Duplicate signature from an audience member

Nov 12, 2016
Hello Everyone!
I was wondering if anyone knew a way to have a duplicate audience member signature, regardless of your audience member, in the same place on a duplicate card. I assume this would require a gimmick and that is OK, just somewhere to get me started. I want this effect to work similar to a check book, if you know what I mean.
Example: Spectator picks the 5 Diamonds, signs that card and perhaps there is a way to make the ink bleed to a double lifted card below so i would have the exact same signature on the 5 Diamonds below.
Sorry if this is confusing but I would really appreciate any help anyone could give!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah that's probably not going to work. Playing cards are made of, really, 5 layers. Plastic-based finish, paper, glue, paper, plastic-based finish. Anything that could 'bleed' through all of that would be an obvious mess.

Likewise you wouldn't be able to do a carbon paper copy because that would require they press hard enough on a pen to cleanly indent through all that stuff. Not going to happen (at least, not reliably)

I know there's been a decent amount of work on this concept, and I'm sure David (RealityOne) can provide a variety of resources regarding it - but I can only think of one right now, and that's Joshua Jay. He had a routine where a signed card ended up in ... I want to say a pill bottle (like you get with prescriptions, transparent orange with a white lid that's a pain to open).

Anyway - ask yourself this: Does it have to be an exact duplicate of their signature?

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
Joe Monti and Criss Angel performed a trick on his DVD Card Fusion with a "duplicate" signature on a torn up card...without giving too much away.. I'm sure you can figure it out from there lol
Also to you card guru's Joe claimed on the DVD he created the effect.. it's a torn and restored trick...
I'm not sure he did, yet haven't seen anything similar.

Reactions: Jedimasterjt
I've been working on this exact concept for a while for a presentation I'm working on.

The conclusion I came to is the best method is anything that uses Marc Salem's B.O.A.D. principle. With that in mind I've been in talks with a custom card making company about them making a highly customized deck for my exact presentation. As Chrisopher has stated, playing cards have many layers so it's hard for them to bleed through. That's why I'm building my own deck that is built around using the B.O.A.D. principle such that I can have a perfect clone of a signed card among other little knick knacks that I want to use for my presentation.

Hope this helps in giving you a start!

Nov 12, 2016
Yeah that's probably not going to work. Playing cards are made of, really, 5 layers. Plastic-based finish, paper, glue, paper, plastic-based finish. Anything that could 'bleed' through all of that would be an obvious mess.

Likewise you wouldn't be able to do a carbon paper copy because that would require they press hard enough on a pen to cleanly indent through all that stuff. Not going to happen (at least, not reliably)

I know there's been a decent amount of work on this concept, and I'm sure David (RealityOne) can provide a variety of resources regarding it - but I can only think of one right now, and that's Joshua Jay. He had a routine where a signed card ended up in ... I want to say a pill bottle (like you get with prescriptions, transparent orange with a white lid that's a pain to open).

Anyway - ask yourself this: Does it have to be an exact duplicate of their signature?
Thank you I will look into this! That was the reason for a gimmick card though so maybe there would be two cards and a special pen, just a theory!

Nov 12, 2016
I've been working on this exact concept for a while for a presentation I'm working on.

The conclusion I came to is the best method is anything that uses Marc Salem's B.O.A.D. principle. With that in mind I've been in talks with a custom card making company about them making a highly customized deck for my exact presentation. As Chrisopher has stated, playing cards have many layers so it's hard for them to bleed through. That's why I'm building my own deck that is built around using the B.O.A.D. principle such that I can have a perfect clone of a signed card among other little knick knacks that I want to use for my presentation.

Hope this helps in giving you a start!
Thank you so much man! I will for sure look into this!

Josh Mickelson

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2016
Utah
Although the Now You See Me movies aren't necessarily the most accurate when it comes to magic, there are actually some interesting duplicate signed card ideas there... most are unrealistic but still interesting... just something to consider.

Nov 12, 2016
Although the Now You See Me movies aren't necessarily the most accurate when it comes to magic, there are actually some interesting duplicate signed card ideas there... most are unrealistic but still interesting... just something to consider.
Haha I guess for inspiration, not really a how to. Lol I may look into it though

Jun 18, 2017
There's a Justin miller trick on magic stream that achieves this effect convincingly but as said, actually duplicating it is nigh on impossible.

His effect is that you visibly tear a card and even show them the pieces before instantly restoring it.

Reactions: Josh Mickelson
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Hey guys, I know this is a bit old, but I was doing some research on a couple books that I think I should buy, and I saw that Card College Volume 5 teaches you how to obtain a duplicate signature. I'm not sure how well it works, but if you have the book, you can see if you like it.

Also, Marlo teaches one in a "Marlo Magazine #6"? Again, I don't have it but if you do, feel free to check it out.

Jul 28, 2015
There's a DVD for an effect that touches on the subject... can't quite remember the name right now but I do remember the method is very bold...

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Hey guys, I know this is a bit old, but I was doing some research on a couple books that I think I should buy, and I saw that Card College Volume 5 teaches you how to obtain a duplicate signature. I'm not sure how well it works, but if you have the book, you can see if you like it.

Also, Marlo teaches one in a "Marlo Magazine #6"? Again, I don't have it but if you do, feel free to check it out.

The version in Card College presents a subterfuge to get a spectator to initial two cards while thinking that they ony signed one card twice. Giobbi credits Richard Sanders with parallel creation.

I suspect Marlo had at least 6 methods...

There's a DVD for an effect that touches on the subject... can't quite remember the name right now but I do remember the method is very bold...

A similar method is on Sankey's Revolutionary Card Magic DVD.

I was wondering if anyone knew a way to have a duplicate audience member signature, regardless of your audience member, in the same place on a duplicate card.

I suspect you could use a method where you conceal carbon paper inside a tuck case and have the card signed while on the outside of the tuck case.... assuming you have a spectator that presses really hard. You also could forge the spectator's signature when your back is turned. The other alternative is that you write the spectator's initials on the selected card... that allows for multiple methods. Finally, I've seen effects where there is just a scribble on a card that is kept in motion as a fake of the signed card. I've never been convinced that would actually work for me.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Oz Pearlman also had an idea for signed card to different location plot on one of his penguin lectures. I don't know if i would try it unless the circumstances were right, but I can see it working.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results