Guardians... no support?!

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
I guess Ellusionist just spoils its customers. Same market. Obviously proves that there is demand for them.

I just thought there might be some support for one of T11s highest selling products. My honest mistake.

I'm sorry Sciffy, you're clearly disgusted at my lazyness and I honestly didn't mean to offend you. I honestly wouldn't have started a thread if a PM that I sent to one of the high ups was answered.

Once again, sorry to have offended you Sciffy. Sincere apologies.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Its all good...
The way Ellusionist works is very different from T11.
What they do is release just the Ghost Gaff and regular Gaff. Due to the lack of choices of decks from E, there is a definate market for both gaff decks. For t11, every deck is liked, yet we are unsure of whether or not a gaff would be a good product. It may work, it may not. You are asking for Guardian utility cards alone. But I am sure there are many other people who would want 125 gaffs, Prop gaffs, Cent gaffs, etc. They cant go and produce them all just to satisfy everyone. So instead of trying to further satisfy everyone without a definate payback, they just rather leave it as it is where no one is dissappointed. This is what I think... not sure. Dont work here, but that seems the most logical to me.

If you learn to split cards, you will find a world of amazing gaffs. You can make acrobatic cards, blanks, doubles, half half, etc... And the satisfaction you get from making those cards just feel great.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Are the guardians really the most popular?
From the "what is your favorite deck" threads, most people say they are very... "meh" with the guardians. I love them, but a lot of magicians I talk to dont.

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
Are the guardians really the most popular?
From the "what is your favorite deck" threads, most people say they are very... "meh" with the guardians. I love them, but a lot of magicians I talk to dont.

I remember JB saying that they were the most popular. You've got to remember the forums would only contribute a small amount of T11s buyers, which I'm sure you're aware.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I think it would all come down to supply and demand. I don't think there would be enough of a demand for people wanting gaffed guardian decks compared to what it might cost Theory 11 to produce. I could be wrong though. It would be interesting to see how man gaffed decks E sells.

I used to be a custom deck guy but more and more I just use normal bikes for everything. Practice, shows, destroying, etc. I love being able to go to Sam's Club and getting a brick for 14 bucks.

Chris is correct in that you could make your own invisible deck cheaply. As for individual gaff cards...I do agree with you that splitting cards is not for everyone. Been down that road and I found it easier to just pay for the gaffs I want.

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
Thanks for your post. I agree with everything that you've said pretty much.

I just think that if Ellusionist can happily print gaff cards and make all those other decks and stuff, then it surely must be lucrative. E isn't stupid, they wouldn't do it if it wasn't. I just wonder why I've had a PM ignored and nobody has responded to this thread. It's quite a simple case of

" We would rather make DVD's than produce other cards "

or

" We're currently looking into this "

Thanks for your post again!

"Sure, there are people that will just say, get over it and use bikes...they're cheaper anyway. The thing is, I shouldn't have to"

If you'd like to explain why you're entitled to gaffed guardians, I'm all ears. Were you promised them when you initially invested in a standard pack of guardians?

Assuming you want gaffed cards to warrant reactions; why not just get a pack of gaffed bikes? You will generally get more genuine reactions with regular bikes than any special triple-black limited edition silver cobra surprise. Honestly.

In the time it took you to make these posts, you could've located several resources for learning how to create your own gaffs. No more than $10 from any home supply store. Good luck!

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
Haha what!!?

Did you just say (I may have read it wrong) that a normal deck of bikes would give a better reaction generally, than using other cards?

Come off it.

I'm not entitled to gaffs, I just THINK that support for these cards wouldn't go amiss. Maybe Theory11 realize that there main demographic are teenagers who perform nothing but IMPROMPTU SLEIGHT OF HAND miracles and don't need any utility cards. Well, if that's the case then that's fine. I'd just like an answer from someone who actually knows what they're talking about

Haha what!!?

Did you just say (I may have read it wrong) that a normal deck of bikes would give a better reaction generally, than using other cards?

Come off it.

I'm not entitled to gaffs, I just THINK that support for these cards wouldn't go amiss. Maybe Theory11 realize that there main demographic are teenagers who perform nothing but IMPROMPTU SLEIGHT OF HAND miracles and don't need any utility cards. Well, if that's the case then that's fine. I'd just like an answer from someone who actually knows what they're talking about

yes he did say that, and what he probably meant by that is a NORMAL deck looks like that normal. And you turning a normal card to a gaff card is a little less expected than a unusual deck turning into an unusual card.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
what they generally mean is that custom decks are more prone to suspicioun that normal decks. If you perform a gaff needed trick with a custom deck, there is a chance of someone wanting to check it. If you are using utility cards, then you will have to steal it out. If you are using gaffs, they may just dismiss the entire deck as rigged.
Its just that performing with regular bikes gaff or no gaff looks a lot more natural to the laymens eye.

Jul 13, 2009
LOL@My Generation of magicians

Hmm you’re a bit of a firecracker aren’t you Jupiter? In Jupiter’s original post he explains that he once heard/read the CEO of Theory11, Jonathan Bayme say that guardians are the best selling deck. Jupiter agrees, but feels that there is nothing made to back up an alleged best selling deck. After this he continues to compare E and all of their gaff decks, and then why doesn’t theory11 do the same? Jupiter would purchase a gaff deck if it were manufactured and feels other might as well. Card splitting is out of the question and anyone who suggests it should get out.

Now Jupiter came across as very opinionated and possibly even arrogant. The thing is I recall the title of best selling deck for guardians being made when they were first released. Gaff cards cost money and are a hit and miss, plus if you actually take the time to look at who the target audience is for the decks of cards sold here (T11) are targeted toward the flourishers or the flashy cardicians. Magicians are also the target audience but I kind of feel that it leans toward the flourishers more.

Also I think the opposite should be said about the card splitting. That is just a modern convienince that is not always going to be there. Ever heard of adaptation, humans are masters at it. If you need gaff cards sit down and make your own, it isn’t hard and it is quite fulfilling. I am pretty sure you are young and with that you want instant gratification. I am going to tell you right now; sometimes you have to work to get what you want. Working is not sitting on your rear and ranting about a very trivial problem that can be solved very easily. Unfortunately you made it clear that you don’t want to take that solid solution and take the very unreliable solution of making a rant of a post in a forum board where a-holes like myself can tell you why you are wrong.

Another thing, why would T11 want to be more like E? If T11 started to do what E does, what makes T11 unique?

Really I can just sum my true feelings up in about one sentence.

LOL your a body that will hit the floor in the long run, cause your lazy, you don't listen, and you think you know everything.

Suddenly I feel like listening to this.

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
Actually what I read was kind of recent...maybe 6 months ago?

Thanks for the recap and great song. Unfortunately your little summation at the end is a little off. If anything it was the stupid comments like "learn sleight of hand" and something about me only "doing self working card tricks" that got the firecracker lit. I'm usually very calm.

Once again, thanks for the recap!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results