How deep does magic go and where it is today?

When I was younger and performing magic I thought the only thing magic was- was keeping the secret and practice. Through out the 13 years of practicing and performing magic I've learned that it is an extremely deep art. I mean there is so much to it.
The method, the sleights, the gimmicks, the props, practice, practice, Misdirection, performance, patter, personality, creating a character, crowd control, angles, science. The 10 theories of magic. The beautiful history of magic, and how it has evolved through out the years. What magic is today? Endurance stunts.

The psychological part of magic goes the deepest.
What goes on in the minds of our spectators?
What is the message we are sending to people with magic?
What magic does to our minds as magicians?
Why do we keep doing magic?
Ask your self these questions

If you look through out the history of magic, it has been used to start religions. The Greeks did this. Jesus performed miracles; he didn’t use sleight of hand though. It was all real, the work of God, but for some reason we still call him a magician. People actually thought that Houdini could materialize. If you think about it magic is in every culture some way or another. Magic is something more powerful than I think we can imagine.

If you take this bit of information and think about how visual and realistic magic looks today, we realize what a powerful thing magic is. Magic is something that can pull at the emotions of people. If you look at how our generations of magicians perform, it’s amazing. Just normal people doing miracles. Instead of people going to see a magician, we go out to the people. No more stages and props that belong to the magician. We are in a natural setting (streets, school, ect.) we use borrowed and what people think is borrowed items, and objects lying around. If we start healing people, the world is going to think it’s the second coming of Jesus ha ha ha I'm kidding of course.

Look what we can do to people on the street. I can get a few people who don’t know each other (strangers), and bring them together to show them magic. They start to react together and talk to each other. If I would not have asked them if they wanted to see something, they would have never even looked at each other. When we do magic, and people are reacting to it, the walls they build up are being shattered. What happens when you shatter the walls with two or more people who are complete strangers? It creates a connection with them that they could never feel or get other wise. The emotions they are feeling are wonder and amazement. When you are a baby you are amazed and wonder about everything. Magic is so strong that it can knock people back that far! I believe this is why people react the way they do to magic. They are feeling the emotions they felt when they First came into this world as babies, which is something people forget.

Magic is damn Powerful, amazing and i would say real.

Last edited by a moderator:

EJ

Mar 4, 2008
Canada
Wow. This was beautifully written and well thought out. I totally agree with the idea that people build "barriers" as they grow older. It's amazing how magic can strip away their defenses and allow people to re-experience that childlike wonder.

Jan 14, 2008
philippines
another thing magic almost killed the catholic religion back then when peter has taken over and preached the word of got a magician named simon magas came and did all sorts of stuff from slieghts of hand even levitation....

just my two cents...

neco

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
You bring up some good points, and I haven't much time to respond to every one. I'm going to ignore the religious points for a moment and just focus on the nature of magic.

The construction, history and performance of magic is an inherently beautiful thing. A card change, a levitation, a production, are all wondrous things. That said, I just wanted to put something out there: that certain effects are far more geared towards this type of beauty than others. Think of say, a gambling routine. The individual elements of this routine, the magic, is beautiful. The effect, overall, however, is far less likely to be inherently and deeply emotional and moving, than say, Lady Bug, or Zamiel's Rose. Lady Bug, involving the very creation of life, and Zamiel's Rose, epitomising the recollection of love, one of the most powerful emotive experiences in existence.

There's a lot more to explore about your post, but that's all I'll write, at least for now.

Thank you, im glad you guys can understand what im talking about. Believe me, I have meet magicians who are oblivous to this understanding.

Let me talk about one of the questions i asked in my original post, and that is...
What is the message we are sending people with our magic?

I believe with out even realizing it, we are sending a message to every single person we show magic to. The message we are sending is the reason why people react the amazing way that they do. When someone see's something that they know is impossible...done in front of there eye's- once again it knocks them back to that child like wonder. Children have a gift of believing that anything is possible, this is something that every single child/person is born with- And something Truly Amazing if you think about it.

Any way, the message we are sending to people- since magic can send people back to that child like wonder, children believe anything is possible. We are telling people that anything they can imagine is real, anything and everything is possible, People react the way they do because they are seeing what they have always wanted to see! They are seeing the impossible done which brings into view all their current and failed aspirations and says YES, there is No limit.

This is why I keep doing magic, knowing I can show people something this amazing is Beautiful. We magicians are more important to the world than we might think

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Great post. I think magic is being taken for granted far too often these days, especially amongst those actually performing it which is the sad thing... It's all to often this "Look at this cool thing I can do that you have no idea how I do but it fooled you and thats magic...lol".

As Matthew said, magic is damn powerful and I think it's underestimated to the point of it just being something cool to do that other people perhaps can't.

Ask yourselves his questions, you can only benefit. Great post again, Matthew... though I fear this will fall upon deaf ears.

- Sean

Combo idea: Take one effect you love doing and really sit down and thing about the magic that's happening and I'm not talking about the method, I'm talking about the magic. I mean really sit down and think about it.

Thank you Sean. And I'm going to try your combo idea, that's really smart.

And you are right, what i have said will fall apon deaf ears, But this realization of what magic really is- is something that not every magician may realize or learn to understand; I believe only a select few

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results