How much do you offer for gigs?

May 14, 2009
I was wondering how much you offer for gigs?

I was thinking about doing one , but I want to know a reasonable price.

:p

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
It really depends on what the sort of show they want, how many people how long and 100's of other variables.

I have a nightclub show coming up in a few weeks that I get 100% of the door fee. Whilst this is usually a lot lower or a set dollar value it is a favour for one of my friends (he is re-opening the club) so he is giving me everything for the night.

I know this is not a lot of help however if you tell what type of magic you perform, if you are going to be close up palour or stage how long you are going to be there. I will try to give you are better idea of what to expect.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
D is right, there are so many different things to consider. I would charge different for walkaround than for a private party, and different for different numbers of people, and time, and the sort of performance expected, etc.

May 14, 2009
I am doing a walkaround gig and want to charge about 40$ per hour...I have my effects all ready and have been practicing them for months now.

I will probably perform about 3-4 hours, maybe a bit more...

Do you think this is reasonable?

:)

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Still comes down to a lot of other things.

How many people will be there?
Age of the people?
What is the event for?
What is the policy on business cards?
What effects are you planning to do?
and most importantly why should they hire you? Both as hiring a magician in general and what makes you a better magician / performer than say me, or any other magician?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Walkaround where? Party, restaurant, etc?

Talk to magicians in your area, as well as other performer types (jugglers, face painters, etc), and see what they charge. You don't want to undercut them too much, as that's rude and bad for business down the line. Since you're in CA, the cost of living is probably fairly high, so the rates in your area may be higher. Ask around.

When I first started doing gigs I would charge £20 an hour, but I was working in a trendy vodka bar.
I had my own tab for free drinks, and always got free entry.
So the nights I wasn't working, me and my mates could get free drinks.

I think if it is your first gig, you have over 100 guests, then you could do $20 an hour + travel expenses.

Price yourself lower in the market, cause when you prove how good you are, then the business wont mind paying more next time.

G..

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I normally do Walkaround / Strolling gigs for cocktail parties, company picnics, etc. and I charge $100 per hour. I normally only work 3 hrs straight. You may want to negotiate two 10 minute breaks in there also to get a drink, use the restroom, etc.

As everyone else has mentioned.....each event may differ greatly depending on a number of factors.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Listen to the performers podcast linked from Penguin Magic.

Know your own skill level and how much your are worth. Charging too much or too little, will not only affect yourself, but other working magicians in your area.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Price yourself lower in the market, cause when you prove how good you are, then the business wont mind paying more next time.

G..

Or they won't hire you at all when you try to raise your price...they got great performances for 20/hr, why pay 50/hr ?

I'll let the people who've had more paying gigs than me continue to help, just thought i'd throw that in there

Nov 23, 2007
NC
It sounds to me like this is your first time doing this. If it is then I think you’re going to find that 3 or 4 hours is going to be way to long for your first run. I would suggest 2 hrs max with breaks in between providing you have adequate material. You’re going to need the breaks for resets and more importantly get your brain organized.

Along with lots of pre practice I think it’s very helpful to videotaping yourself. You will catch a lot you didn’t know you were doing.

For your first time 30 or 40 is not bad but I think its a little low. Be honest with yourself and if your confident your pretty good I would say 50 or 60 minimum. If you don’t feel you’re pretty good then you need to wait until you are. It’s fair to charge a little less because of inexperience but not because of unpreparedness.

If you search for here in this 7 part series you'll find great advice and answers to most of your concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
For your first time 30 or 40 is not bad but I think its a little low. Be honest with yourself and if your confident your pretty good I would say 50 or 60 minimum. If you don’t feel you’re pretty good then you need to wait until you are. It’s fair to charge a little less because of inexperience but not because of unpreparedness.

This is why I asked about countries... Funny how big the difference is.

What you charge depends a lot on the following things.

1. Your skill level: How good are you at doing what it is that you do.
  2. Experience: How long have you been getting paid to do what it is that you do. (NOTICE: The duration of time that you've been getting paid to do what you do, vs time in on doing it are NOT the same thing!)
  3. Prestigue: How many important people, places, or events have you entertained for or at?
  4. Danger: You can also charge more for the amount of personal danger you place yourself in.

Honestly, skill in showbusiness really is a moot point. No one cares about skill. It's nice to have- yes. But it obviously isn't a requirement. It's more about the experience and the prestigue. That really helps make a $40 dollar an hour act into a few hundred dollar an hour act.

I'm going to amend this to also add in: The Type of Clientel You Market Yourself To. Obviously if you are doing birthday parties for middle class America you won't get a gig if you charge $300 dollars an hour. However if you are working Upper class, celebrity, business owners, movers and shakers, etc class America, like wise is true. You won't get a gig if you charge only $300 an hour. Know your target market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 23, 2007
NC
This is why I asked about countries... Funny how big the difference is.
Do you get more or less down under in kangaroo land? I was low balling a little due to him starting out. I think the average in most places would be more between 80 and 150 US depending on the circumstances. That if I'm correct in assuming he's stolling or something of that nature.

I hate to toot my own horn here, but also search out a thread I wrote called "How To Get Gigs, and Keep Clients". There's like 7 parts, and I do believe I discuss real world pricing in one of them. I just don't remember which chapter it is off the top of my head.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
I hate to toot my own horn here, but also search out a thread I wrote called "How To Get Gigs, and Keep Clients". There's like 7 parts, and I do believe I discuss real world pricing in one of them. I just don't remember which chapter it is off the top of my head.
It's Chapter 4: Marketing: Booking the Gig.
I didnt mention them because for some reason I was under the impression you had them taken down and were marketing them as a PDF
but I may have confused that with something else. Sorry about that. I updated my above post with the link.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
There is a TON of valuable information in Draven's post that he has linked. I have gained a lot of insight and tips by reading through its entirety. It may seem like a large amount of info to digest but it is well worth it. I can't believe he hasn't made a small booklet yet and charged for it. Ha Ha.

(OK Draven...you owe me $50 bucks now)

I think one thing I really learned through performing over and over for various gigs is that you will "know" when you are ready to charge the big bucks. You will understand your skill level, crowds reactions, your clients needs, etc.

The other thing you will gain is experience at each and every gig. This is worth more than the money. You will learn the ins and outs.

There is a huge difference doing a walk around gig for a low income church crowd of 50 compared to a company picnic of 300 people. Do I adjust my rates according to my clients? Definitely. Does this mean I give the church crowd a "crappy" performance? Heck no. I give them the experience of a lifetime just as I would anyone else. Some people will disagree with me on that and say that you get what you pay for and that there should be flat rates and screw the people who can't afford you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results