Essays for 2011. What would you like to know?

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
Hiya Gang!

As I get ready to gear up for next year's workload, I'm dedicating myself a specific amount of time to contribute to the Theory 11 forums and, more specifically, to continue writing Essays geared at helping the working (or aspiring working) pro. So my question for you is...

What would you like to know? I've got some great ideas but thought I'd toss this out there in case there's something you've been curious about but haven't been able to discern an answer. Remember, for the most part, lol, there's no stupid questions!

Here's a current list of previous entries:

Current Essays:

Rates FAQ 2.0 (how much to charge) by Jamie D. Grant Essay #1
The single most important thing you can do... Essay #2
How many tricks should you learn? Essay #3
Tips or Wage? ~more thoughts from JDG /Essay #4
How to design a business card~ Essay #5 by JDG
Who I am~ Magic Friday ~ by Jamie D. Grant
Developing Your Sets - Essay #6 from JDG
Do you need a stage show? Essay #7 by JDG
Crushing the Haters! Essay #8 by Jamie D. Grant
How I Introduce Custom Decks #9 by Jamie D. Grant

Who the heck am I? Check out the podcast:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 27, 2010
An easy about how to get the most out of a book and grab one routine and making it your own

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Best way to practice an effect
How do you know if that trick you are practicing is even worth the time and effort?
Ways to get into a trick
The first words you should say to a group
Doing just card tricks.. A yay or nay?
Do we have to make sense?....Can we be a bag o' tricks and pull out a mind reading/metal bending effects if we don't really advertise those powers?
Non professional performing do's and dont's
Professional performing do's and dont's
When do you think the best time to turn this hobby into a profession is?
Your top 15 effects

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I'd like to know how to get over nerves. I was told yesterday to shake your hands out or run your wrists under cold water but the latter would be tough to do mid performance and I wouldn't want to flail my hands around mid performance.

I was showing a recapped deal to some magicians my age yesterday and I was shaking so bad that I couldn't even put the cap on like a normal person...I'm surprised that I managed to 'magically' recap it lol.

Jan 4, 2011
I would like to hear your thought on dramatic VS comedic patter and effects. I tend to steer in the way of comedy and would like to hear thought on drama.

Thanks
Martock

Nov 9, 2010
I'd enjoy just reading stories "from the road" so to speak. About shows, performances, busking. Meeting interesting people etc. Not really essay material but I feel we have too little of this type of pure entertainment that stories are.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results