Help - Bored with My Tricks

Aug 16, 2010
Ive been doing magic for about a year and a half now and Ive learned a lot of tricks and done a few parties and things like that but frankly im gettin bored with my tricks and i want something devastating and hard hitting

Aug 13, 2010
try NuSense

Ive been doing magic for about a year and a half now and Ive learned a lot of tricks and done a few parties and things like that but frankly im gettin bored with my tricks and i want something devastating and hard hitting

I recently picked this trick up. I got it first when it came out, i was a beta tester for lee asher but once i got it i mistakenly let it collect dust on my shelf. I found it the other day and ran though it and i just cant stop. Its improptu, halorious & hits u with a sucker punch ending. Its got everything that should be in a one man show. Beleive me, this practually booked my 1st gig all by its self. NuSense by Alan Nu. I got my at lee asher.com.
have fun.

I don't know what you currently have but I'm willing to bet there is something both devastating and hard hitting in what you currently do. Get your head outside the box. Look at things differently, re-work, re-write, re-dream. I'm sure you've got gems you never even knew you had!

Jan 16, 2008
I don't know what you currently have but I'm willing to bet there is something both devastating and hard hitting in what you currently do. Get your head outside the box. Look at things differently, re-work, re-write, re-dream. I'm sure you've got gems you never even knew you had!

I agree wholeheartedly with Draven. Take the time to step outside the box, and look at your tricks that you already know. Look how Wayne dressed up the Two Card Transpo into...French Kiss. You'll be amazed by how hard-hitting your 'regular' tricks can be when dressed up and presented properly.
Good luck.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Draven brought up a great point. Look at what you do already and "how" you are presenting / dressing it up. I've been performing some of my same effects for 10 years and change the way I present them all of the time to make them stronger or more enjoyable. Also...If you have not gotten into any type of mentalism effects, you may want to check out Max Maven's PRISM book. I have found quite a few gems in there that are destroying people mentally.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
What makes a magic trick strong?

Is it the trick? It can't be. You know that people can perform tricks well, and they can perform them badly. So tricks aren't inherently strong. What then makes a trick strong?

When a person performs a strong trick, why is it strong?

I'll give you a clue - it has very little to do with a trick. I realise that this advice, although I post it reasonably often, sometimes may come across as unhelpful. That's not the intention.

But here's an idea. Look for them yourself, find the ones that work for yourself, and make them "hard hitting"! In all honestly, looking for the shortcut by asking for "best of" effects isn't gonna do you any favours, and 95% of the time will not get you the most hard-hitting effects you can perform. That's right, asking for good tricks will actually, the majority of the time, get you tricks that, when performed by you, will be second rate and common. So you'll be performing the same old stuff and probably not as well as you could be.

Rather than ask "Where can I find the best effect", ask "Where can I find effects (possibly of x plot or from x magician)", go out, look through everything, and find what works for you. You want average material, ask for "the best" effects. And if you're satisfied with decent, go ahead. Some people are happy with being decent, and that's fine. But if you want to be better than that, with the best material and the highest possible impact? You'll have to work harder than that.

The main reason for this is that the strongest effect in my arsenal, in all honestly, would probably not work at all for you. This is due to many reasons - personality, presentation, and just the effect in general. So why would I give that to you? Why would I a) give out something that will probably be inferior for you and b) give out what I've been working on for two years plus? Many, many people for example list Stigmata as their strongest effect, and many people buy it. You wanna know the truth, 95% of people's presentation of Stigmata is ****. Stigmata could be so, so much more. but no, they rely on the effect, rather than relying on themselves as a performer, and this separates the chaff from the wheat. I read a thread just yesterday of a Stigmata performance which was terrible!

If you really want strong effects, you need to tell us what you're interested in, specifically, a plot or an author. Then you need to go look at everything by that author or on that plot, and decide what works for you, use that knowledge to mix the effects together, and base a presentation on what appeals to you, not what appeals to us. My favourite effect happens to be Zamiel's Rose, and yet I barely know anyone who has the personality to pull it off, so I never suggest it, it would be a travesty, the epitome of ruining magic. I mean what do you want me to say - follow your instructions exactly, and give you an effect that won't suit you and you won't be able to make the most of? I'd rather say this, the truth.

See, ultimately, if you're told that in this book, there are three tricks that are good, then you'll (hopefully) buy the book, and go straight for those three tricks. In doing so, you are undermining your own search because you are going by what other people's standards! Instead, if you open a magic book, with absolutely no recommendations, then you are forced to evaluate, for yourself, each and every entry in that book.

This is not to say we (or I) don't want to help. This is to say, rather, that it should be the right help, if you really want the best magic.

Take for example Deezy's post, recommending Pressure. You decide to look into Pressure.

What you've done is said, "This works for Deezy. Therefore I'm going to check it out."

Are you Deezy? If not, why do you expect this to be an effective way of looking for tricks?

Go buy a book or something, that's where the good stuff is.

Copied response. Craig has a good post in one of the other threads as well about this. And Draven makes a good point.

When I was working restaurants regularly, I found that I'd get bored with my material every now and again. Granted, I was always trying something new with the old stuff, trying to improve the old stuff, etc. Still do it to this day... but bored at the same time.

So what I started to do was learn a new trick, and try it out several times a night while I was still learning it. Talk about nervousness and fun at the same time. Remembering the sleights, patter, etc. Most of the time it went over well... sometimes I bombed it. Luckily, it was only my regulars that ever saw stuff like that. So not a major deal. But fun nonetheless.

Also, making up magic on the spot. One coin routines, Ambitious card stuff, etc. A lot of possibilities with the egg bag, chop cup, coins across, etc.

Just some food for though is all.
Steve

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Sex. money. having a life. being able to pay bills. Not developing OCD with it. having a Social life.

Want me to continue?

So you're saying all magicians who enjoy doing magic...

don't have sex
don't make any money
don't have a life
can't pay bills
don't have a social life?

Quite a very rude and disrespectful remark regarding EVERYONE in magic.

You need a lot of growing up to do, and take a course on being respectful, that should do you some good.

-Casey

Sex. money. having a life. being able to pay bills. Not developing OCD with it. having a Social life.

Want me to continue?

Exactly! I took a long hiatus from magic, and it was the best thing I've ever done. I quit my restaurants, slowed waaaay down on the private events, and just enjoyed not touching cards, coins, traveling, performing, etc. I'm still taking a break, but am slowly getting back into magic again. Slowly.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Nope. I said there are better things THAN magic and always will be. I think you need to log off and go find something else to do if your going to take what I said the wrong way.

The kid said he was bored with his stuff. I suggested he take a vacation away from it. So he could recharge his batteries.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
Some people use magic to get money and sex
For some people that is their life
some people have a social life because of magic
some people use it too pay bills

should i continue?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results