How do you promote yourself?

Jan 22, 2012
Hello you guys,

I've been doing lots of little shows here and there for my school and some of my family friend's parties and now I think it's time to get out of that and starting to expand. I feel I now have a pretty solid 20-30 minute show that I can do and I think it's time to start advertising myself. Here is what I've been doing so far and I was wondering if I am on the right track and if there is other ways to promote myself.

Facebook: I've created a Facebook page which is sort of my "website" for now before I finish my actual website that I've made up. I've done this so at least there is a way to contact me because my email and number is on there.

Flyers: I have created two different flyers. I've made a pull-tab one that I can put up on various bulletin boards at local shops and then I've created a standard flyer that I'll put in people's mailboxes in my neighborhood.

Business cards: I made up my own business cards that resemble playing cards and I hand them out to people that are interested in my magic after I've done a show or a party.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Sep 5, 2008
UK
You must have routines in your arsenal that you can adjust. What i mean is go and advertise yourself. Do your staff for free and quick. Try and put your staff in everyday routine. In a queue in super market or patrol station. Simple color change to your business card can work miracles.

Feb 11, 2013
Ljubljana, Slovenija
Hi,

just a few of the things that I've learned about promotion and have served me very well...

First of all, the key is to focus not on your product, but on the needs of your customers. If we take for example a restaurant or a bar (these are the venues where I perform the most). You are not trying to sell your magic to the owner; you are trying to sell him the idea of excited customers and repeat business. I suggest that you do not try to sell "magic"; try selling "promotion" i.e. if you are here to entertain, people will be coming back, you promote the business. In my opinion, that is the best way to be succesful.

Next thing that is invaluable; letters of refference. After every single show, ask the person who hired you to write, if they are pleased with your work of course, a letter of refference.

Lastly, put together a promotion package. Business card, letters of refference or a page of rave reviews from previous clients, a color photo (appearances matter, especially in show business; think about what you want your photo to express). And get all this stuff professionally printed. If you can't afford it at the time, wait, save up some money to get the things done properly. Otherwise, you'll just be throwing your money away. If you want to start a business, invest in yourself.

Hope this helps, and I wish you best of luck.

D.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Dado has given you some sound in-put.

I have a couple of questions to ask (which you also need to ask yourself), starting with the sort of target market you think your show would be appropriate for? There's no such thing as a "generic" show package, so who is your target; kids, families, business groups?

You have to know your target market so you can tailor all your brochures, etc. so as to appeal to that element. This is especially true when it comes to reaching out to the area business world but parents want to know how you are going to deliver that hour or so of fun for their kids & their friends when the Birthday or Bar Mitzfa, etc. happens. Too, with a kid's package you have to offer more than the magic show, you're in charge of the entertainment as a whole (in most cases) so you need to come with fun & games for all the kiddies. This adds value to your service and that's how you need to see it; you're not a "Magician" or Clown or Balloon artist, you're a service provider & coordinator that can give the parents everything they're looking for, on a budget.

I'm not trying to blow-up your dreams by throwing road-blocks at you, but I am trying to help you better define what it is you have to offer and to whom. This helps you increase your value in the consumer mind and it likewise makes you seem more focused and professional.

I'd strongly encourage you to get up some form of basic web site sooner than later and not use the Facebook route. . . for starters, FB is getting desperate when it comes to giving investors cash so they are starting to nickle & dime everyone including IM and eMail connections (or so I've recently heard complaints on). Yahoo is very affordable and you can make a simple web site for cheap, using their templates and to be honest, that's all you actually need. The majority of the guys out there that work steadily use little more that this because these basic templates load easier and faster than those with tons of flash and JUNK enveloping them. . . the sort of filler that turns talent buyers off really fast; they don't have the time to waste with all that ego stuff, they want to see who you are, what you do and if you have what it takes to deliver what they need.

I think my web site costs less than $20.00 a month and it serves me just fine (craigthepsychic.com). The personal web site today is akin to the press kits of yesterday but a heck of a lot more affordable. . . my old press kits cost about $20.00 each + postage and you had to send them out in bulk. . . at least 12 a week if you hoped to make things happen. The point is, you can now give clients video, and all the press materials they need for pennies, reaching far more contacts in the process.

You might want to take a course or two in Small Business management & marketing practices. Most community colleges offer them quarterly for relatively little money and too, the local Small Business Administration, Association of Retired Professionals and even your local Chamber of Commerce frequently offer one day seminars dedicated to helping you grow you business. Participate in as many of these things as you can so you can both, learn and network.

Networking is the real key, find the money and join local groups like the Jaycee's, a local country club (golf is where more business deals get done than any office) or even participating in major fundraising events such as the MS Runs or Muscular Dystrophy promotions each Labor Day. . . be visible is the key.

One other important thing to remember is that there is a huge difference between Promotions/Marketing and Advertising. With the former, you are establishing both, image and contact. With the latter, you are merely saying BUY ME.

Best of luck!

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Arman, have you seen the private message that I sent to you on YouTube a few days ago? I feel that your presentation and stage presence needs a lot of improvement before you can go out and start charging for your shows.

Jan 22, 2012
Arman, have you seen the private message that I sent to you on YouTube a few days ago? I feel that your presentation and stage presence needs a lot of improvement before you can go out and start charging for your shows.

The show that you watched was not a good show. I'll admit it. It was bad but that was only because I was originally doing it with a friend and we had a whole routine made-up but then he couldn't go so I had to think of a whole new routine in three days so my presentation was doomed to begin with.

Sep 1, 2007
To build on what Dado and Craig are saying remember the golden rule of marketing: when you try to please everyone, you please no one. I currently have two markets I'm targeting and my services and marketing materials are all tailored to match them. I'll probably branch out in time, but that's not something to worry about for at least another 6 months.

I also highly recommend you all watch this video. WARNING: the language in that video is extremely NSFW. If you know anything about David Mamet's writing style, you know exactly what I'm talking about. In fact, those of you familiar with David Mamet may be able to guess right now what scene I'm linking you to.

That is Alec Baldwin's scene in Glengarry Glen Ross. He is a star salesman in a real estate firm and he delivers a brutal, punishing, downright psychotic lecture to three of the firm's lowest ranking agents explaining to them that they have one last chance to close their leads or they're fired. He sounds like a boss from hell... and he's totally right. "Nice guy? I don't care... You want to work here? Close."

Truth is, as performers we make a living on our personalities. But the people pulling the purse strings don't care. Sure, the audience cares if you're charismatic, affable, entertaining. But the guy whose job is to sign that contract for the event doesn't care. The only thing he cares about is what you have to offer that will help his business and make him look good. If you can't do that, you're going hungry. He doesn't give a damn how many friends you have. He could not care less that you know every effect in Expert at the Card Table by memory. It is completely irrelevant to him that you have a Facebook page with however many Likes. The only thing he wants to know is what you're going to do for him. And if "magic" is your answer, he's going to tell you shag off.

So that in mind... what do your flyers say? What do you actually offer? How do you get them to say, "Yes, I want this guy at my venue and I want him yesterday?"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results