Draven Reflects upon the Wire.

Dec 12, 2010
You bring up some good points that I hadn't quite considered. Obviously, I'm not qualified to answer any of them, but I think it's good that these questions arose. I think the Wire is huge, and potentially game changing like they said, but there are some details that seem to have been missed. Hopefully JB can answer some of these concerns, because it might ultimately change how this is being used.

Also, I have to agree, 40% is a lot. Granted, it will get MUCH more publicity then if you sold it yourself, but still, it is a bit steep.

Another question I have was about ownership. So obviously original content is required, but say I have a friend who made this awesome trick. Say he wants to sell it but doesn't have the equipment and wants me to produce it. If I film, shoot, and edit the video, and he isn't even in it, but it's used with permission from the creator, can it be submitted?

You should make a deal with him since you film and edited it for him. Something like 50/50.

Jun 1, 2009
As for videos with advice on misdirection, performance, patter creating, and so on; what makes that person qualified to teach that? Unless they have a resume, such as Draven or Prace, how do we know that what they say has been proven through real world experiences? Will T11 filter through those to determine who has the background and knowledge to teach something? Otherwise we have a flood of people trying to sell their own philosophies on the same thing.

Jacob

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
As for videos with advice on misdirection, performance, patter creating, and so on; what makes that person qualified to teach that? Unless they have a resume, such as Draven or Prace, how do we know that what they say has been proven through real world experiences? Will T11 filter through those to determine who has the background and knowledge to teach something? Otherwise we have a flood of people trying to sell their own philosophies on the same thing.

Jacob

Good point!
Maybe a resume with proof via video clips/pictures will have to suffice for this type of learning.

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
Just wondering, when is this going to be available for submitting? It's 11:30 now in Eastern time, and I thought it was going to be open at 11:00? Or by the end of today?

Jun 1, 2009
Good point!
Maybe a resume with proof via video clips/pictures will have to suffice for this type of learning.

Possibly, but that may be hard to come by. I'm in a restaurant twice a week every week performing, plus I've done fairs (doing one tomorrow actually) and other events. However, I don't have video clips available of those because filming during that is near impossible. Yes I'm not the most qualified on teaching misdirection, but what if someone is in the same boat? Yeah I can say all day I perform for real people ALL the time, but T 11 can't just go off someone's words, and that puts me and others in the same situation in an awkward spot. Because what if I do stumble across something I find no one has really expounded upon? Maybe the team of analysts they have will know if the content is worth publishing or not for the open.

Jacob

Jan 31, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Perhaps the philosophical views on particular techniques such as misdirection should be accompanied by a performance using said techniques, then the theory11 team can determine weather or not said individual believes in what he preaches and weather or not it has value, or at least isn't purely useless.

At the very least viewer reviews will always protect you, except for the person who bit the bullet first.

The theory11 team member who approves the submission could also provide a review, then no one has to bite the bullet first.

I really think everyone is really being too critical of the entire thing. From everything that I've read, and the massive amount of private communications I've had with the Theory11 team behind the scenes, this entire Wire project really is going to do more good than it will do harm. I know everyone is worried about a sudden rush of bad videos that will flood the market, but bear in mind community that there are two important factors in play here.
1) Theory11 hasn't lowered its standards any with regards to the wire. All submissions need to be approved first, before anything happens.
and 2) If a bad product does hit the market on the Wire, god forbid as well all know bad products don't surface anywhere else like Alpha Cards, then they won't get sales, people will bad rep them, and they'll fall off the charts much like criss angel threads do in open forum.

We've really been given a gift here people. A chance to let our voices be heard! While I don't agree with the idea of anyone can publish magic, because lets face it we're not all cut out for that. It does give us the chance to let those diamonds in the rough shine.

This isn't a bad thing. This is a new thing. Lets embrace it.

CAndrew

Elite Member
Jan 12, 2011
Im wondering, will T11 be in control of the 5 showcased items on the front page of the Wire? Or is it just the 5 newest submissions. Im worried that quality material might not get enough attention because bad quality items are everywhere you look. Also, Im worried the forum might get filled with threads about someones new effect or flourish, which will be especially bad if said effect/flourish is of poor quality. I have nothing wrong with posting on forums advertising, but maybe we could make a separate section for this? Guess we'll just see what happens.

Im wondering, will T11 be in control of the 5 showcased items on the front page of the Wire? Or is it just the 5 newest submissions. Im worried that quality material might not get enough attention because bad quality items are everywhere you look. Also, Im worried the forum might get filled with threads about someones new effect or flourish, which will be especially bad if said effect/flourish is of poor quality. I have nothing wrong with posting on forums advertising, but maybe we could make a separate section for this? Guess we'll just see what happens.

I'm pretty sure those first five that you see by the T11 artists are just seeds to get the thing going, and provide examples of what T11 expects from submissions. I'm sure they'll change once more, and more material is uploaded.

You're right. I do see a lot of threads spamming the forums about so & so's new upload, go buy it now! Dear god it may be worse than all the sub me threads to kids youtube accounts. X.x

To which I think I kind of hinted at this in my original post, but I'll go ahead and address the elephant currently standing in the room by saying that I think with the increased activity on the Wire Theory11 may want to strongly considering adding more moderators to their team to handle the influx of activity both on the wire, and on the forums with regards to the wire.

Their current team, as kick ass as they are, may become overwhelmed with all this wire stuff, on top of their usual moderator duties. This is of course assuming that the mods all play a part in the wire as well. T11 hasn't really said who was in charge of reviewing the submitted material yet, so I could be way off on these assumptions.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I really think everyone is really being too critical of the entire thing. From everything that I've read, and the massive amount of private communications I've had with the Theory11 team behind the scenes, this entire Wire project really is going to do more good than it will do harm. I know everyone is worried about a sudden rush of bad videos that will flood the market, but bear in mind community that there are two important factors in play here.
1) Theory11 hasn't lowered its standards any with regards to the wire. All submissions need to be approved first, before anything happens.
and 2) If a bad product does hit the market on the Wire, god forbid as well all know bad products don't surface anywhere else like Alpha Cards, then they won't get sales, people will bad rep them, and they'll fall off the charts much like criss angel threads do in open forum.

We've really been given a gift here people. A chance to let our voices be heard! While I don't agree with the idea of anyone can publish magic, because lets face it we're not all cut out for that. It does give us the chance to let those diamonds in the rough shine.

This isn't a bad thing. This is a new thing. Lets embrace it.

Exactly. My god, in 90% of posts in this thread, there hasn't been 2 seconds of thinking before posting. Everyone is afraid that the wire is going to be like youtube where everyone can post anything they like. It will ALL go through filtering. Performances, explanations, camera work, sound, light, good, bad, everything. They will not let the video or pdf to be posted on the wire just like that, it will have to have some standards to it.
Also, people on this thread are talking about increase in creativity like it's a bad thing. Seriously?! First of all, people are concerned about bad and unfinished material being put on the wire. Well, let me ask you how many bad and unfinished material is there on other web sights? TONS. For every 100 new magic effects, books, products, gimmicks, there are maybe 5 usable in the real world. I'm performing for more than 2000 different people EVERY WEEK (while we are talking about credentials), and I have a good idea for what is a working material, and what is not, and A LOT of material out there is not.
Also, how many magicians that have their products out there are bad teachers? TONS. Just because you guys are used to teachings that are in T11 and E videos, doesn't mean that all the magic videos are like that. And yet, they are published. Don't worry, I'm pretty sure T11 will not let any videos that are thought badly, hit the wire.
Secondly, even if the bad effect with poor teachings somehow ends up on the wire, do you have to buy it? Of course not. Once again, how many bad published magic videos are out there? TONS. Did you buy them all? Do you have to? There you go. First there is T11 filtering which I'm sure it's pretty strict, than there are reviews and descriptions and performance videos, and if after all that you end up buying that effect and you don't like it... well... join the club because that's what we all did at least 10 times so far.
So for everyone that says that creativity sparked by the wire is bad thing, please stop posting or at least think before you do.

Jan 2, 2011
ok now i have some questions
1.Does our video have to be edited?(that includes performance and explanation)
2.Can we first submit the raw footage of the trick along with explanation and then properly edit the video and then put it for sale?
3.How to we submit our videos?(meaning from youtube or where?)

Aug 6, 2011
ok now i have some questions
1.Does our video have to be edited?(that includes performance and explanation)
2.Can we first submit the raw footage of the trick along with explanation and then properly edit the video and then put it for sale?
3.How to we submit our videos?(meaning from youtube or where?)

1. The video should be edited to make it look better and to cut out unnecessary footage
2. I think you need to submit the edited version but I don't know
3. You probably upload the file e.g. Trick.mov or Flourish.m4v etc

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results