Good time to be a magician.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
This is a good time to be a magician, isn't it?

We are more acceptable by layman, because of Blaine and Angel, so the layman are familiar with street magic and close up magic. They are not that scared of some guy with cards, because they saw it before on TV.

But that is not the main reason for this thread. You can purchase effect's from internet, buy supplies, talk to other magicians, view performances, and all that without leaving the comfort of your room.

And the most important things of all, the companies actually listen to us, and they all copy each other for us. I'll explain this a little more.
Let's start chronologically. Let's say that once upon a time, there was only one online magic store, and soon as the other companies saw how well the business goes for that store, they opened their own. Now we have hundreds of stores. Next is the companies like Ellusionist, Penguin and T11 that has their own personal magicians who creates effects, and their own accessories.
So they started to copy each other again.

Now, to the most recent history. After books and multieffect videos, there were "one effect" dvd's, which makes more money. So every magician started to make "one effect" dvd's, because everybody liked them.

Than, there were "1 on 1", which brought whole other perspective. It was followed by "on demand" (D&D), even Justin Miller has this on his site.

Than, people got effects they want (need), but they didn't know anything about the theory of magic, spectators, presentation etc... So along came TA to fulfill this need. Now Wayne Houchin will have a 60 minute long section about theory and presentation on his new project "Art of Magic". And soon, every DVD will have these sections on them.

But now, people got bored of "one effect" DVD's... So, again, it's Wayne Houchin with "AoM" and Daniel Garcia with "Symphony", to the rescue. I don't need to mention that these two artists have a lot of "one effect" DVD's.
Again, the proof that they listen to us...

Now, every major web site (magic), has podcast. Aaron Fisher, T11, Ellusionist, Wayne Houchin... Because they saw that people like them, and can learn a lot from those podcasts.

This thread don't have any special point, except to start a discussion. We all see the patter these companies use: forums, 1on1's, multiple effect dvd's, podcast, media sections, contests... When one new thing comes out, all other companies are trying to imply it on their site.

It is a good time to be a magician, right?

p.s. When "the Wire" comes out, what ever it might be, I bet all other companies will have similar thing not long after...

Sep 20, 2008
Just marketing tactics. Fulfilling Niches. 'Gaps in the market'. Supply and Demand.

Its not the companies saying "we'll start this, and it'll be the SEX!"

Its companies saying "What do customers need? And supplying them. Magic shops were Bricks and mortar from before, due to civilization to hit and the obvious niche for international sales, online stores were born.

I think you have your perspective a tad bit skewed.

Oct 30, 2007
I'm with you Sinful - business is business. I might be really cynical, but when I read all of those things that were mentioned in the first post (and quite well done too), I just thought, 'they want to make money, they want to make money, ...'

I agree, Toby, they listen to us, but with a business bend on it. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some 'saturation of the market' soon and we'll see a few of these stores die out.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I'm with you Sinful - business is business. I might be really cynical, but when I read all of those things that were mentioned in the first post (and quite well done too), I just thought, 'they want to make money, they want to make money, ...'

I agree, Toby, they listen to us, but with a business bend on it. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some 'saturation of the market' soon and we'll see a few of these stores die out.

Yes, exactly, that's what I meant (but forgot to mention). I'm just saying, if they LISTEN, we should SPEAK.

Even thou they do all that for money and for business, it is improving magic and magicians BIG TIME.
I really hope they will continue to do that...

jr?

Apr 3, 2009
leeds and halifax
www.jrmagic.co.uk
in time we all come up with the same thing!

hi all i hope the things i say is good to say , we all come up with new things each day of a week, but if we got time to work on some thing that is ok for use to do. if magic is on line all the time is that bad for use all. bec the one who see use do the things we do for work that they like to see. will get to no how we did it! and they might not book us . that mean we all got to come up with new things and for get the past that was so good last week at that one show. if no magic place to go to meet new face with in magic and to look at the thing you are geting , is it the right thing you need in your act. we need to go to a place to meet and to say hi and geve then some work to do. we gave a new light a new hope with magic and the world and if we lost some things in magic they will be lost for good ( you might find some thing that no one has got just the one who got all ) . yes it is good to be on line to see what new and who doing what.

Not justis this a good time to be a magician because of the sudden interest in it, but it also is good because the only for of business doing well in the economy now is entertainment. People need to be entertained, sot hey can keep their mind off of everythoing else.

Dylan P.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Not justis this a good time to be a magician because of the sudden interest in it, but it also is good because the only for of business doing well in the economy now is entertainment. People need to be entertained, sot hey can keep their mind off of everythoing else.

Dylan P.

I thought that entertainment would be bad during bad economy because it is a luxury and luxuries are the least of their priorities.

Jun 22, 2009
I think its a good time to be a magician because now is the time I decided to become a magician :D

Honestly its good and bad. Good because of access to so much material... bad because people leak the material paid for on Youtube and dont give a rats@ss about it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results