Hey everyone... I'm new!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2009
we arent going to be revealing anything here for you for free. if thats what youre looking for, youre in the wrong place.

otherwise, welcome to theory 11, prepare to be flamed for your username. and always remember,

mystifyer1.gif

I never said I was. Why am I being flamed? Who even is that person.

Sep 1, 2007
Thats mean to call people trying to help beginners like me circle jerkers. And why can't I become a magician from them. They teach the secrets.

I could tell you right now how to tune a guitar to Drop D. That doesn't make you a guitarist. That doesn't mean you can immediately start playing songs by System of a Down or The Smiths.

Knowing how to do something and mastering a skill set are two entirely different things.

Mar 21, 2009
YouTube tutorials are to learning magic what a Swiss army knife is to practicing open-heart surgery.

I can guarantee you right now that you show me any YouTube tutorial webcam jockey, and not only could I teach the material better than him, I could perform it better than him. I'm not saying that to be pompous, I'm stating it as a fact. There's a reason I get paid to perform and they don't.

Then why don't you make a tutorial. I really want one for pressure if you got it.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
I could tell you right now how to tune a guitar to Drop D. That doesn't make you a guitarist. That doesn't mean you can immediately start playing songs by System of a Down or The Smiths.

Knowing how to do something and mastering a skill set are two entirely different things.
Right, the secret of the trick is nothing, the magic comes from the performance.

Mar 21, 2009

Can you help teach me the other side then?

Oct 22, 2008
i agree with most people on the forums here, no offense but you do seem alot like those people who reveal copyrighted stuff on youtube. But if not welcome to theory11.

-Jake

Sep 1, 2007
Then why don't you make a tutorial. I really want one for pressure if you got it.

Because first of all it is not my place to teach other people's material.

Second, I'm releasing a book with my own original material next month.

Third, if you want to get free stuff from the magic community, you have to pay your dues and take your lumps first. I've spent the last several years honing my craft and only just now am I being allowed in to the more advanced leagues. I had to work for it, but I wanted it enough to go through with all of that.

You only just started. I don't know you from Adam. I have no reason to give you free anything aside from some free advice based on my own hard-earned experience.

Mar 21, 2009
i agree with most people on the forums here, no offense but you do seem alot like those people who reveal copyrighted stuff on youtube. But if not welcome to theory11.

-Jake

How am I not supposed to take offense to take. I started magic a week ago, came on here to try and get better, and I'm getting "flamed".

Sep 1, 2007
Can you help teach me the other side then?

I can give you the tools you need to be a performer, yes. But you need to actually use what I tell you. And as a warning, I am brutally honest when giving advice. I don't like to mince my words because it wastes everyone's time and usually insults the other person's intelligence.

So if you want advice, I have to know that you're going to listen and genuinely consider what I have to say.

Mar 21, 2009
Because first of all it is not my place to teach other people's material.

Second, I'm releasing a book with my own original material next month.

Third, if you want to get free stuff from the magic community, you have to pay your dues and take your lumps first. I've spent the last several years honing my craft and only just now am I being allowed in to the more advanced leagues. I had to work for it, but I wanted it enough to go through with all of that.

You only just started. I don't know you from Adam. I have no reason to give you free anything aside from some free advice based on my own hard-earned experience.

I would love advice then and thanks for telling me that tutorials aren't viewed very well by magicians.

Mar 21, 2009
I can give you the tools you need to be a performer, yes. But you need to actually use what I tell you. And as a warning, I am brutally honest when giving advice. I don't like to mince my words because it wastes everyone's time and usually insults the other person's intelligence.

So if you want advice, I have to know that you're going to listen and genuinely consider what I have to say.

Good deal. I will listen.

Sep 2, 2007

-Jake

Magic isn't copyrighted. the medium that it's taught on is (The text/DVD/Video tape)

also, welcome to the T11 community. Getting amgic for free isn;t getting magic, it's learning how to do it. the performance is the key. look up derren brown on youtube. he has AMAZING presentation, it doesn't matter how it's done. he's so natural and confident. Presentation is 70-90% of the effect.

P.S.: Steerpike, do you mind if I use 'YouTube tutorials are to learning magic what a Swiss army knife is to practicing open-heart surgery.' in my sig?

Dec 30, 2008
I don't know how to feel about this right now... hmmm.... Also if you really want to learn the tricks... buy them. The people at learn magic tricks can't teach you how to do the effect like the artist who created it can.

Mar 21, 2009
Magic isn't copyrighted. the medium that it's taught on is (The text/DVD/Video tape)

also, welcome to the T11 community. Getting amgic for free isn;t getting magic, it's learning how to do it. the performance is the key. look up derren brown on youtube. he has AMAZING presentation, it doesn't matter how it's done. he's so natural and confident.

P.S.: Steerpike, do you mind if I use 'YouTube tutorials are to learning magic what a Swiss army knife is to practicing open-heart surgery.' in my sig?

Thanks for the welcoming. I haven't heard of Derren Brown, does he have a TV show like Criss Angel?

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento

woah slow down there buddy. Welcome to the forums, hopefully you get something out of it... If you picked up magic a week ago, then I suggest you find a local magic shop and go talk to the guy there. Buy some books on magic, get bored, and give up, or stick with it.

If you want to be just like chris angel, then I suggest you get a lot of money because camera tricks are EXPENSIVE! People 'round these parts don't really respect the type of magic chris angel does because of that- not that he's not a good performer. Any who, getting tricks for free off the internet is also a no-no. asking steerpike to make a tutorial for a trick that just came out on this website last night isn't a good plan. Buy your tricks. Be ethical. Also, backspace and go read the forum rules. No exposure of methods and all that jazz. It is a very amateur move to ask people here to reveal tricks to you, so don't ask. If you want to learn, take the time and the effort. It's not easy, and it takes experience.

good luck
kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results