How do you learn tricks from books?

What's up guys and maybe a few girls. I was just wondering what you guys feel the best way to learn an effect from a book? I stumbled into about 50 books because my mom's friend turned into a professional magician so he already learned what he wanted to learn from said books. I have had the books for about 4-5 months now. The sad part is I just can't get my head over that I am reading a book to learn magic. No visuals unless they are 2-D pictures. I was thinking to make my own how-to videos. Anyway I'm trying to be a street magician and i want to learn all i can. thanks for the help in advance.

Sep 2, 2007
I read the steps over and over again till I get it then I move on ;).
That's basically what I do.

For me, learning magic from books is the same as following instructions to put parts of a toy together. I read each step, until I fully comprehend it. Afterwhich, I follow the steps, one at a time, and do so in front of a mirror.

I consider myself a more visual learner, and therefore it's conducive for me to see myself practicing the directions in a mirror. If it says "turn over the card," the way I remember it is by seeing myself turn over the card in the mirror.

Then, after I have performed the entire trick once, all I need to do is practice, practice, practice, and repeat, repeat, repeat.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
JTM

That's basically what I do.

For me, learning magic from books is the same as following instructions to put parts of a toy together. I read each step, until I fully comprehend it. Afterwhich, I follow the steps, one at a time, and do so in front of a mirror.

I consider myself a more visual learner, and therefore it's conducive for me to see myself practicing the directions in a mirror. If it says "turn over the card," the way I remember it is by seeing myself turn over the card in the mirror.

Then, after I have performed the entire trick once, all I need to do is practice, practice, practice, and repeat, repeat, repeat.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
JTM

I am a visual learner too. I never thought of doing the trick in the mirror to learn it.

Sep 10, 2007
Sacramento, CA
If it says to move a finger one way. Stop and move your finger. If the next line says, in a vague sort of way, Hold the packet there. Stop and figure out what would make the most sense. Thats the cool thing about books where the tricks are harder to learn, it almost forces you to make your own moves to reach the desired effect. It makes the trick your creation in a way.

Step 1: Open book
Step 2: Read book
Step 3: Obtain cake

Reading a book is exactly like studying, except you will apply what you learned immediately. I find the best way to learn is to write down what is in the book in your own words onto another paper. Once that is complete, follow step by step the instructions.

Mitchell

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
It's not a hard thing to do. Just follow the instructions from the book to the letter. Then, once you get the effect down, you can modify it to fit your performance needs.

Oct 21, 2007
If you have a hard time following a book while reading it, I will guess that you get side tracked easily. It's not really bad, a lot of people in the world have that problem. If it's easier for you to learn from sight, then it's obvious you get side tracked from books. If I am right, all you have to do to over-come this is read it over a bunch of times.

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
What books do u have? Maybe some of us can point you t good ones, and it is sad that so many magicians now adays dont value learning from books. Just get a what ever props needed, read it, read it again. Then start to read through with the prop, and a mirror. Then after u think u have it, record a video of it. not fo youtube, or t11 media section. Just a video, so u can concentrate on the effect and then see what it looks like, where u flashed and etc.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
REad it over and over pay a lot of attention and maybe look up the sleight or trick in youtube so that you'll see how it looks like in action, but it's ok I have the same problem, I can't learn a pass from this one book that I have

same.. I can't get heads or tail over something that are talked about in the books.. but if you are having the same problem as me.. then just stop, take a deep breath focus and read the words one by one..

I know it might sound iffy, but my problem is I tend to scan through instead of reading it properly.

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
The biggest thing with books is visualisation.

Try and get a picture of how the effects looks, from a spectator's p.o.v.

Then, look at it from your p.o.v.

THEN, start learning the effect, STEP-BY-STEP, and then visualise it with the workings.

Comprende?

Ty

Aug 31, 2007
Haha, I always (and probably will always) think that "I am a visual learner, books don't fit me" was pretty much excuses for the younger generation of magicians as they learn more from DVDs... Hey, don't bash me, I am 17 years old myself and I would prefer to learn from a DVD over a book. But that doesn't mean I am a "visual learner" and "can't learn from a book".

Anyway, my way to learn from a book is to read it carefully, and not scan through it. Re-read the parts you don't understand a few times and slowly work things out. If something doesn't work, you know you have misread it and should go back and read it again. Most of all, if you finally make sense of something you previously do not understand, please remember it so that if the same or similar instructions come up again somewhere else, you know what to do.

sourboarder: You're trying to be a "street magician", huh? Do you mean "busking"? There's a theory that street magic doesn't exist as a form of magic... think about it. Anyway, sourboarder, don't give excuses to yourself by saying you can only learn magic through visuals. It not only limits the amount of sources you can learn from, it also... erm.. sounds like a bad excuse to me.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results