If You Could Meet...

If you could meet any single person in the field of magical entertainment living or dead who would it be and why?

For myself it would have to be David Copperfield. I'd simply like to shake his hand and tell him "Thank you". Because he was the one who inspired me to become a magician. I worshiped the ground he walked on as a kid, and to this date is someone I haven't had the opportunity to meet yet.

Reg

Mar 12, 2013
Tommy Wonder, not only because he seems hugely entertaining to be around, but because watching him perform is one of the best lessons in magic that I've found. Second to that would be Lennart Green, who my friend got the privilege to perform with; something I've never forgiven him for.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I'd have to go back in time a bit. My list would include;

Richardi, in that he was an amazing theatrical artist and technician, not just a magical performer. He was likewise a master of terror, presenting Horror on stage long before the idea of Bizarre Magick actually took root. Ironically, his American tour in the mid-70's is what inspired many of we old guys to venture into the Bizarre.

Bill Neff, he was a mix of the Gentleman Magician and Side-Show Burlesque Master. For his day he presented some "edgy" material that was both, freakish as well as sexual (as in Playboy "Naughty").

Howard Thurston, in that I'm indirectly tied to his legacy by way of my mentor who was the prodigy of Will Rock who toured with the Thurston Show (the "B" Unit -- the original props were used by Howard initially and then handed over to his brother Harry when Howard built the Wonder Show); I'd just like to know the man and how he viewed the work he did and his relationship to Kellar.

There are a few others, especially outside of the magic world, but this is a big start.

Aug 25, 2012
I honestly think that if I could sit down and just have a nice conversation with any magician I think that it would be the Professor, Mr. Vernon. He is not only very knowledgeable in the field of card magic but his whole demeanor, he seems like somebody with a very like able personality and he is also the inspiration for a lot of the close-up I do til this day and in close second I would have to say Mr. Ortiz, if you have ever seen him perform you would know why. He is just simply AMAZING.

Sep 1, 2007
More than any other magician, I would love to meet Rod Serling, Roger Corman, and David Cronenberg.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I honestly think that if I could sit down and just have a nice conversation with any magician I think that it would be the Professor, Mr. Vernon. He is not only very knowledgeable in the field of card magic but his whole demeanor, he seems like somebody with a very like able personality and he is also the inspiration for a lot of the close-up I do til this day and in close second I would have to say Mr. Ortiz, if you have ever seen him perform you would know why. He is just simply AMAZING.

He was actually grumpier than me, most of the time and hated being bothered by magicians.

Dai was a peculiar old curmudgeon and unless you could prove your skill level and seriousness you would have to be female to gain his favor. I got along with him ok simply because I never asked him "how" to do anything and he liked that.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
He was actually grumpier than me, most of the time and hated being bothered by magicians.

Dai was a peculiar old curmudgeon and unless you could prove your skill level and seriousness you would have to be female to gain his favor. I got along with him ok simply because I never asked him "how" to do anything and he liked that.

Well that was because you met him when he was fighting a losing battle with Arthritis and old age. Plus by that time he's pretty much had tons of people bother him about everything under the sun and he knew couldn't really pull off the same moves (Vernon was technician above all else.) and I am sure that got under his skin. Which is why I mentioned meeting him when he was in his prime.

But for anybody alive. I would probably say maybe Paul Harris. I've heard from pretty much everybody who has met or known the guy, that he is one of the most likeable and genuine guys in magic. Basically the Tom Hanks of Magic.

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
If I could meet and shake the hand of any magician in history dead or alive I would choose... alive...

In all seriousness, it would also be David Copperfield for his modern achievements and his insane work ethic. Very few people in this world have done, seen, and know the things David has in his lifetime. Difficult to top that.

As a super duper close second - Jean Eugene Robert-Houdin. The father of magic. Light years ahead of his time. Brilliant. Enough said.

Last edited by a moderator:

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
I could not reduce the list down to a single person.

Of today's entertainers known on a layperson's level, I'd love to meet; Penn & Teller, Copperfield, Blaine, and Brown.

Of the entertainers no longer with us, Wolfgang von Kempelen, the inventor of the mysterious Turk would be fascinating to sit down with. Also, Dai Vernon.

Other notible mentions would be Harry Lorayne and the anonymous enigma from youtube, MadV.

Jul 13, 2010
Only one ?
Johann Nepomuk Hofzinser.
Because he is one of my greatest inspirations and I could talk to him in my mother tongue ;)

The other three departed magicians I want to meet are
Cardini, because I`ve never seen a better manipulator than him.
Fred Kaps, because he is one of the best well-rounded magicians ever.
and Arturo de Ascanio, because I like his books about magic theory.

The ones alive:
Juan Tamariz, because I want to find the magic rainbow.
Woody Aragon, because he is such a likeable person and shares the same interests/hobbies as I do beside magic.
Dani DaOrtiz, because he will fool me badly.
Roberto Giobbi, because he has an excellent taste of art and the pleasures of life.
Eugene Burger, because he is one of the most fascinating figures in magic.
Uri Geller, because I want to know why my fork is still not bent.
Michael Vincent, because I want to see, or not see, his flawless technique close-up and want to know whether his looong thumbnail has something to do with his magic.
Darwin Ortiz, because I want my books signed.
And finally Harry Lorayne , just to see if he is as,...mmmh..let´s say, impulsive as in the forum ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd also like to meet Bayme and a few others from the t11 team from here too and shake their hand. They've done an amazing job providing the community an amazing forum and done decient magic. I'd simply like to say thanks in person.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I second Jim Steinmeyer!

First is David Copperfield though, I'd like to pick Paul Harris's brain, I'd love to spend a day as a stage hand for Franz Harrary and I wish that I could hang around with Vernon's inner circle for a few hours.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results