Exposure: Not the downfall of magic

Exposure is one of the smallest problems in magic today.

Want me to elaborate? I'd love to, but first I'd like you to think about something. Not one of these let-me-keep-reading-so-I-can-see-where-he's-going-with-this things. I'm actually posing this question to you:

When has exposure interfered with a performance of yours, or of your audience's enjoyment of your magic?

Has it? If so, I’d really like to hear about it, because exposure has never affected me or my performances in any way, shape or form. At all. Not even a little bit. Exposure is a problem that really only magicians worry about, and we worry about it only because we know it’s there. And therein lies the difference; most laymen don’t know that magic exposure is on the internet, and even a smaller percentage of people actually care.

As a magician, it may be hard to put yourself into laymen’s shoes, but please humor me for a minute and try. Is your definition of ‘fun’ really going home and watching videos of how magic tricks are done? Why the hell would you even care how magic tricks are done? Laymen don’t search for magic tutorials as much as we think they do. Maybe once in a while if they have nothing to do after watching David Blaine re-run or something, but not every day.

Now I’m aware of the loss of profit for the production companies (not the artists, as they are always paid up front for magic projects. The producers distributors are the ones losing money), are magicians really bombarded by people who say they learned such-and-such on YouTube to the point where they can’t get a double lift or a palm past anyone?

The fact remains that I am a performer; an entertainer. I really don’t care if some pre-teen is out there exposing Indecent so all of his 12 year old subscribers can perform it for their mirrors (one thing you must also acknowledge is that the people learning these effects and exposing them simply view magic as a fad and it will pass straight over them and they will, more likely than not, never perform for anyone outside of their mom or their webcam). I don’t ‘do’ magic, I entertain people with it. Magic is much more about entertainment and presentation than the secret, a point that all too many of us have forgotten as we rush to buy the newest and latest and greatest. Entertainment is not something you can expose, my friend, and entertainment, not the secret, is what magic is all about. If a professional gets hired for a gig, he’s getting hired for himself. Sure, the magic he does plays a part in it, but not the main part - a magician performing simple tricks with amazing presentation and showmanship will always do better than a magician performing the most mind-numbingly awesome trick with the presentational depth of a computer manual.

Now I'm willing to bet some of you are just about ready to jump out of your seat and yell, “Ryan, you’re wrong!! What if one of my spectators sees something on YouTube and then calls me out on it when I perform it??”. Well that may be true, but you must ask yourself how much this actually happens. And the honest-to-god truth is that it does not happen very often. You also need to accept that this is going to happen if you’re performing big-ticket effects at school, so adjust and adapt. Dig out the Royal Road and perform something in there, or create your own. It’s much easier to change what you’re performing than try to tackle the impossible (for example, removing magic exposure from the internet).

Now do understand that I'm not condoning exposure or turning my head to it. It's just that people are making exposure into a much bigger deal that it actually is and talking about it like it's going to be the downfall of magic.

Hope that gives you something to think about, and if you have anything to say in response, I would really love to hear it :)

Ryan

PS. Thanks to The Dark Angel for pushing me to post this, as this was originally in a PM conversation and posting it didn't even cross my mind :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Missouri, USA
Allow me to play the Devil's advocate for a minute here... Ryan - you are 16 years old, I believe. Correct? Your statements come as a little bold for that age, in my opinion. Don't misinterpret my meaning here - I'm 17. I feel that somebody our age truly cannot understand everything there is about magic and performing. It's something that comes with age. My point is, you are implying that just because you personally haven't run into trouble with spectators recognizing a method that it means nobody else has that issue. I feel that to be quite untrue. I personally have run into a few people that recognize effects from the internet, and sometimes when people hear that I do magic they start conversations about magic on the internet. I'm not saying that it is a huge deal, I'm just saying that it's there and of course it is a problem for some people. Maybe not one for you, but that doesn't mean that everybody else is equally unaffected.

Aside from that little provocation, I believe that you have a good point and I agree with you. It isn't as big of a deal as it is portrayed as. It's how magic is changing, and with change comes fear.

Peace

Oct 18, 2007
Germany
haha jeah i think you are rhight.. most people search at youtube or so but they dont know the keywords to find the magic they want to see.. instead they get a few tricks maybe trie them once but after that they are too lazy to learn it properly or to search for more ... they wont "waste theire time for it" to search on youtube and stuff ... and whats really redicoulous is my friends brother ALWAYS performes a simple but bad done doubble lift ( put it in the deck card comes to top...) and most of his spectators see the 2 cards and say ahhh bad trick.. you took 2 cards .. and then he pleases me to do a trick for them and Ill do the same double lift in my ambitious routine and every one say omg how did u do that ... its the same trick he did but mutch better i hope u know what i mean couse my english suxx... even when they know a simple thing u also do an a routine most of them dont notice that.....:D

but hey... i do magic for a jear now and i startet with searching on youtube now im here on theory 11 bought PANIC.. really nice had no time to learn it but haha so nice ....

Nov 5, 2007
Benicia, CA
If a professional gets hired for a gig, he’s getting hired for himself. Sure, the magic he does plays a part in it, but not the main part - a magician performing simple tricks with amazing presentation and showmanship will always do better than a magician performing the most mind-numbingly awesome trick with the presentational depth of a computer manual.

I don't know dude. I've read some C# contruct white papers that have been real page turners :D

Thank you for sharing this. I couldn't agree more with your position. I am against exposure, but I don't think it hurts the community (magicians, performers, etc.) that much. If anything, it brings people into our community and may set them on the right track. People like to be "wowed" by magic and will often ask "how's did you do that". But they really don't want to know. It would spoil the feeling. Most of those people aren't going to go sit on the Internet later on and try to figure out how or what you did.

Every performer has their heckler. Singers, comics, musicians, politicians... For Magicians, it's the chucklehead who thinks he knows the method but isn't a performer himself (or herself). If they were, they probably wouldn't be interested in watchin you do your thing, or if they were, they probably have at least enough professionalism to shutup and watch and maybe say something to you on the side after you're done and spectators aren't around.

Fighting exposure is like fighting the war on drugs, the war on poverty, or the war on terror. It will always exist. We'll always be against it. We'll always have to deal with it. The best thing we can do is have a plan to deal with that idiot heckler who interupts or threats a performance because he or she thinks they know what we're up to. Develope some patter, or maybe adjust your routine on the fly to avert the exposure of your sleights. As you said, performance will always trump.

Sep 1, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I just want to say I totally agree. Exposure is a problem, but not a big one. I am not talking about from a company standpoint, in which exposure IS a big problem (with magicians, not laymen).

Street magic itself is unique in that it is virtually exposure-proof. If you have a magical moment with a spectator, then part ways, it was worth you performing. Let's say they go home and somehow look up every trick you do. Now they know.... big deal. The magical moment still happened - it can't be erased. Even if they know NOW, you still fooled them at that moment in time, and the "magic" still happened. Even if they do look it up, they will probably respect you for being clever and talented enough to fool them with it.

The problem is school. If someone looks up a trick, you will see them the next day. They could tell other people. They could ruin your reputation. I used to worry about this problem, but even this can be averted. First of all, not as many people care as you think about how a trick is done. You would be shocked at how many people say "no thanks" when someone offers to expose a trick. Second, if some people do look it up, they will delight in keeping the answer to themselves and will remain satisfied that they themselves know it.

Third, if you perform well enough, noone will believe the person that looked up the trick. Example: In my school, i perform magic for my classmates. A few untracable card tricks here and there, limited coin work, etc. I decided to do Fraud. My school was not ready for a trick of that caliber. I did it for 2 people. TWO. Three periods later, over half of my senior class had seen the dollar, and wanted to know how the trick was done. It was TOO popular. Well, being a big effect, someone found it exposed online. He came in and told a few people how it was done, acting like a big-shot. I was worried, but the people that I performed it for INSISTED that he MUST have been wrong, because when they saw the effect, it happened NOTHING like how he described it. My friend said "The bill never left my hands, i used my own sharpie to sign it, and he used one finger and slid the seal back and forth in multiple positions, then left it to remain on the other side. The trick you found was not that trick - it is some kind of cheap rip off." That is what he said. I was shocked. The exposer was immediately discredited, because everyone who saw the trick apparently saw the most exaggerated, amazing bill routine of all time. I do not consider myself to have phenomenal showmanship (only been in magic for 1.5 years), but apparently it was good enough. Exposure has not been a problem since (I will be 18 in March).

Also, exposure as far as wanna-be magicians go: No competent magician will post a sufficient tutorial for an effect due to ethicical issues - that is why its always 12 year old kids posting exposure videos. Noone can learn to perform magic from exposed videos; they can only learn how its done, not how to do it. If someone wants to do an exposed effect, let them fail. They can do the 12year old's version of indecent, and I will do Wayne's version. Let's see who does it better.

Nov 29, 2007
Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
I agree

I completely agree, I've accidentally flashed things during performance,(I haven't been doing it for that long, could use some advise) and I can tell you... "It's not the end of the world." Just because a few guys are trying to "expose" some other guys ideas, that doesn't mean that we should freak out. The so called "exposures" with magic, especially online, aren't that bad, most of them mean to give an affordable, free magic trick to a young magician, who by the way, cannot own a mastercard, thus not able to perchase anything online anyways. Aswell, I don't live anywhere near a magic shop, I live in B.C., Canada, where the closest thing to a magic shop, is a clown and jokes shop.
I remember when I had no idea about anything in magic... I caught a magician doing something in his act, I turned to my friend, and said I knew what he was doing... "I didn't freak out"...now that being said, some audience members do freak out and tell everyone... that's not a problem, because half of the audience doesn't care, they're not going to go out, tall all their friends, family, dogs, cats, cattle and birds.. they are going to continue with they'r daily lives, which most likely has nothing to do with any magicians in the first place.
I have never had a problem with exposure so big that I couldn't ignore it, handle it, or forget it, it's really not a big deal... Aswell, in all the cases I have even heard of, no-onehas ever gone out on a limb to devote their entire lives to exposing magic. (Alex Jones and others are to busy going after the dominating new world order.)
BTW, I do agree with this thread 100% of the way(if you didn't notice).

Sep 11, 2007
Houston TX
yep thats right indecent video 40 mins youtube version 2mins now what happen to the other 38mins of detail instructions to be honest the people exposing on youtube have never even perform outside their room and if they did im pretty sure their presentations would suck, wait they expose the same tricks they learned off youtube lol

Sep 1, 2007
USA
i have run into so much trouble (well not really trouble but i just hate when this happens) with people that i know.... i do a trick for them, and they start off saying that they saw how to do it on youtube so they are not amazed at all... and you might know the feeling of doing a trick to someone and them not getting amazed... well when that happens to me, it just makes me want to never do a trick again

so theres my two cents

Zac Gordon

How about piracy?

Also add to the fact that if you perform for primarily an internet inclined generation, who actually takes interest in exposing tricks and finding out how it is done.. I say it can be quite a problem..

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
How about piracy?

Also add to the fact that if you perform for primarily an internet inclined generation, who actually takes interest in exposing tricks and finding out how it is done.. I say it can be quite a problem..

Contrary to popular belief, Pirates only attack ships, and pose no known threat to magicians. :p

Sep 2, 2007
exposure is bad, but he's right, presentation is everything.

Presentation is 60% of the trick

the other 40% is actual magic

Oct 21, 2007
I agree, exposure is not a HUGE problem but it still is a problem that magicains would be much better off without. I have ran into a few incidents were someone who knew how two card monte was done and he shouted out and exposed the trick... I felt like an idoit, but hey, what can you do about those @$$#01* "magicains" on youtube who expose tricks.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results