Does Anyone Recommend Any Luke Jermay Books For Me?

I'm still a beginner in mentalism but I don't believe you need to read 13 Steps or even Fundamentals to get past being a beginner same goes with Royal Road. There are plenty of other books and videos that can go over similar material that can help you understand more about mentalism.

However if you are buying effect after effect then you certainly are a beginner and will stay that way until you get a book or video dedicated more to teaching presentation rather than effects.

13 steps to Mentalism
Fundamentals

Newest one I have been recommended is Alchemical Tools and pratically the best thing in mentalism from many reviews from top mentalists and smaller practicioners.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Paul's Alchemical Tools is a WICKED book - Lots of stuff in there which will take you up to the next level in your performances, lots of interesting notes on the psychology of performance illustrated perfectly by Brook's own experiences.

While it's not a text for beginners, I'd advise everyone that can to take a look at Paul's stuff - Very well thought out and exciting to read. He includes a lot of stuff that seems obvious, when you read it you just go: "ahhhhhhhh, YEAH!!!"

Great stuff!

DC

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Dee is right Alchemical Tools is probably the one of if not the next level books I have ever read. There is so much life in his writing style that it is actually enjoying to read and not just for the information. The reason this book is not really suited to the beginner is that it will take a lot of deep thought about your own presentations, and force you to think about everything about your performance. However, at the end of the day perfecting a performance piece so that the audience has the most control over it (in their minds) yet you still are in 100% is one of the best feelings in the world.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Performance theory and how to get the most out of all your routines.

There are 4 effects and a large section on cold reading. However none of them are that advanced interms of method, Paul shows you that you can use simple things key cards, ultra mental decks to create real moments for the spectator.

With that being said if you are looking for effects leave this book alone it is not worth your time in that regard. This book asks you to make a promise that I don't think you are ready to make.

Ultimately it will be waste of time and money if you were to pick this up right now. Get your foundations right then if you really want to take mentalism seriously then pick this book up.

May 3, 2008
Performance theory and how to get the most out of all your routines.

There are 4 effects and a large section on cold reading. However none of them are that advanced interms of method, Paul shows you that you can use simple things key cards, ultra mental decks to create real moments for the spectator.

With that being said if you are looking for effects leave this book alone it is not worth your time in that regard. This book asks you to make a promise that I don't think you are ready to make.

Ultimately it will be waste of time and money if you were to pick this up right now. Get your foundations right then if you really want to take mentalism seriously then pick this book up.

Thanks, I'll look into that in the future once I fell I've progressed a bit in Mentalism. I have a question about cold reading though. I understand the basic idea, but it seems like half of the way you sell cold reading is by performance because it seems like it could be pretty hard to pull off. Is that right?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
There is a classic line in Corinda that summaries cold reading to the T. It says that someone with no knowledge of the texts that contain cold reading techniques can make a very talented reader. Whilst someone who has read all the books in the world can still make a terrible one. Cold reading is all about presentation and only maybe 25% of the method. Obviously you start with some general things and build on them however if the audience does not believe you are doing it they will not believe what you are saying. The easiest way I have found to getting the audience to believe what you are doing is to believe it yourself.

May 3, 2008
There is a classic line in Corinda that summaries cold reading to the T. It says that someone with no knowledge of the texts that contain cold reading techniques can make a very talented reader. Whilst someone who has read all the books in the world can still make a terrible one. Cold reading is all about presentation and only maybe 25% of the method. Obviously you start with some general things and build on them however if the audience does not believe you are doing it they will not believe what you are saying. The easiest way I have found to getting the audience to believe what you are doing is to believe it yourself.

Thanks. I find it funny how professional mentalists use the same method to read minds that one of my first card tricks was based off of and yet it still fools me and they convince people that they're reading their mind.

Paul's Alchemical Tools is a WICKED book - Lots of stuff in there which will take you up to the next level in your performances, lots of interesting notes on the psychology of performance illustrated perfectly by Brook's own experiences.

While it's not a text for beginners, I'd advise everyone that can to take a look at Paul's stuff - Very well thought out and exciting to read. He includes a lot of stuff that seems obvious, when you read it you just go: "ahhhhhhhh, YEAH!!!"

Great stuff!

DC
Dee, I just finished reading this and If I was to pick one book to die with, this would take the prize!

Too much hidden (in plain sight) in this book. Good mention there!

All the best,
-Chase

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Just to throw another POV into the conversation, while 13 steps is a very comprehensive book for the beginner in mentalism, it's not to say that the information within couldn't be found from other sources - I didn't add 13 steps to my library till about 2 years ago, yet I'd been studying more advanced works of mentalism demanding this basic knowledge for several years previous to this.

The information can be found elsewhere, but not without a lot of study and reading a lot more books - 13 steps is a great comprehensive starting point, but it's not to say it's the only way.

Uri Geller mentioned to me that he'd only bought 13 steps about 6 months ago - He's never read the book and he did alright for himself :p

As mentalist's it's our job to think outside the box, there's no single path to follow, it's just that with a book like 13 steps, everything is handed to you in one place, which is why it's so highly regarded and why my chums D ICE R and Prae above are recommending so strongly!

Great to hear that you made the investment penguincdude, I'm sure you've a fun path ahead of you!!

Best,

DC

I did expect someone to mention an example like yourself, or Uri, both established mentalists in your own respective rights.

I just wanted to add something. First: I agree with what you're saying. BUT, it's a very different thing to recommend any other path as a form of generic advice. Uri Geller is not simply any common performer; he is exceptional.

One exceptional (or, in this case, two), does not, in my view, destroy the logic behind conventional wisdom, experience and advice for the masses.

For the one in a million mentalist, there are many ways.

For the masses asking for advice on anonymous forums, there is the failsafe way.

(Oh, and, incidentally, in hindsight I realise this could be taken the wrong way, this is not in any way a derision on Dee's advice whatsoever.)

And I'm not even going to comment on AT, except to say this: All the knowledge in the world is useless if it sits without your application.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Oh, I totally agree man, what works for some people won't work for others, as mentioned, I think books like 13 steps great, it's like a cognitive overview of mentalism, which is great.

All I was saying is that it's not the only way, mainly to add another perspective to the convo :)

Thanks for the kind words btw! :)

DC

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results