Eager to learn

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Craig - Haha, that was NOT my list. That was a list Jon Raiker put up as recommended reading for Magic*Con. I just copied and pasted, because it was under "Performance and Creativity".

Personally, I don't like NLP either :p ALTHOUGH, it does say it has Rapport building tips, and that's always a plus ;)

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I forget, I think it was Richard Busch that said something to the extent that most people claim to know NLP because they can find those letters on their keyboards.

Far too many people are making this pseudo-science their main-stay simply becuase it has been "suggested" that it's a kind of magic bullet, especially if you do mentalism and too, it can aid in stage management when it comes to audience helpers, etc. But it takes YEARS to really learn how to work with it and use it effectively and even at that it's not even 90% on mark most of the time... and that's a perspective that comes from actual NLP teachers/experts. Even Kenton Knepper, who was once a major advocate of NLP, has tamed his views over the years, recognizing the limitations to the system not to mention its redundancy; how much of it has been borrowed from already existing "science" such as linquistic/semantic principles of psychology, established body language techniques, and of course hypnosis methods. NLP merely combines this collection of things under one ubrella more than anything else, very little of it is "original" let alone anything "ground breaking".

Does this mean that it's worthless to us?

Absolutely not! It has genuine value, just not as much as many assign to it as the result of current trends, buzz terms, and out and out LIES when it comes to performance claims... that is to say, we have bought into the deception vs. the truth behind this or that person's presentation of whatever.

People (showmen) that use NLP and even Psychological Forces deliberately rehearse "Outs"... the alternate direction to take things when the desired response does not happen. Banachek mentions this is PS I and others such as Maven, Knepper and I believe Mr. Riggs have all warned us when it comes to leaning too heavily on these methods when they are NOT sure fire. When they work it's pure dynamite but when it doesn't work and we aren't prepared, the explosion burns us rather than bolstering our career & reputation.

"sigh" but none of this has anything to do with the theme of the thread, does it?

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I have recently wanted several books on presentation and theory, but being a teenager with no job, i am broke.

Any ideas?

http://vaude.tv/category/time-to-be-awesome
David Corsaro talks with some big names in magic, a lot of which is about performance and theory. This will help you get started thinking about these sorts of things.

As far as getting money for books, maybe try to sell some things you don't use in your life. You can usually find places to buy old sports equipment or other random items you own, but don't use.

Try mowing lawns for a while, my friend did this through high school and ended up buying a car after 3 years of saving. A lot of people would rather pay you to do it than someone else, and many people (elderly especially) aren't able to do it themselves. Convince your parents to help pay for gas and oil for the lawnmower and do it to it.

Busking would be a great way to both make a little money and teach yourself presentation/performance theory. You'll quickly find what doesn't hold peoples attention and what does. You have to get over the fear of rejection, put yourself out there to do what you've practiced, and interact with people that you've never met and may never see again. Take a few friends and have them walk by and then stop to watch, to help draw your initial crowds, and then give them dollars to tip you with so other people will see money going into the hat (bucket, basket...whatever you take with you) and also feel obliged to tip. (group think mentality). After a few times you won't even need your friends to help you draw crowds.

A little advice when applying for jobs at your age. Go into a grocery store (or wherever) and ask to speak to a manager. Go dressed in jeans but a nice shirt (polo untucked or button down tucked in...no tie, no fancy shoes) this will be more effective than if you wear a suit and tie (trust me). Talk to them about getting a job, but not just any job, have a specific department in mind (or two). Tell them you want to work up front with cashiers/bagging or customer service or you want to work in the produce department because (who knows why you'd want to...I did, it wasn't bad).

Same goes for any other job (office supply store, best buy, walmart...etc) don't get super fancy unless everyone who works there is also dressed that way. If you dress better than the manager then you're not going to be looked at for a job mopping floors...it's just the way things are.

Anyone questioning this advice should know I've had numerous jobs and landed them this way, and the advice came from my dad who's been managing grocery stores for...almost 30 years now. If you have a friend who works somewhere, ask them to ask the manager if they need help because they have a friend who could use a job. If your friend is hardworking the manager will take his reference seriously and you're application will be top priority.

That's about all for now, I've work to do.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results