Hey everyone... I'm new!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2009
Criss, not as a generalization but as a warning

Listen VERY carefully

DON'T BUY EVERYTHING THAT LOOKS REALLY REALLY COOL WHEN YOU FIRST START OUT, DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT ...DON'T DO IT.

Now that's out of the way, please don't buy everything you see and spend tons of money on things you'll never use.

You're going to get hooked on tricks and learning because it's fun and awesome, but do not fall into the trap that probably everyone did, I'm saving you money and telling you not to do it, buy books or DVD's that teach basics, and work on those basics, Coin basics, Card Basics, maybe some impromptu basics.

Bobo's coin magic etc etc...

~Beans
Don't do it.

Okay, I will try not to do that. So you are basically saying don't buy new things until you are good at the other things you have already bought and learn the basics. Is that right?

Sep 1, 2007
Okay, I will try not to do that. So you are basically saying don't buy new things until you are good at the other things you have already bought and learn the basics. Is that right?

That's the gist of it. We're all guilty at some point of buying more than we can handle. I've done it more than I care to admit.

My personal recommendation is to invest in a copy of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. 20 bucks and the number of effects within number in triple digits. Cards, coins, mental magic, parlor tricks, rope, stage illusions, impromptu, gimmicks... You'll be set on material for a long time.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
That's the gist of it. We're all guilty at some point of buying more than we can handle. I've done it more than I care to admit.

My personal recommendation is to invest in a copy of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. 20 bucks and the number of effects within number in triple digits. Cards, coins, mental magic, parlor tricks, rope, stage illusions, impromptu, gimmicks... You'll be set on material for a long time.

I second that.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Take your time, it's a tough question. There's no irony in my voice as I say that. It took me a while to answer that question, and to be honest I know there's more to it than I have thus far been able to figure out.
I was talking short term goal in simple terms but your correct. I rephrased.

Mar 21, 2009

It looks like I will be picking up Royal Road and Mark Wilson's Book then.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
I could answer that very vaguely when I first started, I still can't answer the question completely, it's just a passion.
~Beans
Every action you do has a reason. I was talking basics here not some artsy fartsy complicated journey of an answer. He answered it well. He wants to do what CA does because he was amazed by him. Thats pure honesty.

Sep 1, 2007
Every action you do has a reason. I was talking basics here not some artsy fartsy complicated journey of an answer. He answered it well. He wants to do what CA does because he was amazed by him. Thats pure honesty.

artsy fartsy? As in well thought out and analyzed?

Maybe he wants to create the amazement for other people what CA created for him. Which is a more thought out and a little more analyzed...and overall better answer.

Excuse me, I mean artsy fartsy.

~Beans

Nov 23, 2007
NC
artsy fartsy? As in well thought out and analyzed?
No. Meaning very basic.
Maybe he wants to create the amazement for other people what CA created for him. Which is a more thought out and a little more analyzed...and overall better answer.
Which is the exact same answer he gave. Is there a parrot in the room?
Excuse me, I mean artsy fartsy.
Don't get your panties in a wad. I was just wanting to know a basic motivation for him getting started, it wasnt directed at you.

~Beans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results