How can I gain confidence to perform to the public

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
While those books are great, they don't really give the person any experience on the subjects. Which is why I would suggest taking Public speaking classes or attending a Roast Masters seminar. These would boost his self confidence a lot more than those two books and give him the experience that will most likely help his magic and also make approaching a small group of a people a lot easier.

I agree with that as well, Randy. Reading at least one of those books and at the same time taking a class will help implement the concepts in the book. Although, in the "How to Make Friends" one there are clear examples of how to behave in various situations. But overall, yes I agree any class that will put you in front of people will help greatly.

Also...get off video games. Just like too much social media it stunts your social growth and your ability to connect with people. As it is has been said many times here and other forums...magic isn't how good your sleights are but about how you connect with people in general. If they like you, they like your magic. If they don't like you, then your magic will be just blah to them.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
My personal battle with fear:

I knew terror. I couldn't even perform for my own practice videos without wearing sunglasses. I wore them to run things by close friends and family. I would take off my prescription glasses while performing for the club so that I wouldn't be able to see their faces. I gave only a handful performances over an embarrassing span of time. Each performance was awkward. I was scared. I was very scared.

The local club has been a huge help. Through them I wound up running lights and sound for two local shows. This gave me a direct view into what it takes to put on a show.

I also twist balloons at the same shows when time allows. THAT is a great experience. Botching means flying balloon parts and laughing kids.

Most importantly, I started taking theater classes. I am learning how to perform for people. I am learning to put myself on a stage.

I do admire the following very much.
You know what, instead of reading books, booking classes just to talk to people which costs money, I'm just going to go out show a trick and hopefully amaze people and the best bit is its free and doesn't waste time
I admire this author's courage but want to point out that by her own admission, "just going to go out [to] show a trick" might very well mean just showing a trick.

You asked about performing. I assume that some part of your mind is wanting the crowd amazed by more than a well hidden move or two.

Theater has its benefits. You need to get in front of your audience. You have already locked yourself in. You also have a new group of supporters. They are counting on you, and you on them. You will all want each other to be on that stage and do well together.

It starts to feel natural to have a crowd focused on you. It starts to feel natural to entertain them. You see that stage often enough and it starts to look like your car's RPM gauge.

The tech will also shine very bright lights on your face so that you can't see the audience. What you see can't hurt you. It's true. Theater is a very safe place to learn performing if for no other reason.

Also, classes will have you doing more than "talking to people." Back to my experience: I have learned about body language, projecting my voice, and other small details. This is great. Getting those details right helps in two ways: I have much less unknown to fear. I am focused on those details instead of fear.

I do sometimes perform a little magic. These "sometimes" are a little more common and a lot more effective.

So, here are condensed thoughts:
  • If you want to learn how to perform than study performing. Add magic back to performing.
  • Find at least one book about performing from a magician you respect. The target number of new tricks to learn from the book is zero.
  • Hang around other performers. All kinds of performers.
  • Classes can be amazing. You might end up growing to love a stage along with people who are just as nervous as you.
  • Knowing the fine details of performing can boost your confidence. At worst, focusing on the details can distract you from fear.
  • You will still need to make that choice to perform magic for people.
Anyway, this is one old guy's experience with fear, theater and magic. Since the case has been made against classes, I wanted to offer a real life experience where they helped. It will still be up to you to make the commitment.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
There is a guy who knows his style pretty well on YouTube and he gives a lot of great tips on how to dress to impress. But, he also did a quick video on Confidence which I just ran into (and I laughed because he states in the beginning it isn't about how you dress). I figured you would like to take the eight minutes to watch the clip because he goes into some great ways to gain confidence.

[video=youtube;7RtgkXBro70]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RtgkXBro70&list=PLF7C4F4DE0A3FCA30&index=1&feature=plpp_video[/video]

Jan 22, 2012
Well what helps me is that I have a close friend with me with I perform that hangs around me and when I ask someone to see something cool my friend comes up to see what's going on and that helps me feel less nervous because I'm also performing to someone that I know. Also if you are performing on the street I would suggest that you should have your friends with you and just showing your friends tricks as if they were strangers on the streets and then your little crowd of friends with create a bigger crowd of people because they'll want to see what's going on. Trust me if all you're worried about is performing to strangers then at least have someone you know be there with you

May 17, 2016
Confidence is very important factor in every field, because less confidence never shows your capabilities in front of other. If you are facing this any confidence related issue, then tries hypnosis and gain confidence in minimum time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results