Hypnotism in Magic

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I agree to an extent, although it does need to be done well.

The people that are mentioned in the video do it exceptionally well, however you need to understand that there are completely different mindsets in performing hypnosis and performing magic. For the most part people believe that hypnosis on some level is possible. Whereas magic on the other hand is startling and most people assume that there is some level of lying going on. Many times I have been accused of just using sleight of hand (whilst working as a table magician) however the effect in question was self working.

The point I am trying to make is that with magic people like to think they have the answer, whereas in hypnosis the performance's method is actually the entertaining thing rather than just the end result.

May 18, 2008
That is an AWESOME viewpoint. I never thought about the difference in mindsets.

Any other opinions?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
That is only the tip of the iceberg.

I feel that mentalism works much better with hypnosis. Good justified billet work, muscle reading and cold reading techniques are as close to the real thing you can do. And for the most part they are real, yes there is a techniques and it relies on the performer being able to do something which the spectator does not understand, and hypnosis easily falls into these characteristics.

The one that comes to mind more readily than others is James Brown. His work on combining hypnotic techniques with standard magic methods is truly amazing. From something as simple as getting the sandwiched cards between someone's hands stuck together. This will heighten the magic as regardless of what is happening in the effect there is still that element of real quantifiable hypnotic phenoma.

One thing that needs to be understood is the structure of hypnosis is much much more important than magic. In magic you can do what ever effect in what ever order (for the most part) and for the most part it will work well. However with hypnosis you really need to understand that certain things have to come first. And if you want to comfortably to combine the two you need to work on this structure working from magic to hypnosis in an entertaining way marrying up with the hypnotic process.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Let's see here... the late Ormond McGill was a legendary magician as well as one of the leading experts in modern hypnosis both, on stage and at the clinical level (penned nearly 100 books -- big, heavy, thick books -- on the topic). His ENCYCLOPEDIA OF HYPNOSIS still, after nearly 50 years (I think it is) remains the top ranked resource for anyone wishing to move into stage Hypnosis. . . it's the Corinda of said niche followed by Anthony Joaquin's REALITY IS PLASTIC of recent vogue.

Going back, not all that far in time, it was quite common for the magician to hypnotize the young lady prior to doing the levitation or any number of other bits (Blackstone did so with the Buzz Saw so as to explain why no blood spilled).

When it comes to Mentalism and how it was done long ago, use of hypnotic & trance inducing methods without the public realizing that it was being used, was quite common (especially in parts of Europe -- Read the book ERIC JAN HANUSSEN HITLER'S JEWISH CLAIRVOYANT and you'll find example after example of this and more!) This is a technique that a small handful of performers have only recently revived, but under the banner of "Ericksonian Hypnosis" in that conversational hypnosis tends to be credited to the work of Dr. Milton Erickson in the 50s & 60s.

You will find that most stage hypnotist have always mingled bits of trickery (especially mentalism stunts) with their shows for the sake of production value as well as general astonishment. To my mind however, Hypnosis is akin to Mentalism on the level that it is best to set aside a large portion of your show (at least 30 minutes) if not create a complete show that is nothing but hypnosis or suggestion based material. Such programs typically run no less than 45 minutes to well over two hours depending upon the setting and venue constrictions (stage union locals will insist on precise start & end times).

I'm not too certain how I feel about how Hypnosis is being meshed with magic these days in that it's such a powerful skill that gives one even greater advantage as a stand-alone entity. The psychology alone gives you exceptional benefit when segregated.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results