Good stage trick . . . for a funeral?

Jan 5, 2010
Gents, I need a recommendation here. I'm a close-up magician of three years' experience, average talent, and intermediate repertoire (mostly cards). I've not done any stage work, but I need a stand-alone stage trick that can be mastered in a month or less. And it needs to be suitable for a darkly comic, Irish wake-style funeral . . . it's a long story, don't ask.

Any ideas? Your advice would be most appreciated.

Dec 11, 2010
California
You could do a floating rose trick (I forgot by who). That is the only one I can think of atm.

But I dont know why you would do a "dark comedy" or a magic trick in a funeral

Jan 5, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion and the source!

And I understand why this seems like an odd request. It wasn't my idea: it's for a mock funeral that's being held as a party for someone who, by all account, should be dead. So it's actually a happy occasion. The family requested a trick. Yes, weird, I know.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Thanks for the suggestion and the source!

And I understand why this seems like an odd request. It wasn't my idea: it's for a mock funeral that's being held as a party for someone who, by all account, should be dead. So it's actually a happy occasion. The family requested a trick. Yes, weird, I know.

Oh, ok. I was thinking "Who would hire a magicican to perform at such a depressing event?".

Sep 1, 2007
Gypsy thread is possible is you want to go for poignancy. If you want something a little more tongue-in-cheek, look to some of Eugene Burger's work.

May 10, 2009
"A month to prepare?....for a Funeral? " That same thing acrossed my mind...LOL.Of course the best trick would be to "raise the dead"

Jan 5, 2010
"A month to prepare?....for a Funeral? " That same thing acrossed my mind...LOL.Of course the best trick would be to "raise the dead"

Agreed. Like I said, it's a fake funeral as a party for someone who narrowly avoided death. All agree he should be a goner.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I'm not touching this one with a ten foot pole. Sorry mate, with that little of information and my own personal views on grieving, your on your own.
I've been away in large part choosing to pursue a horror podcast with my internet time. Creative examinations of the macabre put to printed word have been a daily part of my life as of late. I didn't want to speak at first. Now it seems that the request may have been perhaps something I can speak my mind about.

If you can saw someone in half then by all means, go for broke. Andrew Mayne seems to have some new product that allows for a similar effect using cardboard boxes. Many guillotines and body part chopping devices are very easy to use. You'll need to practice your presentation, of course. I would also advise working directly the prop itself for any quirks or to find anything that might go wrong. Still, they aren't that difficult.

Go through Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Magic. If you can't find some way to make a tasteless and macabre trick out of some of that material then there may be no helping you at all.

I apologize if I have misunderstood the intent.

I am also glad to hear that everyone is well. I would have passed without even saying as much had this been a real funeral.

Feb 7, 2011
Darkly comic, Irish wake-style funeral thats a month away? Can you not just wise up and give us more information.

Apr 4, 2011
I think Gypsy Balloon by Tony Clark will play really well, due to the fact that it use a helium-filled balloon and in the end of the routine, you can let the balloon go, or maybe you can let all the spectator put their messages to the deceased on the balloon itself, do the routine, and tell them, now you will send it to him/her, to heaven.

My 2 cents.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results