Enough With the Jumbo Coin Endings!

Mar 4, 2008
I never liked the idea of always ending a one coin routine with a jumbo coin. It just isn't very "logical", and is sort of never ending. So here is my take on an ending for one coin routines. This can be used a logical ending, or a sucker type effect; all depends on how you present it.

Let me know what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q329kJhLOH0

EDIT - What I mean by logical is: Obviously in magic there aren't many effects that have logical reasons for everything. But there should be consistency and make sense in the spectators mind as to WHY it happened, not that it just happened. What I don't like is when people just end a coin routine with making the coin bigger just so they can say that the effect is over. Give a reason for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 20, 2008
For the sake of argument- Why did you turn it into an english penny? where's the logic in that?

it would make more sence if you added "illusion" to the line "your probably wondering how this whole thing is done.. i'll show ya... its called sleight of hand, misdirection and illusion.."

"sleight of hand is when i pretend to take the coin" *do the action* .... raise your hand and say "misdirection is when i make you look at this hand when there is nothing there" show your hand empty .. but the illusion is that i never had a silver coin, but a copper coin instead" and as you reveal the english penny.

just my 2 cents.

-Abe

Mar 4, 2008
it would make more sence if you added "illusion" to the line "your probably wondering how this whole thing is done.. i'll show ya... its called sleight of hand, misdirection and illusion.."

"sleight of hand is when i pretend to take the coin" *do the action* .... raise your hand and say "misdirection is when i make you look at this hand when there is nothing there" show your hand empty .. but the illusion is that i never had a silver coin, but a copper coin instead" and as you reveal the english penny.

just my 2 cents.

-Abe

Awesome idea! Thanks!

Jul 8, 2008
I think the routine is way to boring.

But nice muscle pass.......

I might as well save you from being bashed. What is boring about it? It's a common "Theory11" remark. People who can't appreciate sucha nice routine like this. I find the Theory11 tricks way too boring. Who the hell would even have a card in a ziploc bag, why would I change a card into another liek DIstortion? Wheres the mystery in that? Theres NO mystery at all. Why would I even tear the corner off of a card just to change it. Why can't I do it without the change, huh? Explain yourself next time.

maybe its that you are presenting the jumbo coin wrong.
nothing in magic makes sense, if it did then it wouldnt be magical.
maybe you need to find your own story/patter for it. why does it get big, how does it. just work with that a bit and im sure you'll find a good reason to have a jumbo coin.

but i agree, it turns to a penny, that doesnt make much sense at all either. but as i said just work on your story/patter.

but i enjoyed it

Mar 4, 2008
For the sake of argument- Why did you turn it into an english penny? where's the logic in that?

I usually present it as follows:

"That is slight of hand, the misdirection part is when I switched the silver coin for the copper one."

Dunno, why I didn't sat that in the video.

And I'll probably be switching to using Abe's idea, I really like his approach:

"sleight of hand is when i pretend to take the coin" *do the action* .... raise your hand and say "misdirection is when i make you look at this hand when there is nothing there" show your hand empty .. but the illusion is that i never had a silver coin, but a copper coin instead" and as you reveal the english penny."

This is getting absurd. Magic is magic, we do it to entertain people. Stop putting so much emphasis on it "making sense", because magic is inherently nonsensical. You may need reason for the misdirection within the trick, but the overarching plot of magic does not need a point or purpose.

"oh transposition, two cards switch places. But watch, if I pick up one in each hand, I can do the same thing only slower, just by moving the cards manually! oh wow!"

There's no reason to be showing people tricks except for entertainment. Jumbo coins are entertaining, unexpected, and impossible, and that's why people use them.

Mar 4, 2008
There's no reason to be showing people tricks except for entertainment. Jumbo coins are entertaining, unexpected, and impossible, and that's why people use them.

I don't really have anything against jumbo coin endings, but PERSONALLY - I never liked them. That is why i developed my own ending for a one coin routine. That's all.

Jul 8, 2008
You don't end with a Jumbo coin because then if you don't vanish the coin, you are left standing there as the guy with the big coin that more people than you know will recognize from dollar stores and gag shops. And what about putting it in your pocket? NO! If this coin changed in size and you put it back in your pocket (notice I say BACK), then it will say where it just came from. and will take away from the experience. Give your sagging pockets a rest and accept the fact that very few people can actually make a jumbo coin look like magic. At the end of my one coin routines is by making it vanish or bending it

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
You don't end with a Jumbo coin because then if you don't vanish the coin, you are left standing there as the guy with the big coin that more people than you know will recognize from dollar stores and gag shops. And what about putting it in your pocket? NO! If this coin changed in size and you put it back in your pocket (notice I say BACK), then it will say where it just came from. and will take away from the experience. Give your sagging pockets a rest and accept the fact that very few people can actually make a jumbo coin look like magic. At the end of my one coin routines is by making it vanish or bending it

Garret Thomas has an incredibly magical looking routine called "Big Coin, Little Purse" I think and instead of the coin simply being dropped into his pocket, he puts in a small coin purse, and as he does so, the coin instantly shrinks down to size, then when he pulls it out it grows back in size. Now THAT is how a jumbo coin routine should be done. He does rely on a few extra props tho and a few different hard sleights.

Mar 4, 2008
Garret Thomas has an incredibly magical looking routine called "Big Coin, Little Purse" I think and instead of the coin simply being dropped into his pocket, he puts in a small coin purse, and as he does so, the coin instantly shrinks down to size, then when he pulls it out it grows back in size. Now THAT is how a jumbo coin routine should be done. He does rely on a few extra props tho and a few different hard sleights.

I completely agree. That is how I think a jumbo coin should be used. Where it is logical to be used. Not just "And if you watch the coin, boom - it's big." I feel that there should be a "logical" reason it got big, not just a BOOM.

For example, I use a jumbo coin as an ending to coins to cup. I present it that the last coin can't make it because it's defective and can't fit in the cup. It's logical for the jumbo to be there, because as I say it's too big - the coin is revealed to be a jumbo that won't fit in.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I completely agree. That is how I think a jumbo coin should be used. Where it is logical to be used. Not just "And if you watch the coin, boom - it's big." I feel that there should be a "logical" reason it got big, not just a BOOM.

For example, I use a jumbo coin as an ending to coins to cup. I present it that the last coin can't make it because it's defective and can't fit in the cup. It's logical for the jumbo to be there, because as I say it's too big - the coin is revealed to be a jumbo that won't fit in.

Well it doesn't have to make logical sense. The one I mentioned doesn't have a reason or anything WHY it shrank back down to size. But to the spectators, they saw him do take a half dollar, change to a jumbo coin and then saw him fit it into the small coin purse (it shrank down to size), then he pulled it out again and it was back to jumbo size. He does do the standard jumbo coin wave move, but everything after that is like "what the hell!?".

Mar 4, 2008
Well it doesn't have to make logical sense. The one I mentioned doesn't have a reason or anything WHY it shrank back down to size. But to the spectators, they saw him do take a half dollar, change to a jumbo coin and then saw him fit it into the small coin purse (it shrank down to size), then he pulled it out again and it was back to jumbo size. He does do the standard jumbo coin wave move, but everything after that is like "what the hell!?".

Which is why I put "logical" in quotations. Obviously in magic there aren't many effects that have logical reasons for everything. But there should be consistency and make sense in the spectators mind as to WHY it happened, not that it just happened. In the Garrett Thomas effect the spectators understand that the reason the coin got smaller was so it can fit back in. What I don't like is when people just end a coin routine with making the coin bigger just so they can say that the effect is over.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Hopefully someone reads this (people have a habit of not paying attention to my thoughts)

I look at it like this: the only reason the jumbo coin ending is wrong is because it's an ending. It's not logical to end the routine with a jumbo coin production. However, my one coin routine consists of more manipulations with a jumbo coin.

"Now some people will complain by saying that they couldn't follow everything, cuz the coin was too small. How bout i do it again with a bigger coin?"

Then go into a flurry of vanishes with the jumbo coin. Then there's motivation for the jumbo coin and it makes the routine more amazing.

And for those of you who say magic defies logic, you're wrong. Magic defies science, not logic. If it defied logic, there would be no point. People wont follow it and people can't enjoy it.

As for the video, i think it was great. Just be sure to watch out for your windows during finger palms. :)

Sep 20, 2008
And for those of you who say magic defies logic, you're wrong. Magic defies science, not logic. If it defied logic, there would be no point. People wont follow it and people can't enjoy it.

You sure about that sentence? Haha!

This is getting absurd. Magic is magic, we do it to entertain people. Stop putting so much emphasis on it "making sense", because magic is inherently nonsensical. You may need reason for the misdirection within the trick, but the overarching plot of magic does not need a point or purpose.

I dont understand your argument. So if i was sitting in a restaurant, a man in a waistcoat, Slacks with noticeable Bicycle cards in his hands Tells me that he pulls a coin out of my ear, i would find that greatly amusing, though there is no logic for it.

That's where 'Patter' comes along, yes? Try doing a patter-heavy effect without the patter. see if that messess your world up a bit.

Jun 14, 2008
I don't know if anyone has seen akira's coin routine, but it's final phase is done with one coin, AND it uses a jumbo coin ending.

The way he presents it is, in my humble opinion, phenomenal.

He "grows' the regular coin into the jumbo one(proceeding to do a few vanishes etc. with it including changes back into the regular coin), and finishes up with the jumbo coin turning into a giant coin(bigger than a jumbo coin, and impossible to hide in one hand).

Another interesting point about this routine, is that the ending annulls all the audiences preconceived possible solutions, as they themselves can see that it is impossible to conceal a giant coin in one hand; thereby cementing the idea in their minds that what they have just witnessed is pure magic.

Hopefully I can find a link to this routine; if so, I will edit this post to add it.

EDIT: Here we go, just choose your preference from the site: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1492

Just my thoughts.:)

Regards,
Steven.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results