Essential Books?

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
What are some books you find essential for magic? I'm looking to expand in all directions, particularly card magic, but I do want some variety. So far I have on my list Modern Coin Magic, Expert Card Technique, Erdnase, and Royal Road. Any others? I've looked at books like Smooth Operations, Art of Astonishment, TOoC, Paper Engine, and others, but I can't spend that much - or too much, for that matter, because I'm always broke - so I need some essential books. I need to leave room for other magic items, for Christmas of course, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Dec 19, 2007
Italy ,Milano
I think that TOoC even if so expensive really open your mind.
I
f you will not like the tricks in the book (it is nearly impossible!!) you will use some sleight in your own trick.

This bok is really complete so find some money and buy it!!

Mattia

Apr 1, 2009
California
Art Of Astonishment is a definite must have if you want to call yourself a magician, in my opinion. You have a little bit of every genre in there. The knowledge you come out of reading that book is incredible.

Paper Engine is great as well. A little more advanced, yes. Buy it for 20-30 dollars. And you'll save a lot of money as well, because if you do the math, Aaron Fisher is selling these moves separately for 30-40 bucks each on dvd. When this book has all of the moves within it. Of course the dvd could be very helpful for moves you just can't seem to get right. I hope he releases one on the Gravity Half Pass. I'd actually buy that one.

TOoC and Smooth Operations I do not own.

But I recommend AOA above all.

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
If you are looking for trick books, I don't really think you are going to find a better selection than what you already have. Most of the tricks in other books are simply variations on moves in the books you have listed.

I would say that if you are looking into just good magic books that are for the mind, not just for tricks; I would suggest David Blaine's book, Mysterious Stranger.

It has a few tricks in it, but more importantly than that, it offers insight into the mind of David Blaine. His performances, attitude, and more. He also does history reflections on great people in magic.

If you don't get pummped about performing magic after reading that, you have lost your mojo. :)

Apr 1, 2009
California
I second that recommendation ^

As well as Derren Brown's Tricks Of The Mind. For books along those lines. I would even goes so far as to say it's much better than Blaine's. And I love Blaine's.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
If you are looking for trick books, I don't really think you are going to find a better selection than what you already have. Most of the tricks in other books are simply variations on moves in the books you have listed.

I would say that if you are looking into just good magic books that are for the mind, not just for tricks; I would suggest David Blaine's book, Mysterious Stranger.

It has a few tricks in it, but more importantly than that, it offers insight into the mind of David Blaine. His performances, attitude, and more. He also does history reflections on great people in magic.

If you don't get pummped about performing magic after reading that, you have lost your mojo. :)

I'm only planning on getting the first five (Erdnase, RRTCM, Expert Card Technique, Bobo's, and Buckley's Card Magic...Professional).

I have read most of Mysterious Stranger, and it is a good book. The bit on Paul Harris is hilarious.

Which books in my possible selections or your own did you mean by "variations on moves in the books you have listed"?

And AsherF: Which AoA volume would you recommend the most?

Ian

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
I have not read all of the books you have listed, but I can say that the majority of books that I have read, usually have similar tricks in them. For example, Paul Harris's Unshuffling rebecca is a variation on idea of "triumph" which has been published in a number of different books.

I was simply saying, be cautious with your book choice. There are a number of them out there that don't have very original ideas, only variations on moves that have been done for a long time. Most of them, if you are clever enough, you can figure out on your own without reading the material.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Most of them, if you are clever enough, you can figure out on your own without reading the material.

In my opinion, that's not our job as magicians. Not to figure it out without purchasing it. There are a lot of books with good ideas that are original - they're just hard to find or few if heavily marketed.

Keep up the suggestions guys!

Ian

Apr 1, 2009
California
I can guarantee the AOA series is not just another set of books with tricks that every other book has. This is original thinking at its best.

I'll have to look through mine to see which I'd recommend you get if you're to only get one right now. I'd like to say just get book 1 right now and eventually get them all in time from there.

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
In my opinion, that's not our job as magicians. Not to figure it out without purchasing it. There are a lot of books with good ideas that are original - they're just hard to find or few if heavily marketed.

Keep up the suggestions guys!

Ian

I can't help it if I find out how something is done without reading it. It just comes to me, as I am sure it comes to many other magicians. Like being able to spot a DL.

Another book I don't own, but one I plan on getting very soon is Designing Miracles. Wayne is doing a Junto session on it. Check it out.

http://waynehouchin.com/junto01.html

May 3, 2008
If you're looking for a book with both tricks and theory, Pete McCabe's Scripting Magic is great. Discusses scripting and presentation and illustrates those points with certain tricks and patters for them. Tricks aren't gone over in total detail and some may be tricks that you are already familiar with, but it will take them to the next level and make you a better performer.
Whether or not it should be considered an essential is up to you, but I have friends who swear by it.

Jul 18, 2009
Do you have Card College? If you are into cards I would get that. Also try to get The Amateur's Magician Handbook by Henry Hay. It is a GREAT book. I know it might be a little hard to find but...

In agreement with what someone said previously, see if you can save up a few more bucks and pick up TOoC.!

Sounds EXACTLY what you are looking for. I was in the same boat as you and took some recommendations towards TOoC. My favorite book with variety. Stuff in there with everything, and revolutionary card effects in there requiring some serious practice.

Hope this helps,
-Chase

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
Hey man, just going from previous conversations, I think you will really enjoy Vernon's inner card trilogy. It is quite pricey, but I imagine you will get so much out of it. Out of your list above, I recommend Royal Road and Modern coin magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results