First time doing table to table magic

Nov 6, 2017
Hi all,

First time asker, long time lurker.

So I've been asked to do some table to table magic for a charity dinner. It'll be my first time doing magic in this style (as I'm usually doing street magic or one off while standing). So I just wanted to fire a few questions so I feel a bit more prepared.

1) How long should a routine be? There will be around 20 - 30 tables to get through.

2) When should I perform the magic? In between courses? After everyone has eaten?

3) How to approach a table and do an introduction?

4) Any other tips to take into consideration?

Hopefully I can get some answers and feel a bit more at ease :)

Thanks everyone

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Hi,
I don't claim to be an expert by any means; however I have been doing this for the past 18 years semi professionally and can offer what has worked for me.

Strolling magic or table hopping should be broken up into sets of effects. There should be a fast opener that grabs their attention within the first 30 seconds. Your other effects can be a bit more of routine that have good stopping points should you need to finish due to food arriving or a presenter getting ready to speak, etc.

I have 3 sets of 3 effects. Set A, Set B, and Set C which all go into specific spots of my suit coat and pants pockets.
Pocket management is crucial and imperative when table hopping. You don't need to load up with 20 effects. 9 will be plenty but you may wish to also bring a solid closer should the client try to show you off to any big wigs.

Alternate your sets A,B,&C as you work your way around the tables. This alleviates people looking over at you from the next table and already knowing what is coming their way. It kind of kills the shock and awe factor if they have already seen your kicker ending to a card routine because they could see from the nearby table.

Approaching a table can cause some anxiety and nervousness since this is your first time. Make sure they are not eating or in an intimate conversation or arguing about something. You'll learn how to read the scenario as you get more experience.

Typically I've never performed at table while they are eating. It is normally before during a cocktail hour, or right after drink order has been taken, or as they are finishing up dessert.

Please do not, I repeat, do not go up to the best looking girl/woman at the table and play the smooth magician guy who appears to be hitting on her and say cheesy lines. This looks really poor and I see it all of the time. Also, I do not recommend trying to pull a sucker effect on the alpha male sitting at the table as they will become offended quickly because you made them look bad in front of the table.

Try your best not to move or touch items on the table as some people do not want you touching their glass or plate or silverware even if it is in the way. I don't typically put cards or items in my mouth at these types of venues either.

Do leave a business card(s) with every table as someone will definitely book you further down the road.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Great advice Rick! Let me see if I can answer each point with my approach to table hopping:

1. You should not spend more than 5 or so minutes at each table. Maybe 2 like 2 quick effects then move on. This also depends on how long you are there. 20-30 tables in 2 hours will be 5 mins each max. If you are there for longer you can relax the set a bit and perform more if you like.

2. It depends on the event. Is everyone in the room sitting down at once and being served at once? Or are they staggering in like a restaurant setting? If it is the first one, then you may have to just start at one end of the room and work you way through everyone regardless of wether or not they are eating or you will be standing around waiting for awhile. If it is the second, then you should perform while they are waiting for their meal before they eat.

3. there are two ways i do this. I either introduce myself as a magician and ask if they would like to see a quick 5 minute show, or i do some sort of visual piece of magic to get their attention then ask if they want to see more.

4. Lastly the type of magic you decide to use should fall into the following categories:
-Instant reset: The tricks you do should not require you to reset in between tables. this is a huge was it of time.
-visual: The tricks should be visual since the audience may have difficulty hearing you. Story tricks that are long and plot heavy may not work best.
-No table: Do not perform on the table. They won't be able to see it/there is not room.
-to the point. As i said earlier no long drawn out plots. keep it short and sweet. try to get the audience to participate as much as possible.
-

Reactions: RickEverhart
Nov 6, 2017
I am so glad someone asked this, I have been doing magic for just under a year and so far I have performed for family and family friends and the odd person here and there in a bar when I've been out with family. I have been asked to do a family wedding in a few months time just from them seeing two very quick and basic card tricks, I feel like I really need to step up though considering 1. It is for a family members wedding and 2. They had entertainment booked and cancelled it to have me perform magic table to table instead.

Any tips on how I can prepare myself? (Btw I'm female so I can't stuff a suit with effects ) also as it is an evening reception it's going to be very casual and laid back so I've been told I can dress casual, is it worth wearing some type of jacket still so I have pocket space?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results