How should a beginner start learning magic?

Oct 29, 2022
So I’m a beginner wanting to learn card magic- I can do card forces, double lifts, and card controls such as riffle + overhand shuffling while keeping a group of cards on the top, or a card at the bottom, or moving a card from the middle of the deck to the top, etc. What should my next steps be, or what should I learn how to do next? I want to learn relatively slowly so I can wait until my hands have stopped growing before I learns things like palming, or some of the trickier sleight of hand moves (I’m a teenager).

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I think a great way to learn is to use Roberto Giobbi's Card College series. It starts with fundamentals and then progresses through the various sleights. The first two volumes were written as a complete course and, well, then came three more volumes. I've found the teaching to be more accurate than any video I've watched. You can also get the Card College Light (Lighter and Lightest) which have self working effects that don't require sleight of hand but make it easier for you to practice performing.

Books are your friend. But only buy one or two, to begin with, and study them from cover to cover. I recommend Magic with Cards: 113 Easy-to-Perform Miracles with an Ordinary Deck of Cards by George Schindler. The book is out of print, but can still be found on the second-hand market for a reasonable price. Alternatively, you can borrow a digital copy from Open Library (one hour at a time, pending availability).

Personally, I think this book is a better introductory text to card magic than The Royal Road to Card Magic. I would also recommend Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic if you want more than just card tricks.

I hope this helps,

Marty

Reactions: RealityOne
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results