Have You Noticed?

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
First off, Im not trying to rant here.
Just noticed something and it bugged the hell out of me.
Has anyone noticed that there are these beginners in magic who seem to sell the first trick they make up?
I won't point out any names, but I watched a few magic videos of sold effects and it bugged me pretty bad. These are those effects sold in random websites and stuff by kids of around 14-16. They make 1 effect and think its the bees knees and they try to sell it. When you watch them perform, you just think "what are they doing?" you see them fumble with the shuffle, they control the card amateurishly, and they cant credit what they are doing.
For example, I was watching a video of a kid (15? 16?) teaching a trick. And he teaches the Marlo Tilt. What he says is "I dunno what its called but you take this card and do this." Then he shows you from about 4 meters of him doing the move once. I sat there wanting to punch something.
There was another kid who taught the DL in his video. The way he does it is he does a back thumb count and holds the card very tightly along the top and bottom edge. It really bugged me as it was pretty obvious that this kid had absolutely no knowledge of sleight of hand what so ever and just made a trick for the sake of it.
I was just wondering if any has noticed this.
not trying to start a big argument of rants and all that crap.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
haha
indeed it is
but yea.
it just kinda bugs me how these kids think they can let out products when they cant perform the easiest of things.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Yes I've seen some and they are very annoying. Some kid who been
doing magic for 6 months now thinks he’s capable of teaching when in
reality he doesn’t know a thing about teaching and can’t perform
correctly. I would say it’s a joke but I don’t actually find it funny.

In the end its not furthering my skills any so I try to avoid and stay away.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yeah, sure.

It used to mean something when the ad said "from x's professional repertoire!" - it used to mean that the magician had been developing the trick for decades and was actually, truly, developed. It used to mean things were researched. They knew who came up with what routine. And they knew that what they had done was different.

Well, that's slipping away, I definitely agree with you sciffydof.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I remember the old days when you watch a DVD or read a book and the guy says "this routine... I have been using for about... 20 years now...and it has always done well... Now i will release it to you."

Now it is "this routine... i thought up about 1 month ago when I was at home. It uses this new move I call the... um... I dont remember but you basically lift two cards."

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
I remember the old days when you watch a DVD or read a book and the guy says "this routine... I have been using for about... 20 years now...and it has always done well... Now i will release it to you."

Now it is "this routine... i thought up about 1 month ago when I was at home. It uses this new move I call the... um... I dont remember but you basically lift two cards."

sad but true

George

Nov 8, 2008
U.S.
I've done magic for Two years and have pretty wide knowledge of sleight of hand, and I won't release anything for a good chunk of time, maybe 6-7 years. I hate those kids who release a trick like 3 minutes after they thought of it.
Joshua Jay said that when you have one good thing, thats cool. But you should wait to release anything until you have like 6-7 good things.
Personally, I see too many over-priced one trick DVD's with a kid who's done magic for like... a year, and thinks he knows everything.

Sep 1, 2007
Yes. I have. And it does bother me.

Take a person like Ricky Jay, who is arguably the best sleight of hand artist period. He has never released a single trick or a set of lecture notes--nothing. Obviously he's made major strides in terms of his mastery of the art, but he's published nothing--why is this? Because (and in his own words, more or less) he is still learning everyday.

Hell, I've "created" tons of things, ideas, routines, etc., but I would never publish them because I create them to use for myself. Why would I want someone using my tricks with my presentation. It doesn't work for someone else. It works for me. Maybe it's a bit selfish, and maybe it's a bit hypocritical since I buy other effects on the market to use, but the point is that I would never publish something I create simply for the sake of seeing it in print.

These kids think they can make something, sell it and then make money. and get famous or something. they dont understand that you have to go out and perform it to become famous and rich (if that what you want to do with magic)
i tried to do this after a year. and i know now that i was very ill prepared and i wont be able to get anything for quite a while

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Maybe this one's just me, but i'll say two words: Axis Change.

A gay baby was just born. . .

Lol, no but seriously.
I think we should just let them do what they want. Honestly, whose going to buy their "effects" other than their parents?
Too many young magicians think that magic is a get rich quick scheme. Haven't they ever heard of creating magic for self gain?

I love creating new effects, not to sell, but to be original.

It's sets me aside from every 'poser' out there that just purchases tricks with their parents credit card and learns strictly published effects. There's nothing wrong with learning published tricks, but I feel if you know the basics, then there's nothing stopping you from creating your own material. Even if it has already been done, create a different handling for it that fits you and your style.
I couldn't tell you how many youtube performances I've seen where a person would perform a trick with the exact same patter and the exact same handling as taught in the instructional DVD, when these variables can easily be changed for better handling. What are we robots?
We buy magic to adapt to our style, not the other way around.

Sorry to go on a little rant there. That just needed to be said.

for me is funny, is just the kids pretend to be something they dont (posers! XDDD), but seriously, if someone buy a dvd/books/research someones work, is for getting the knowledge of how the effect works, and then in some time u start thinking how magic works, is deception and illusion.

when u get started in magic u start to copycat the performance, line by line u perform like u see it, but when the years pass, u start to getting the true, is not the line, is not the story u saw/hear, is about u, if u said something that, dont fit u, well, ur spectator/audience will think something fishy is going on.

when someone create an effect/sleight/illusion/something is because they are looking for it, and it fits their personality/style, and is not for sell it right away.

That went right over my head. I still don't get it :confused:.

There's nothing wrong with learning published tricks, but I feel if you know the basics, then there's nothing stopping you from creating your own material. Even if it has already been done, create a different handling for it that fits you and your style.
I couldn't tell you how many youtube performances I've seen where a person would perform a trick with the exact same patter and the exact same handling as taught in the instructional DVD, when these variables can easily be changed for better handling. What are we robots?

I can't help but agree with this, it's that simple.

Sep 1, 2007
Hell, I've "created" tons of things, ideas, routines, etc., but I would never publish them because I create them to use for myself. Why would I want someone using my tricks with my presentation. It doesn't work for someone else. It works for me. Maybe it's a bit selfish, and maybe it's a bit hypocritical since I buy other effects on the market to use, but the point is that I would never publish something I create simply for the sake of seeing it in print.

Remember, why does anyone publish anything? They want your money.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York

Lol, no but seriously.
I think we should just let them do what they want. Honestly, whose going to buy their "effects" other than their parents?
Too many young magicians think that magic is a get rich quick scheme. Haven't they ever heard of creating magic for self gain?

I love creating new effects, not to sell, but to be original.

It's sets me aside from every 'poser' out there that just purchases tricks with their parents credit card and learns strictly published effects. There's nothing wrong with learning published tricks, but I feel if you know the basics, then there's nothing stopping you from creating your own material. Even if it has already been done, create a different handling for it that fits you and your style.

Sorry to go on a little rant there. That just needed to be said.

Amen.

[word count]

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results