For you owners of The Paper Engine

Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
As far as card magic goes, Fisher's thrust of using relaxation and tension as tools for your sleights give rise to a level of ease and naturalness in performance, giving us more ablility to control the focus of the audience, plus a whole lot more...

I assume we're all in this endeavour called Magic because we love giving people the chance of enjoying the pleasure of being terribly, terribly decieved; astonished; or what have you. ie. we practice so we can perform for others.

I believe the Paper Engine teaches an extremely fundamental principle regarding performing -- the end of our means -- the purpose of our practice. Fisher's extremely insightful, full of great teaching and poinient statements.

I find myself wishing I purchased this earlier. It would have prevented many setbacks, most of which dealt with me being a bit nervous about my sleights, seeing the spec burn my hands, leading to me getting even more nervous, then messing up the trick...

So, I'm curious.... if you knew when you first started magic what you know now, 1) what would you purchase, 2) in what order, and 3) where would Paper Engine rank in that list?

so off the top of my head (I might edit this later) my card magic list would be:

A) Crash Course 1 & 2 from ellusionist (easy tricks, great reactions... I never would've gotten hooked with magic if I purchased a book first)
B) W:H's Stigmata (all time favorite)
C) Card Fundamentals 1 & 2 (T11 1-on-1... Great teaching and a great intro to Fisher)
D) Royal Road to Card Magic -- Book and DVD
E & F) Paper Engine / DnD's Trilogy (this is here because I loved the challenge of feeling like I bit off more than I can chew and for me their explanations were clear though would take work...)

If I stripped down my magic collection to the basic and essential, this is what I'd keep and what I wish I started with.

Edit: Added in RRtCM. I agree, basics first and of course you must have your slieghts down and your tricks well put together.

I guess the crux of what I'm asking, is when in the learning process would you begin putting an emphasis on performance, showmanship, routining, and audience management.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 10, 2009
I do not recomend book to new magic learners. You will get bored VERY FAST. Video are more visual so i do not recomend it. If you need to master your Sleight of hand, send me a message. I will give u a list of dvds to buy for your sleight of hand.

Theres a book called "stronger magic" i cant remember the author. Its really good. Teachs you things like how to overcome nervousness etc etc.

Jul 14, 2008
When I first started card magic, here is the list:
The Royal Road to Card Magic
Card Control by Arthur Buckley
Expert Card Technique Book

These three books are the must-a-get because Trilogy by Dan and Dave Buck was my first dvd and to learn tricks as well. As time passes by, I became very frustrated, so I decided to get these books which I am proud to have it. After that, it is time for you to buy the Paper Engine. Remember, basics comes first, if you want to become serious about TPE

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results