Ditching a card

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Hey guys.. I'm just working on an effect here and I want to ditch a card at the end of the effect just to heighten the impossibility of the effect. It's not imperitive but it'd just enhance it.

So, what's the best way to ditch a card?

If your answer is going to be "misdirection" can you please expand on it and tell me what I can do to misdirect in order to ditch?

If you don't think it should be told in the thread, PM me.

Thanks,
James

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Simplest way to ditch a card in my opinion, is to simply palm it off.
Palm the card add misdirection in whatever way and slip the card into your pocket.

Jul 4, 2008
i think the most easy way to dictch a card is just palm it and put it in your pocket, easy and simple.

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
mmmmm.. i totally agree.. however, my personal "philosophy", if you will, of magic is do NOT make any moves which in the spectator's mind has no purpose. so imagine it from the spectator's point of view; does the movement you just did have a purpose?

i'll give you an example: having an outjogged card being displayed in one hand at the end of a spread at eye level, then taking that card (and another behind it) in the other hand and displaying it on the top of the rest of the cards.. (i don't know what it's called.. but it's just a simple way of adding a card behind the one being displayed)

what's the purpose of swapping the card to the other hand? to show other spectators who perhaps can't see. that's why you only do that move when there's a crowd.. you don't do it to one person, it makes no sense to do it..

because of this "philosophy", i don't like the invisible pass.. awesome move, but there's no reason to bring the cards up to your face then suddenly swing them down low; that's what the spectator sees. you might say "the reason is that you're 'looking' at the cards".. well can't you look at them down low??

so ANYWAY.. the point to all of this, is i don't want to just stick my hand in my pocket for no reason. so. if palming the card and ditching it in my pocket is the best way.. what's the reason i'm going to my pocket? basically, if they happen to see my hand going into my pocket with supposedly nothing in it and then i pull it back out still with nothing in it, it's very suspicious. but if i say put my hand into my pocket (ditch) and pulled something else out.. there's a reason.

Feb 28, 2008
I'm not sure what the effect is exactly, but these guys are right about just palming it off. If possible, when the effect is done and your audiene is oohing and ahhing, palming off the card should be easy as everyone will be looking away... if that's not possible you might want to explain your effect.

Also, something I do with gaffs is, I end up putting the whole deck in my pocket and when I take it back out I just leave the gaff, which is usually on top or bottom, in my pocket.

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I'm not sure what the effect is exactly, but these guys are right about just palming it off. If possible, when the effect is done and your audiene is oohing and ahhing, palming off the card should be easy as everyone will be looking away... if that's not possible you might want to explain your effect.

Also, something I do with gaffs is, I end up putting the whole deck in my pocket and when I take it back out I just leave the gaff, which is usually on top or bottom, in my pocket.

which is, in my mind, a better way of ditching because you can easily form a reason for doing that.. you can say beforehand "i've gotta wrap this up soon" then finish the trick and put the deck away.. then say.. "hmm.. actually i think i've got time for one more/a couple more tricks"

i was going to mention that, except with what oz pearlman did for i think it was blindsided; to ditch he started putting the deck back into the box and then pulled it back out again. if they say "show me the deck", it's perfect because you can get halfway in the box, ditch, then say "oh ok, here you go".

as for my effect, i don't want to give too much away because i think it could potentially be quite strong.. anyway.. it's involves a double-backer which i don't want to be in there when showing that there are no double-backers anymore. only problem is the double-backer will be 3rd from top which makes it a little harder to ditch.. but i have a way around that.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Reach into your pocket (with card palmed) to check your phone, or even to pull the card case out to put the deck back in the box. Anything which to you, you would naturally do anyway. If it's to check your phone, smoke cigarettes, check your wallet for change, anything that to you feels like a natural thing to do :)

- Sean

Dec 22, 2007
do a gambler's cop and put both hands in your pockets, so it looks like your just chilling like a sloth inside of a centipede's nest.

D

Deleted member 2755

Well, as others say, I would palm or cop a card. Call attention to something else and when all heat is off of you, drop it in your pocket.

However, just a quick tip. When the effect is over, do not rush into putting the card into your pocket. If you just finished an effect, and you immediately put the card in your pocket, you will have bad results as people will be suspicious.

I hope that helps.

-Doug

Oct 6, 2007
Well then you have to find a reason to go into your pocket.

Sometimes I even pretend to take something out to use, but then change my mind and say "Oh, wait, I won't need it"..

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Reach into your pocket (with card palmed) to check your phone, or even to pull the card case out to put the deck back in the box. Anything which to you, you would naturally do anyway. If it's to check your phone, smoke cigarettes, check your wallet for change, anything that to you feels like a natural thing to do :)

- Sean

nice.. that's more the answer i was looking for. that's doing something with purpose.

i guess what i kinda want to know is what's worked best for you guys? i can just see actually pulling something out of your pocket being way more convincing than just trying to pull a ton of misdirection.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Shouldn't be tough to strip out a card at 3rd. Just get a break under the top double and you could either side steal it, bring the top 2 cards to the bottom of the deck in a sort of pass motion or do like a erdnase color change to bring the double backer to the top.

Should be pretty easy to ditch from there.

D.

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
Master the cop!
Gamblers cop while passing the deck to the spectator and shift your body a little so as to ditch it in your back pocket. No one ever suspects the back pocket. :D

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
i just realised something.. the palm to pocket is still suspicious, even if i pulled my phone out to check the time.. i'd only want to do the palm to pocket once the effect's completely finished. it doesn't look good if a performer check their phone halfway through a performance even if it was legitimate.

the reason it will still look dodgy is because i will have just done the reveal, then i need to show that there is no double-backer. if i were to ditch at any point during the performance, it would have to be before i show all of the cards.

so it would be:

* performance
* check phone
* ribbon spread

wouldn't look good. so it seems the reason i go to my pocket has to be part of the performance.

hmmmm.

edit: that last gambler's cop idea ^^ not so bad actually.... as far as pure misdirection goes.

Nov 6, 2007
Yeah palming is probably your best bet in most conditions, with a reason of course as others have said.

However, if you are using a double backer, you could conceal a piece of double sided tape, or magicians wax, although I've personally never used, and load it on the bottom, or "face" (haha, what the hell) of the double backer. That way, by simply cutting the deck, you would effectively join the double backer with another normal card, thereby apparently having just the normal card (except 2x thicker).

So now, you could very easily spread the cards out and handle them loosely to show that every card in the deck is completely normal. At that point, the tension or suspicion the audience had would be reduced immensely and it would make it much easier for you to ditch the dirty card (especially if you are crap at palming like me :p)

Anyhow, just thought I'd throw that out there considering no one has mentioned it yet.

Break bread.

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
yeh i was thinking of double stick actually.. but doing it from the start of the performance.. however, part of the effect is that the double-backer is thoroughly examined.. which is why you'd only introduce the double stick at the end when needed.

i can just see myself getting caught with that though.

Nov 6, 2007
yeh i was thinking of double stick actually.. but doing it from the start of the performance.. however, part of the effect is that the double-backer is thoroughly examined.. which is why you'd only introduce the double stick at the end when needed.

i can just see myself getting caught with that though.

Just stick a piece of magician's wax to your wrist then. I believe from there all you would have to do is get the double backer to the bottom and make a gesture or something to get the deck over the piece of wax, which should cause it to stick to the card. But like I've said, I've never used that stuff before.

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Just stick a piece of magician's wax to your wrist then. I believe from there all you would have to do is get the double backer to the bottom and make a gesture or something to get the deck over the piece of wax, which should cause it to stick to the card. But like I've said, I've never used that stuff before.

yeah fair enough. thanks for the idea. if i do end up doing that, it'll be double stick though.

but if possible, i'd prefer just sleight of hand.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results