Does Anyone Recommend Any Luke Jermay Books For Me?

May 3, 2008
I'm a huge fan of Luke Jermay and all of his work and I was wondering if anyone reccomended one of his books and if so
which one. What do you guys think is the best?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I don't want to sound rude but weren't you thinking about 13 Steps recently in an EI thread if I am not mistake. I think most of his material is a little advanced at the moment. In almost all of his books he will assume you have a fairly high understanding of mentalism.

Aug 13, 2009
Luke Jermay's 7 Deceptions. I dont personally have this paticular book, but I've been looking at it for quite a while, and I'm getting it soon. Thats just what I personally would get. What's your skill level though? It could make a difference...we can't really suggest anything for you Specifically unless we know your skill level :)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I don't want to sound rude but weren't you thinking about 13 Steps recently in an EI thread if I am not mistake. I think most of his material is a little advanced at the moment. In almost all of his books he will assume you have a fairly high understanding of mentalism.

Beginners looking for "tricks". It happens, as sure as the sun will rise in the morrow.

Everyone wants to learn the tricks, no-one wants to learn how to perform them.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
-.- Fiiine. Let me rephrase.

This is a common problem with a lot of young mentalists, and from the info that we've got, it sounds like the OPer is falling into the same trap, so beware, because it will only make your performances worse.

May 3, 2008
Beginners looking for "tricks". It happens, as sure as the sun will rise in the morrow.

Everyone wants to learn the tricks, no-one wants to learn how to perform them.

Um...who said I was a beginner? That seems a bit rude. I've been practicing magic and mentalism for a few years. The reason I wanted to buy 13 Steps To Mentalism was because it seems like there's some stuff in there that I don't know and it could be helpful. I wanted to buy some Luke Jermay material because it seems really good and yes, I do already have some experience in mentalism.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Um...who said I was a beginner? That seems a bit rude. I've been practicing magic and mentalism for a few years. The reason I wanted to buy 13 Steps To Mentalism was because it seems like there's some stuff in there that I don't know and it could be helpful. I wanted to buy some Luke Jermay material because it seems really good and yes, I do already have some experience in mentalism.

If you haven't gotten 13 Steps, you have no business calling and aren't ready to call yourself anything other than a beginner. Just my opinion.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Yes, and?

[Word Count]

LOL Crud, I've been a beginner for 3 years ><

We'll It depends what you mean by beginner. To me a beginner is someone who only has, or maybe lacks the basic knowledge about a subject. I don't think one has to read Royal Road or 13 Steps in order to gain this basic knowledge, because there are other sources out there e.g. Fundamentals, Annemann etc.

What Prae is trying to say penguindude, is that you need the proper grounding first before you progress into the more difficult stuff, so do touch up on the basics before you go further. Luke Jermay's work on mentalism isn't beginner material.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I believe Luke can say it best from his work in Coral Fang (paraphrased). In regard to the burst bubble suggestion, he talks about getting the info written on a billet by either a centre tear or billet switch.

I will not tell you how to gain the information as it can be found in 13 steps or practical mental magic. (this is the important part) If you don't have these works put this down and run [I mean run] to your local magic shop and pick them up now.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
LOL Crud, I've been a beginner for 3 years ><

Yes, and?

You're on the right track. This basic knowledge that you speak of, about a subject, is indeed missing with a beginner.

What does this basic knowledge consist of?

Knowledge of sleight of hand
Knowledge of performance theory
Knowledge of magic history/magic as an art
Performing experience

Now, when you consider books like Royal Road to Card Magic, and 13 Steps to Mentalism, they are considered the basic building blocks of their respective fields. True, their sleights and even their lessons and effects, or at least a great part thereof, can be learned from different places. For one, you can learn them from a mentor, for example.

But Royal Road and 13 Steps do not simply cover the first two points, they cover the third. They are an essential part of the history the art, having being considered classics, essentials, and bibles, for so long, and form a staple in magical literature. In this sense, not having read them and experienced them is like performing magic without knowing anything about the art. Not knowing the history of the art, not knowing or having read the cornerstones of the art, is performing without the basic knowledge you correctly spoke of earlier.

The idea of studying Cognitive Load Theory for the psychologists out there, without reading George A. Miller's The Magical Number Seven, Plus or Minus Two (1956), is absurd. The idea of studying Macroeconomics without having studied Keynes, is absurd. The idea of studying Tacitus without reading Annals is absurd. The idea of studying philosophy without the slightest idea about Plato, no matter what school of thought you belong to or affiliate with, is absurd to any serious, professional or otherwise advanced exponent of the field.

The idea of studying card magic/mentalism without having read these respective titles is essentially performing magic without a key aspect of the basic knowledge or understanding for its history, development, and current status. If you do not have this basic knowledge, then yes, you are a beginner.

May 3, 2008
I just figured I'd let you guys know I just ordered 13 Steps to Mentalism last night. I've been considering it for a while. Thanks for the advice though.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Just to throw another POV into the conversation, while 13 steps is a very comprehensive book for the beginner in mentalism, it's not to say that the information within couldn't be found from other sources - I didn't add 13 steps to my library till about 2 years ago, yet I'd been studying more advanced works of mentalism demanding this basic knowledge for several years previous to this.

The information can be found elsewhere, but not without a lot of study and reading a lot more books - 13 steps is a great comprehensive starting point, but it's not to say it's the only way.

Uri Geller mentioned to me that he'd only bought 13 steps about 6 months ago - He's never read the book and he did alright for himself :p

As mentalist's it's our job to think outside the box, there's no single path to follow, it's just that with a book like 13 steps, everything is handed to you in one place, which is why it's so highly regarded and why my chums D ICE R and Prae above are recommending so strongly!

Great to hear that you made the investment penguincdude, I'm sure you've a fun path ahead of you!!

Best,

DC

May 3, 2008
Just to throw another POV into the conversation, while 13 steps is a very comprehensive book for the beginner in mentalism, it's not to say that the information within couldn't be found from other sources - I didn't add 13 steps to my library till about 2 years ago, yet I'd been studying more advanced works of mentalism demanding this basic knowledge for several years previous to this.

The information can be found elsewhere, but not without a lot of study and reading a lot more books - 13 steps is a great comprehensive starting point, but it's not to say it's the only way.

Uri Geller mentioned to me that he'd only bought 13 steps about 6 months ago - He's never read the book and he did alright for himself :p

As mentalist's it's our job to think outside the box, there's no single path to follow, it's just that with a book like 13 steps, everything is handed to you in one place, which is why it's so highly regarded and why my chums D ICE R and Prae above are recommending so strongly!

Great to hear that you made the investment penguincdude, I'm sure you've a fun path ahead of you!!

Best,

DC

Thanks. I noticed one thing that's really important for mentalism is to have a steady definition of what mentalism is. I've seen videos of Luke Jermay and Banachek and when they're asked they have a really interesting definition that doesn't make them seem psychic but it makes them seem like they really can read minds and do some extraordinary stuff.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results