The Magician Online

The Magician Online is a live, interactive, online experience - in the comfort of your own home. Starring Dan White. As seen by Ashton Kutcher, Ariana Grande, Chris Rock, James Corden, Jessica Alba, and President Clinton.

See details

Flip Video Camera for Magic?

Flip or Other?

• Flip Camera

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Other Camera

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
I'm thinking of buying a flip video camera to record my magic. They shoot in HD, come with their own editing software, the one I'm thinking of can shoot 2 hours of video, it's 8 GB, and best of all it's only $140. If anyone knows of another camera that would be useful that's relatively inexpensive your advise is welcome. Or if you believe this is a good idea please say so as this advise is welcome as well. Thank you for your replies.

Jan 12, 2011
A bit more info on exactly what you will be filming would be nice(on the street, at home with preperation, stage, etc). I will say that the Flip editing software will not be too good, and the sound on a flip will be TERRIBLE.

Jan 12, 2011
When I watch street magic I prefer to listen to the patter used and reactions instead of just music. Do you have a budget? Because I would probably go for a slightly better camera and a mic for street. If your set on using music then I would just invest in a better camera that isn't excessive for you.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
the directional mic on Flip's isn't terrible, but if your in a loud environment you will definitely have issues. I'v used a flip for several videos, and while its not the best, it does the job for the price. Im hoping to switch to a canon vixia soon.

Jan 12, 2011
The most money I can use is probably $200, but I prefer it as low as possible. What are your suggestions as far as audio goes? I won't mind non-HD video quality, but it can't be horrible either.

If you're going with a flip, and it has a port for external mics, then I would do that. Or you could get a seperate recorder/mic.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Your best bet would be to save a tad more money and buy a small HD cam for around $300 which will provide you with a much nicer sound quality and better zoom. If you are just "messing around" and don't care much then the FLIP will be fine but I know way too many guys who say they wished that would have passed on the FLIP because they were not happy with the picture and sound quality.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results