Great Routine

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
For the past week i had been working on combining d+M's OVERKILL (from his book COLLATERAL) with a psychological force . I came up with a pretty good routine and after practicing it for many hours i performed today at school...
(One of our teachers loves to watch my magic)

I wrote a prediction on a notepad while the deck was beeing shuffled. i Turned the notepad down and invited the teacher to hand me ANY card from the deck when he was done shuffling . I took it placed it on the pad and and left the pad aside for a moment (no one had seen the card yet).I turned to the rest of the class and asked them to imagine a card (here comes a psychological force of the 3 of diamonds),then asked one of my classmates to name the card she was thinking of: the 3 of diamonds! Others also stated to had thought of the same card. I showed the prediction which read 3 of diamonds and then i turned the card face up to reveal it was also the 3 of diamonds.
gasps.........
for the kicker ending i asked the teacher to reach inside his pocket where he found a 3 of diamonds folded Jumbo card.
................everyone was talking about that for the rest of the day.....................

What do you guys think about this routine?

George

BlakeVogt

Elite Member
Oct 28, 2008
Vegas
Ya man I have a few ideas about how you could do that, but all combined and that fast, I dont know. I'd love to see that happen! The organization of the revelations was brilliant and totally just a brain explosion for your class. Well done.

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
That sounds great. I havn't had much luck with psychological forces. They get the right card about half the time, maybe less. I'm glad it worked so well.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
THat sounds cool, but to me it seems like a bunch of effects copied and pasted together :rolleyes:

It's good that you got the reactions, but I wouldn't have done it the same way - too many 'climaxes', the revelation of the thought of card is the first (and biggest), but it should be the only one.

Oh well, good perfomormance I hope!

GW

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Seems good but the only thing I have a problem with (only personal opinion) was the reveal with the jumbo card in the teachers jacket pocket. What was the context of it being there. Did you place it there openly or did it magical appear there. The reason I say this if because if you openly placed it there infront of the class then what was the point? You already wrote it down and if you made it magically appeared there then the effect could have been played down as simply a trick. With effect's like Overkill and all good mentalism effects they gain their strength from their simplicity. By adding the jumbo card in my opinion it complicated things. A better way to reveal would have been a odd backed card mailed the day before so the envelope is dated by the post office. At least that way that card has a way of getting there that is not only secure but also within the context.

But anyway good job and I am glad everything went well for you.

p.s. these are just my views on mentalism, Bob Cassidy said it best by saying you are not trying to do anything clever with the piece of paper (cards in this case) you are just reading minds (predicting in your story).

Mar 8, 2008
New Hampshire
I love it when a psychological force works. It is the greatest feeling for a magician to execute it correctly (In my opinion). It also is great for the spectator because it is a card they thought of and you found it without knowing what it is.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
To answer some of the questions

1) The jumbo card "magically" appeared on his pocket.
2) While it has many climaxes it all flows well and the one is greater than the other and you can stop at any point ( I had the 3 card routine in mind when combined the effects)
3) Although i believe that the reactions will be a little forced because of the camera i will film it as soon as i perform it live

May 8, 2008
England
I it works for you great, sounds powerful, if a little bit 'climaxy'.
The only thing I don't like is the Jumbo card. Just... No.
1. Unnecessary climax.
2. makes the effect suddenly seem more trickery or sleight of hand based, rather than 'holy crap, he did **** with his mind'

Still nice one on the combination and a quality performance.

-S

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
The jumbo card climax was a bit of an overkill because you had already written a prediction card.
That should have been your climax.

You have to know when to stop and say enough is enough and that the effect itself plays a big impact without adding in so many reveals.

Anyway, above all it sounds like you had a good time performing and your class had fun, and thats what really counts.
Way to be creative though!

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
I it works for you great, sounds powerful, if a little bit 'climaxy'.
The only thing I don't like is the Jumbo card. Just... No.
1. Unnecessary climax.
2. makes the effect suddenly seem more trickery or sleight of hand based, rather than 'holy crap, he did **** with his mind'

Still nice one on the combination and a quality performance.

-S

I didnt think of that . Anyway i will get rid of the card .

thanks for the responses

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results