Expanding myself

Jul 15, 2017
Hey Theory 11 Crew!

So last night I was fortunate enough to perform at a local shop in the area for a small crowd and I decided that for this show, I was not going to use a deck of cards. A quick side note about me, I started learning magic on card tricks and have devoted 90% of my time learning how to perform and craft different routines using cards. I love the ascetics of a deck of cards and the ability to do things with cards that people haven't seen before. Now, back to the show of this night. When I found out I was going to perform at this venue, I made the decision to do this show without cards. This served me in multiple ways, I was able to research the foundation and theory on a much different form of magic, a couple of people who had seen me before that I knew would be there were going to see something brand new from me, and I needed to know I could take these leaps.
The night of the show came and I had decided I was going to do the entire show with "4" quarters and a couple other props that just served as vehicles for the quarters and the one mentalism effect I closed with. The two weeks before the show I had decided to absorb as much about coin magic as I could and found a couple great resources to read and watch, from these I was able to build a nice 20 minute routine that I performed for two different show times. Both shows filled up with what limited seating we allowed *10* each show...it ended it up being like 14 each show but it was a great crowd that played along nicely. My first show went off with out a hitch but the second one had some hiccups. The second show had a wonderful lady who just couldn't follow simple instructions and kept doing the opposite of what I needed her to do. So I had to slow down during some parts I would have rather moved along from but it ended up being okay. Another audience member during the second show dropped my coins...including one I would have preferred stay where it was. I just made a joke and quickly kicked the "Special" coin under my seat and then "dropped" the notebook that was on the table right by the coin and grabbed both and kept on a moving.

Things I learned from doing my cardless show.

1. I LOVE the coin matrix! I watched, had to be 20 different performances and read some material on it and ended up with the routine I did and I have to say, it may not be as flashy as some out there but I did add a kicker ending that both groups really appreciated.

2. This was the first time I got to spend a lot of time listening to Garrett Thomas and the man is really inspirational to listen to. His thoughts on magic and the performance of it is really inspiring.

3. These are some of the resources I studied before my show; Imagination Coins *I do not do this routine but I do something using the method* , T.Nelson Downs Classic Coin tricks. Learning a small part of "The Miser's Dream" and performing it the way I do was the most challenging thing I have done in magic so far. Just the small part I learn I devoted many hours too and I still wish I could do it with more finesse, but I would hope that the homage I give the the King of Koins would be appreciated. The final one was of course J.B. Bobo, if you want to do coin magic with any kind of competence study this man and his work, don't just copy the moves, read why they are done the way they are done and how to translate that to the stage.

I know this was a long one but I wanted to share, thanks for the read and as always if you have and questions, comments or concerns hit me up in the comments.

Peace!

Justin Quill.

Jul 26, 2016
Thanks for sharing that! It sounds like you learned a lot, both from the shows and from the research and preparation that went into it! I believe that magic can be stronger when ordinary everyday items that people can relate to are used. I love cards (have a custom deck collection) and card magic! However, even when we are using ordinary ungaffed decks and cards, there is an element of suspicion among laymen that "trick cards" are being used. Same with other props that are unfamiliar to them and which look like "magic props."

This certainly does not mean I am going to stop doing card magic, but I do believe that the more objects borrowed from the spectators are used (e.g. coins, bills, pen, business card, smart phone etc.), the stronger the impression on the layman. I agree about Matrix - it is a very strong and magical effect - my favorite coin trick. I'm curious what your ending is. Mine is the revelation of a jumbo coin from under the cards. Anyway, you are to be commended for stepping out of your comfort zone and truly expanding yourself...

Reactions: Justinquill
Jul 15, 2017
Thank you for the kind words. I ended with one of my favorite tricks I do, I act like I'm holding a deck of cards, I start shuffling my invisible deck of cards, then I hand my not real deck to a spectator and made her shuffle then, had her through a series of questions pick 1 card out of the invisible deck and throw it in the air. I then catch that invisible card and with a flick of the wrist produce the actual card, seemingly out of thin air. Now I called this mentalism only because I use a lot of the psychology employed in some mentalism routines to accomplish this. I'm sure there are some who will poo poo at me putting it in this category. I just love the look on an audience face when I put everything away and just start walking around pretending to shuffle cards.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results