Erdnase?

*DISCLAIMER* Please dont turn this into an argument, Im just trying to start a discussion and get a few opinions.

Ill start off with a little about what i try to do with my magic. I try to perform as much as possible, and entertain people with my magic. I am in no way a move monkey who knows 20 different top controls. I have a 1 or 2 for both top and bottom and thats about it. I perform a good number of card tricks (around 30 different ones) and only learn ones that i find interesting and have potential to be hard hitting. i am in NO WAY a magicians magician.

So, now onto the main topic of discussion... erdnase. Is it essential to a card magician? Many people tell me that "I MUST study this book if i want to be anything at all in the world of card magic". But i feel that this view point is somewhat skewed. What does an entertainer need with an open shift? or an Echure stack? People that tell me I must study this book are those same guys who go to tons of conventions and hang with lots of famous magicians. I feel that their reasoning for studying this book is so that they can show eachoterh stuff when they meet up. I frankly find something like this to be pointless. If you intend to perform for lay people, who complicate things by doing a longitudinal shift instead of just shuffling the card to the top?

So, is Erdnase essential to a card magician?

Jul 14, 2008
Personally, I have this book and this book has very useful sleights for me once I mastered and bring this to the streets. Many people have different tastes whether to learn or not from Erdnase.

Sep 1, 2007
USA
It contains many useful sleights in it. I personally think you should study it because of how in depth the teaching is on the sleights. It gives you a chance to study on why each step of the sleight was made and why it is or isn't a good sleight for specific circumstances. Like you would probably never perform a Diagonal Palm shift completely surrounded, but it makes for one hell of a card to pocket trick in a one on one circumstance.

Also, at the end of the book are tricks that Erdnase thought out. Although the english is old fashioned and probably difficult to understand in the tricks section, the tricks are easy to perform and are killer.

My point I tried to get across is (and probably failed haha) is that you will probably not use all the sleights in the book, but it will give you ideas for future effects, and practicing the moves in the book make it easier to learn new, more difficult sleight.

Hope this helps

ZG

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey Dan. Casey here.

Just thought I'd drop by and spend my 2 cents. I don't think it is ESSENTIAL for EVERY card magician, but hey, we ALL have different tastes on what tickles our fancy. Some people want to do harder stuff, such as shifts and table work. They want to tackle the knuckle-busting stuff, because in their mind they think by doing harder sleights it makes them better than a person doing all self-working card tricks.

In reality, it doesn't matter whether or not it's essential for Everybody, but if it suits them, then they go for it. Mr.Ection posted a thread similar to what I am saying above. You can view his post to learn more about it (sorry I have no link becaue I'm lazy).

Anyways, Expert at the Card Table is not ESSENTIAL for everyone, but they atleast need to read through it to discover new ideas they have never come across before. No one needs it, it's all based on attraction and the contents within.

I think my 2 cents were well spent, let's make that 3 cents actually, it deserves more than 2. haha.

If you have any questions on what I said Dan please PM me on YouTube. You know my username.

Dec 18, 2009
I've read it and have found it quite difficult to learn from. Then again I'm not a very seasoned magician. I don't use any of the tricks in the book but I do use many of the gambling sleights/techniques. Anyways Dan, From what I've seen in your crdshk tribute I think you'll find the sleights useful if you're into cheating. (thats not meant to be an insult if you thought it was) Overall I think its worth looking into since it can be found for free as an ebook...

Jul 18, 2009
The book is quite good and has a lot of useful information, however I don't think it is "required" reading.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
*DISCLAIMER* Please dont turn this into an argument, Im just trying to start a discussion and get a few opinions.

Ill start off with a little about what i try to do with my magic. I try to perform as much as possible, and entertain people with my magic. I am in no way a move monkey who knows 20 different top controls. I have a 1 or 2 for both top and bottom and thats about it. I perform a good number of card tricks (around 30 different ones) and only learn ones that i find interesting and have potential to be hard hitting. i am in NO WAY a magicians magician.

So, now onto the main topic of discussion... erdnase. Is it essential to a card magician? Many people tell me that "I MUST study this book if i want to be anything at all in the world of card magic". But i feel that this view point is somewhat skewed. What does an entertainer need with an open shift? or an Echure stack? People that tell me I must study this book are those same guys who go to tons of conventions and hang with lots of famous magicians. I feel that their reasoning for studying this book is so that they can show eachoterh stuff when they meet up. I frankly find something like this to be pointless. If you intend to perform for lay people, who complicate things by doing a longitudinal shift instead of just shuffling the card to the top?

So, is Erdnase essential to a card magician?

Take the info in there with a grain of salt.
I learned everything in there years ago and only use about 3 or 4 sleights of it.
You dont need it to be a magician.
But you need it to be a card junkie magician.

I understand what you guys are saying and i do agree. I do things like the DPS and the classic pass, but I disagree with the folks who try to do EVERYTHING in the book for the sake of showing off to magicians.

Thanks for all the viewpoints.

Sep 14, 2009
If you want to get your name out there and have a real discussion with someone at a convention, I would suggest reading it.

Most people put off on the book, but I think that it is a necessity.

Sep 14, 2009
Well,, Do you consider a Longitudinal shift a bad move? Or are you just mad that you cannot execute it? It is erdnase.. You seem to read other books.. but his is another book as well. Why complain, I mean hell, it is even offered as public domain.

I already have the book, thats not the problem. and as i said i do things like the dps and overhand shuffle controls and 2nd deals but i really see no point to something like an open shift. The only use ive ever seen for that move is something i talked to howie schwartzman about, which is using it as a stage move

Dec 18, 2009
If you won't use it, then there's no point in learning it for no reason if thats what you're asking. Although that goes against the whole school thing...you don't need to know about the mayans to be an eye doctor...

Sep 1, 2007
If you won't use it, then there's no point in learning it for no reason if thats what you're asking. Although that goes against the whole school thing...you don't need to know about the mayans to be an eye doctor...

How fortunate then that not everyone in the world wants to be an eye doctor! By giving everybody a chance to learn a little bit about everything, each individual is given the opportunity to find something they're interested in so they can pursue it further.

Card magic is a much narrower field of study of course; I cannot forsee having to use a centre deal in any of the magic I'm ever likely to perform so I have not spent time developing the sleight.

Sep 1, 2007
USA
How fortunate then that not everyone in the world wants to be an eye doctor! By giving everybody a chance to learn a little bit about everything, each individual is given the opportunity to find something they're interested in so they can pursue it further.

Card magic is a much narrower field of study of course; I cannot forsee having to use a centre deal in any of the magic I'm ever likely to perform so I have not spent time developing the sleight.

I don't think the center deal is in Erdnase... but the second and bottom deal are... and while you'll probably never use them in performance (although I use the second deal as an alternative to a top change)... if you're hanging out with friends who know you're good with cards or just hanging with magicians, you could just do a demonstration routine type of thing where you deal yourself aces multiple times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbY9VA1riEM watch starting at 1:15

Dec 18, 2009

Sorry forgot you're a teacher :p. But, yeah thats true. Sorry for the inconsideration. :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results