourage you. But a failed stage performance because of a lack of preparation will be more discouraging than anything I could say here.

Good luck to you...

Nov 26, 2007
you could try doing some stage pickpocketing, mastering the art of pickpocketing is a great dvd for learning and you can get come pretty cheap inflatable mannequin's on eBay to practice on

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I have to agree with these guys, 30 minutes is a long time especially for somebody who doesn't have the tricks he is going to perform fairly mastered. Most magicians can do 4 to 5 tricks and take only 5-10 minutes. You also have to realize that stage magic is a completely different "beast" from close-up magic. Its very difficult to do close-up magic (where you want a deep personal connection with a small group) on stage (where you want a connection with an entire audience). The audience has to be able to see what is going on very clearly. Bringing somebody on stage and doing a trick for them won't cut it, the audience won't know what happened.

Dec 5, 2007
Yes a stage performance is TOTALY different, its not so much about the tricks its more about having a great performance to get the energy going.

Its the same as performing music on stage, you can be a fantastic musician but really boring to watch becaus your just playing your music, and you can have some mediocer musicians that has a fantastic performance and it will be much more entertaining show and the music will probably sound better to you even if its not.

Most magicians/comedians/musicians does rehearsal their shows several months before they performe.

I would do 1 or 2 tricks and work on some good presentation for them and for stage if you dont have much time i would do Osterlinds card calling osterlind uses it in his stage show with jumbo cards.

The effect goes like this, you ask a spectator to pick a bunch of cards, maybe 10 cards and you turn around and then you tell them wich card theyr looking att and reveals all the cards. Its great for stage and you can ask the audience to keep an eye on you so you dont cheat.

Mar 8, 2008
Hawaii
hey nate

what can you do with cards?

i can do tricks like Ambitious Card Trick, Hit and Run, Two Detectives, The Biddle Trick, and Triumph. so i know the basics (Double Lifts, Glide, Breaks, etc.). u got any advice for stage tricks? (i can't use any of the above because ive shown them already :S

thanks
Todd

Jan 11, 2008
New york
Do you know how to have a card picked, lost in the deck and make it end up in a lemon? ......and you seem to already have the skill to pull it off. It plays big nicely.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results