How much should I charge?

Jan 19, 2009
hello guys (i really don't no how to start a thread i always seem to in-formal :) )

anyway i have done a stand up act for a comedian twice now (crazily just after my first ever public performance last week)

and he has asked me to come back because the audience liked my stuff and asked for me again ! this was a stage act that i basically thought up on the spot and used the items there ! :) it went down a treat.... anyway back to the subject

i do about 15 minutes each time and am wondering (if) and how much i should charge... i am also doing a few shows for college and one for my own birthday party just for fun

but i am wondering how much i should charge for this 15 minutes of pure awesome-ness (ok i know boasting ........ ok maybe its a little bit awesome..... im just saying! :) )

i would love your help on this matter
thanks !

Jan 20, 2009
California
Well i think you should ask yourself, how much do you think you are worth
just keep in mind when negotiating price you can always start high and then
go low but you can NOT start low and go higher. for me when i book a gig
my price starts at $275

Jan 19, 2009
Well i think you should ask yourself, how much do you think you are worth
just keep in mind when negotiating price you can always start high and then
go low but you can NOT start low and go higher. for me when i book a gig
my price starts at $275

thanks ! .... so this is about half of that for pound right ?..... i shall most defonatly look into this :) and shall think about that when im next booked :)

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Do a lot more shows before you start charging. Volunteer any chance you get. Being an entertainer is more than just having a series of tricks you do well. You will only learn that by doing more shows. Once you are good enough, people will start offering to pay you to see more.

How much you charge will depend on where you are and what you are being asked to do and who you will do it for.

Keep at it, it sounds like you are getting chances to perform for real audiences - that's awesome!

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Who will be paying you the comedian or the club. If it is the comedian I would not really take the gg 15 minutes is not really worth my time. I would much rather use it as a networking right off. If it is the club I would either discuss a bit of walk around first or conversly a magic night and write the 15 minutes off as advertisng.

Feb 7, 2011
@JayTChaai

My first response to your post was, are you serious?! But i can understand it i guess, with all the talk of stealing magic these days. Yes, you have the rights to perform any trick in the world to anyone. But you dont have the broadcasting rights. And most if not all the artists on t11, penguin and ellusionist reserve their broadcasting rights. For example, if you wish to perform stigmata on a tv show, you must have permission from Wayne Houchin or Banachek. But on the street, doing walk around, doing stage, doesn't matter if you're paid or not, perform whatever you want.

Jan 19, 2009
thanks everyone for all the help ! i shall volenteer at first because to be honest magic isnt for the money for me personally it is to create an experience that people will come to love and want to learn ! i do like to perform magic for a large audience and would love to gain more skill by doing some more shows thanks alot guys ! :)

Oct 17, 2010
Athens, Greece
@JayTChaai

My first response to your post was, are you serious?! But i can understand it i guess, with all the talk of stealing magic these days. Yes, you have the rights to perform any trick in the world to anyone. But you dont have the broadcasting rights. And most if not all the artists on t11, penguin and ellusionist reserve their broadcasting rights. For example, if you wish to perform stigmata on a tv show, you must have permission from Wayne Houchin or Banachek. But on the street, doing walk around, doing stage, doesn't matter if you're paid or not, perform whatever you want.

I see. I mean I knew I could perform on the streets but there is a chance i might perform on a radio show, for the broadcasters of course not the people listening. I mean they would still listen to the reactions of the broadcasters but they obviously won't be seeing anything. I need a permission to do that? And since one of the guys is in a tv show too, if he invites me to his show i guess i will need a permission for that for sure..

Feb 7, 2011
@JayTChal

Broadcasting rights cover all known mediums, from radio to tv, even broadcasting mediums yet to be invented are covered. You will need permission to perform copyrighted effects on all of them.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
15 mins isn't really that much time and trying to charge 250 bucks for it is way too much. Like D ICER I would find out who wants you to perform, and then either simply use that time to just meet and talk to people. If it's the comedian, chances are he won't be able to pay you much. Most comedians don't really make that much money unless they are headlining Vegas or making HBO Specials.

Jan 19, 2009
thanks alot for all the info guys, i was just abit curious to be honest i wasnt planning on charging him for the show :D once i get some bigger and better shows then i shall start off :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results