Essays for 2011. What would you like to know?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jamie D. Grant, Dec 29, 2010.

1. #1 Jamie D. Grant, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010
    Hiya Gang!

As I get ready to gear up for next year's workload, I'm dedicating myself a specific amount of time to contribute to the Theory 11 forums and, more specifically, to continue writing Essays geared at helping the working (or aspiring working) pro. So my question for you is...

What would you like to know? I've got some great ideas but thought I'd toss this out there in case there's something you've been curious about but haven't been able to discern an answer. Remember, for the most part, lol, there's no stupid questions!

Here's a current list of previous entries:

Current Essays:

Rates FAQ 2.0 (how much to charge) by Jamie D. Grant Essay #1
    The single most important thing you can do... Essay #2
    How many tricks should you learn? Essay #3
    Tips or Wage? ~more thoughts from JDG /Essay #4
    How to design a business card~ Essay #5 by JDG
    Who I am~ Magic Friday ~ by Jamie D. Grant
    Developing Your Sets - Essay #6 from JDG
    Do you need a stage show? Essay #7 by JDG
    Crushing the Haters! Essay #8 by Jamie D. Grant
    How I Introduce Custom Decks #9 by Jamie D. Grant

Who the heck am I? Check out the podcast:

[​IMG]

2. I would like to know how to do an "everything is impossible" bottle...if you don`t mind...

I think "promoting yourself" could be a great essay...getting your name out there...but once you have gone thru the basic steps...

3. +1

Also how to go about actually booking gigs and keeping them.

4. An easy about how to get the most out of a book and grab one routine and making it your own

5. Best way to practice an effect
    How do you know if that trick you are practicing is even worth the time and effort?
    Ways to get into a trick
    The first words you should say to a group
    Doing just card tricks.. A yay or nay?
    Do we have to make sense?....Can we be a bag o' tricks and pull out a mind reading/metal bending effects if we don't really advertise those powers?
    Non professional performing do's and dont's
    Professional performing do's and dont's
    When do you think the best time to turn this hobby into a profession is?
    Your top 15 effects

6. Great questions/thoughts!

I'll have something up later next week. I hope everyone had a wonderful holidays!

~jamie
    www.Professional-Magician.com

7. I'd like to know how to get over nerves. I was told yesterday to shake your hands out or run your wrists under cold water but the latter would be tough to do mid performance and I wouldn't want to flail my hands around mid performance.

I was showing a recapped deal to some magicians my age yesterday and I was shaking so bad that I couldn't even put the cap on like a normal person...I'm surprised that I managed to 'magically' recap it lol.

8. your thoughts on scripting would make a great essay,

9. How to entertain would be a great help for me.

10. I would like to hear your thought on dramatic VS comedic patter and effects. I tend to steer in the way of comedy and would like to hear thought on drama.

Thanks
    Martock

11. I'd enjoy just reading stories "from the road" so to speak. About shows, performances, busking. Meeting interesting people etc. Not really essay material but I feel we have too little of this type of pure entertainment that stories are.

12. What are some other things you're curous about? I love to help and am putting together some more writing...

13. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how to make a trick your own, i.e. to make it original.

14. I would like to see one on patter. Making your own patter, the different kinds, which ones works better than others. etc.