How many people actually perform?

Do you perform for real-live people on a regular basis?

• Total voters
Sep 1, 2007
Just out of curiosity, how many people here actually go out and perform for real people on a regular basis?

Sep 2, 2007
I perform regularly -- in fact, I just got back from performing at a party. On the way home in a cab, I actually ended up doing some card tricks for the cab driver. In addition, I perform in my mind and/or my dreams. Not sure if that counts, though.

I digress... but, yes, I do perform on a regular, femtosecond basis. ;)

Cheers,
JTM

Just got back from a party about 20 minutes ago where my best reaction all night was from my own handling of coinone by Homer Liwag. The last coin travels from my hand into theirs.

I also performed a few Dan and Dave tricks and a few other standard card and coin things. I cannot wait till my next T11 order arrives, as well as my E order. I order a thumb tip and cant wait for it as well as DD.

Hmm, it bothers me that a large amount(about half I estimate) of the people who call themselves part of the "magic" community perform only in front of a video camera.
Myself, I have great difficulty performing for a camera - the main elements of magic, such as audience participation and misdirection are usually completely lost.
Plus, the camera picks up flashes and sleights that real people miss :p

Oct 30, 2007
Slovenia,Ljubljana
i do....usually i am trying new things every day like performing the two card monte BLINDFOLDED=)

well actually i do try something new. Patters and stuff and then i see which made the best reaction.

REGARDS

MALNSK

Sep 1, 2007
I have paid gigs regularly and I perform in random situations too if people want to see something.

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
Well I do perform. I basically keep a deck of cards near me, almost everywhere I go. It usually works this way, I perform some close-up magic to someone I meet. Later, ring ring, they want me to do a stand-up type venue show. Funny nobody ever calls you for close-up work, for that you need to be much more agressive.

I like the way greeney summed up todays group of "performers". My view exactly.

performing for people isd the best way to improve. When I learn a new effect and practice it I then show it to my biggest critics. my parents. If they say they know how it's done or that they caught me then I know I need to practice more. and let's face it. the people who know the most iof your tricks are your folks. performing for people is what makes you better.

Nov 6, 2007
I perform for people of course, but I mean it's not like I perform 5 times a day. I don't see myself going anywhere career wise with magic, it's only a hobby of mine. I'd be lucky if I performed twice a week.

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
i dont perform 'A LOT' but i do perform to mates and people i know like parents friends etc, but ive recently got into cardistry (i refuse to say XCM) and i love standing in public places and shooting out cards and flipping packets, the looks are priceless :D

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
I don't "go out there and perform".

I do paid gigs, and sometimes I show something for friends and other people around.

Sep 1, 2007
I perform for people of course, but I mean it's not like I perform 5 times a day. I don't see myself going anywhere career wise with magic, it's only a hobby of mine. I'd be lucky if I performed twice a week.

Sadly, I'm like you on this subject. I rarely perform for real. I just don't have the time. It pisses me off too. I feel even though I'm learning these tricks, I'm not going anywhere. I try to perform as much as possible at school, but even then, I'm lucky to fit in 1 or 2 performances a week. I don't have a car, so I can't just go out and do magic on the street. Any advice?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results