explaining origin of trick. question?

Nov 29, 2017
N.B canada
I've done coins to pocket from Bobo modern coin magic.
A magician preformed this on penn and teller fool us. Now on three separate times people have said I stole it from the show. Is ok to just say it is actually from an ancient magic text 1000s of years old or something to that effect?

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I've done coins to pocket from Bobo modern coin magic.
A magician preformed this on penn and teller fool us. Now on three separate times people have said I stole it from the show. Is ok to just say it is actually from an ancient magic text 1000s of years old or something to that effect?
I don't see why not. Maybe try putting a unique "Sal Goodman" spin on the trick so that it doesn't seem like a copy of the act from P&T Fool Us.

Reactions: RealityOne

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Think about it this way - when someone sees you perform, do you want them thinking about how they've seen that trick on TV?

Or do you want them to think they've never seen anything like that before?

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I've had this happen a few times. I performed Vernon's triumph and a few people mentioned that they had seen that trick on Fool Us. I assume they are referring to Kostya Kimlat's version of the effect that was on the show. The comment was made very much in the mind set of, "Man! I saw that on TV and it was just as amazing live." It was largely positive but I can see why this might be troubling.

I generally look for less popular magic to perform but it's hard to avoid everything. When this happens, if you just wait a little bit, the trick will lose popularity and they won't say it resembles someone else's stuff as much.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results