How I fell in love with organic magic

Jun 1, 2009
At first I tried to avoid gimmicks; they seemed too much of a hassle to always carry around "just in case I get to perform." I didn't have a lot of time to perform on the streets, so school was my only other option, and not many opportunities came up.

I got Panic by Aaron Fisher a few years back before it sold out. I never had experience with a gimmick before, so I didn't know what to expect. I thought it was some weird contraption that sneaked the deck up my sleeve or something (I was a freshman and like a few months in magic, cut me some slack here). So when I opened up the mail package and saw what the gimmick really was, I felt a little cheated. Little did I know those little guys would help me perform a miracle. So I practiced and practiced and showed my family and trusted friend who loved it and was floored. He always asked me to show other people. Even though I carried the gimmick on me at all times, "just in case" I found that it was really hard to get into with people looking at you expecting you to perform. Now I know Aaron talked about ways to get into the trick several different ways and there are countless arguments on this; but this story has a different point, so I'm staying in that direction. Anyway, I got so frustrated and felt hassled carrying this gimmick around all the time that I eventually just left it at home and pretty much forgot about it. I found different effects; and Panic, much to my shame, became buried under other DVDs and props on my magic shelf.

Now, however, my ideas on gimmicks have changed. I got Transit by Calen Morelli for Christmas with full knowledge that it used a gimmick. I figured I should start branching out of cards more and this seemed like a good opportunity. When it came in I saw the little baggie of materials and thought, "what the hell am I going to do with this?" Once I popped the DVD in, I laughed out loud at how genius the effect was. I loved the gimmick and practiced all the time, I carried it with me all the time and even brought it to a New Years party, you know, "just in case." And good thing I did. After everything died down, my girlfriend noticed my new blue rubber bands and asked "Is this for transit? Can you show me!" so sure enough I did the effect and she loved it; the gimmick worked wonders.

I also ordered dress code with some money my grandma got me for Christmas. Upon opening the package, I had pretty much the same reaction as with Transit. I popped in the DVD and, again, laughed out loud at how genius this effect is. I was a little bummed about "ruining" a shirt (if you even call it that for performing a mind blowing effect.) I made the gimmick, practiced, and showed my brother. He loved and said it was such a cool effect. After that I realized that gimmicks aren't so bad, and they really help bend the laws of reality. Hell, I'm definitely considering bringing back Panic and start performing that again, what can I lose, right? Gimmicks allow magicians to achieve what we are expected to: the impossible. They allow us to reach new heights and create things that manipulate reality and leave people in wonder. Why not have some help to create amazement?

Now for part two of my semi-epiphany: Organic magic. Usually when I tell people I do magic or a friend recommends me, I get one of a few typical responses. 1. "Show me a card trick!" 2. "Can you (insert some ridiculous scenario)" or 3. (my personal favorite) "Are you like Chris Angel?!" Now cards are perfectly fine, I have nothing against them since they are my primary medium for magic. However, I feel that with cards, most people seem to be "looking" for a move most of the time. This could just be over personal experience, since I mainly deal with high schoolers and a fairly heckling family. It seems with items other than cards or coins, people are more relaxed since they are not familiar with rubber band or money "sleights." Also, these are things people use everyday: tic tacs, gum, money, rubber bands, straws, lighters, matches, sharpies, shirts (hopefully). With the familiarity factor increased, it seems that relaxation increases as well, which will decrease suspicion, which is good for us. I do have a solid rubber band routine, and people love it and never call me out as much as with cards. Because of this, I am deciding to branch out more into organic magic.

I have Symphony, Pressure, Hypno Bill, Free Will, Sinful, Control, and Miracles for Mortals vols. 1 and 2., and am considering buying Five, all of these have amazing, non card effects that hit hard and amaze people. Now you're probably wondering why I need to branch out if I have all these effects in my possession, and if you weren't, well I'll tell you why anyway. Because, to be honest, I got them because I simply wanted to know how they were done. I can honestly say I have performed (for real people); Control (although only once; getting into it is an issue for me) Pressure (love it!), Free Will (KILLED at my talent show) Some stuff from Symphony for like two months; Stairway (1-on-1 download, do it all the time). That's basically it. Hypno Bill is on hold due to my lack of big bills, although a 20 will most likely suffice. I haven't practiced the others as much, but after this realization I had, I really want to get back in those DVDs and learn those effects, and not have hard earned money just laying there unused.

Gimmick or no gimmick? Either way I don't mind, it's all about the impossible factor, and if you need some additional help, so be it. Cards are usually associated with "moves" or "trick decks" when an audience can't figure it out. With organic magic, for example, putting a quarter into a tic tac case, the audience can't think of any explanation and are left with a really magical experience.

If you have made it this far, thank you so much for sticking with it. There is a point to all this, I promise. I took a risk by placing trust in gimmicks, and it payed off tremendously. In fact, I took a break writing this to practice dress code some more then went downstairs to show my step dad, aka, my toughest critic. I did the change (with a V neck, a great subtlety by the way.) and he loved it and we started brainstorming some ideas for it right then and there. Magic is all about finding the laws of nature, and breaking them. Yes cards and coins can bring people amazement, carbon paper and devastation are two of my favorites and floor people, but what about everything else that is out there in the world? You don't have to be the creator of the next miracle working gimmick, but just use your imagination, write down those ideas, and who knows, they could become reality one day. I definitely recommend buying at least two different gimmicked effects to see the imagination, ideas, and workings of gimmicks, and maybe you'll be inspired to create your own.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite lyrics, from Enter Galactic by Kid Cudi: "I know it's easy to imagine, but it's easier to just do. See, if you can't do what you imagine, then what is imagination to you?"

I hope you enjoyed reading this and took something away from it. My 2011 will be very fun magic wise, I can already see it. Thank you for reading and I would love your thoughts on this. Happy New Year everyone!

Jacob

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
That's awesome Jacob. For me, I strived for organic magic, so I wanted all impromptu effects (Gregory Wilson's on the spot is fantastic), and for me it was the thumb tip that changed my mind. It allowed me to do things that were beyond sleight of hand and appeared impromptu. So now my arsenal is peppered with gimmicks, for use at the right moments.
Awesome stuff.

Jun 1, 2009
Thanks Justin, I'm glad you enjoyed it. And although impromptu always sounds better ("do this on the spot, anytime, anywhere!") That's only if, after you've left your house, someone springs something on you. You can do dress code pretty much anytime, anywhere, given that you prepare yourself with it before heading out. I agree with that gimmicks can take you beyond sleight of hand, but still not give away suspicion if you present it right. Thanks for reading.

Jacob

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
I've always said that impromptu or gimmicked doesn't(never has) mattered, because the spectator shouldn't see either method. To them, the effect is the same. You tear a card and restore it. That's what they perceive. They aren't supposed to see how you do it. So have fun doing what you like.

Jun 1, 2009
Thats a good point Slade. It goes along with how difficult a sleight or effect is. In the end, the audience doesn't care how its done or how hard it is. They care about the end result, how you get there is typically irrelevant.

I'm really glad that you posted this Jacob. Lately I've been wondering whether or not to stick with cards and go ''gimmick-free.'' I always thought that gimmicks took up lots of space, and that the magician had no skill. From this small essay you wrote I now understand that it is our job to bring the illusion of impossibility and make that a reality for the spectators. In order to do that, we cannot just use SoH and must use gimmicks to bring our magic up a notch.

Thanks,

Mehar

Jun 1, 2009
I'm really glad that you posted this Jacob. Lately I've been wondering whether or not to stick with cards and go ''gimmick-free.'' I always thought that gimmicks took up lots of space, and that the magician had no skill. From this small essay you wrote I now understand that it is our job to bring the illusion of impossibility and make that a reality for the spectators. In order to do that, we cannot just use SoH and must use gimmicks to bring our magic up a notch.

Thanks,

Mehar

Thanks Mehar, I'm really glad you took something away from this. My message here isn't that we "must" use gimmicks; there are plenty of effects that use just SoH (or lack there of) to produce miracles as well. The point here is to not be afraid of gimmicks, because gimmicks still require skill to use, so it doesn't take away from the magician. Rather, it enhances them by removing sleight of hand nervousness and increasing focus on the performance aspect of it. I walked in my house and asked my mom "does this shirt look ok? Because I really like this in instead" and performed Dress Code. The look on her face was priceless. That goes to show that gimmicks allow us to achieve greater heights, and, like you said "being our magic up a notch." Do you think David Blaine could actually perform Exile on his own? Probably not.

I'm glad I could help you clear your path on what direction to take, it means a lot.

Jacob

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Great post Jacob.

I definitely agree with you on both points. Gimmicks can provide a fantastic amount of magic possible, that sleights could never do.
However, I do think that as competent magicians, we should have a good understanding of sleight of hand, and be fairly good at it. It is the bare bones of magic after all.

Organic magic is something that I've recently gotten into also. I love it because it gives an "impromptu" feeling (even if it isn't) and adds a sense of realism to what you do. No matter what card trick you do (with some very few exceptions) people in the end (after their excitement and amazement) will think that is must have been sleight of hand, even if they saw nothing. It's the only thing they can go to, since most people don't believe in real magic.
But when you do a something like Crazy Man's Handcuffs, it's something entirely new, and they're not sure what to think. People are used to seeing card tricks, but when you pull out the rubberbands, it's a new experience. People don't imagine magicians locked up in their rooms practicing sleights with rubberbands or chapstick or whatever...it just sounds weird. People think of cards, weird props, and (maybe) coins when they think of magicians.

I also think magic with "organic" props adds interest. When people see cards they think "A card trick". When they see a rubber band they think "what the heck is he gonna to with that?" It automatically draws people's interest.

This is all just me theorizing, as I don't really know exactly what spectators think about these things, but I'm pretty sure I have a good assumption. Hopefully :p

Good topic, hope to see some more replies. I could use a stimulating conversation on something useful (magic-wise).

Cheers

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
I love the message of this thread and believe it or not, it has convinced me to go look into some gimmicked effects. So thank you for that!

However, I do believe that when you are doing a gambling demonstration, spectators do care about how hard the move is... that is a different topic though.

Awesome post.

Jun 1, 2009
Scarecrow: I agree with the balance of SoH and gimmicks. After all, it does take some skill to pull of a gimmick, it can't do ALL the work for you; it just allows you to take magic beyond normal SoH. I like the addition you put of what laymen are thinking when you pull something non cards out. When I do that, they usually are like "oh, ok" or something since they don't really know what to expect.

S.G: I'm glad I was able to help you branch out your magic, you won't regret it if you buy what's right for you!
As for the gambling demo...let's leave that for a different thread lol

Jacob

Dec 6, 2010
Like this thread is talking about what are some of your favorite organic tricks I myself love fresh scent and thread both great and both are organic so what are some of your favorites?

Jun 1, 2009
Like this thread is talking about what are some of your favorite organic tricks I myself love fresh scent and thread both great and both are organic so what are some of your favorites?

I don't have five, but I do have stairway as well as symphony. I really enjoy stairway, and I'm working on void for restaurant stuff. I also really really like Dress code, as well as a rubberband routine I have; and pressure is great. That's all the organic ones I have down.
I'm working on Sinful, control, and some stuff from Miracles for Mortals.

Jacob

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results