Have you seen this man?

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
In a lot of Derren Brown's magic shows; he goes to the USA saying that he is 'making use of his anonymity'. More than half of the people on Theory11 are American I would guess, and most people seem to be very well informed on who Derren Brown is. Maybe this is because of sites such as this and youtube etc, but I would just like to know how many people, of any nationality, know who Derren Brown is.
No, you are correct: this thread has little point.

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
Yeah I suppose you are right there actually. I imagine that the General Public would know him a lot less. I just have to say: brilliant quote.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Don't forget - Derren Brown is well known in just about any magic circle (Yes from me); but in terms of anonymity, I would venture a guess that the same cannot be said of average laymen.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
His work is not very well known in the US among laymen. As magicians, we ALL know who he is, but in the US most people don't have a clue. Yes, there are a lot who do, but the greater percentage I would bet wouldn't have a clue who he was if he picked them out of a crowd, unlike in the UK where he is far more of a celebrity of sorts. I have tried to talk about him in many of my magic routines to specs and i have never seen one of my spectators who has heard of him.

Feb 28, 2008
I don't know about the States, but here in Canada, laymen don't really know anyone other than the big magicians - Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Angel - and I doubt a lot of lay people know Garcia or Houchin... so I'm guessing that Brown would be in the same boat that people outside of magic circles don't know who he is.

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
"How could you not know who Derren Brown is, he is one of the best in magic/nlp/hypnotism." Michael Nasello
Well said, and yet so few people even seem to know him, even in the UK.

Sep 1, 2007
If you look at it's ratings though. It didn't do very well unfortunately. The SciFi Channel is not a very mainstream channel. If you ask a hundred people, one person may have heard of him.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
Yeah, I know him. I have seen him and spoken to him in real life. He's a great mentalist, I truly admire his work. I think it'd be difficult to find someone on here that doesn't know him. :)

In the UK, he's very popular. As far as I'm aware.

-Sam H

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results