For better reactions

Jan 15, 2008
in the royal court
i am in school right now and i just finished performing for two groups of people (most of them seniors, i am a sophmore) so for the first one i started off with a wave the aces, and it diodnt get very good reactins, the i went in to ACR and all good, but to the other group i started woth a triumph, then a ACR, and ended with wave the aces (i didnt talk throughout the performance) and it got such reactions!! why is this?? please help, i want more of this strong reactions..

o and just a tip: get the closer by morgan strebler (i think) and =start off with that (closer used for opener, ironically)... thats what i do gets people hooked on your show...

any tip to enchance reactions?

Nov 1, 2007
It could be your patter - tighten it up if necessary, make it a little smoother. I don't know for sure what your scripting is like, but it's one possibility (I personally find the minimalist approach to work best - saying only a few important details, but your mileage may vary.) Try different scripts and presentations.

It could also be the effects. Can you perform them well? Practiced?

Sometimes it's just the audience. They may not care or just aren't strong supporters of the trick in question. So really, your best bet would be to perform it a few more times to different groups, see what plays well and what doesn't, what gets a good response, and then change the performance and patter to tighten your focus on what works best.

Like that one guy says.... If you really could pull off these magical feats, you do them, no presentations, or written scripts. You would just do them. With some effects patter is needed. Waving the aces needs no written scripts. after you cold read what kind of people they are you will know what to say to suck them into the magic and hold them there from beginning to end.

Jan 5, 2008
Drury Lane
Performances and Results

A few years ago when I first started magic, I did a simple double lift, card back to top trick. Obviously to you, this is the simplest trick that could ever be done.
My reactions were, "Oh. Ok that's cool. ' - ' "

Years after witnessing true reactions and perfecting my -performance-, not the trick, the audience would be blown away.
I would do the same trick, but people would go "W..Wait.. But HOW?? O_O "

-My routine?
Well I just go up to people and say "Hey can I show you something?"
-ALWAYS give them your own little story just to cause anxiety and tension.
ALWAYS talk when doing a trick. If you don't say a word, they won't understand what's going on, and they'll lose attention.

-Also, you said that you did the same Wave the Aces trick twice, but got way better reactions.
-The more people you perform to, the better chances of a good reaction.
~~Have you noticed that it's easier to laugh at a joke if there are other people to laugh along with?
~The same goes with a magic trick.

If it's difficult for you to approach a group of spectators, then just work on a single layman. Practice your performance on a single trick to one person, than move up the standards to two or more.

[By the way, if you actually tell a story, then make sure to base it on the trick.]

Good Luck!

mm~

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results