How to keep rope from fraying?

Aug 14, 2014
Canada
How can I finish the ends of my rope so they don't come apart? I've tried dipping them into glue and that doesn't seem to work.

Also, what makes rope magic different from any other visual types of magic?

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
The best way to do it is to core the rope. You should be able to fray one end enough to see that there is a "core" of rope running through the center. You should be able to pull that center completely out leaving you with basically one really long Chinese finger trap. This is the part you'll use, discard the core.

Now, to make the ends look nice, you can use a sharpie or pen to tuck the frays inside of the rope. Once they're tucked in and look nice, dab some white glue inside and roll the ends around to evenly spread the glue. Let it dry for a while and you're good to go!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
If the rope is synthetic, then you can heat the end over a flame (just hold it over, don't have it touch the flame) and that fuses the end.

If the rope is natural (and will catch on fire), then you can use electrical tape, duct tape (cut it to size) or cloth first aid tape.

Aug 14, 2014
Canada
If the rope is synthetic, then you can heat the end over a flame (just hold it over, don't have it touch the flame) and that fuses the end.

If the rope is natural (and will catch on fire), then you can use electrical tape, duct tape (cut it to size) or cloth first aid tape.
how can you tell if its syntehtic?

Aug 14, 2014
Canada
Okay what i have done is tucked the frays into the rope and dabbed glue inside, as rk magician 78 suggested and I find that it works really well!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results