Imagine you never existed.

Mar 5, 2012
I understand it can be hard to picture this, however just give it a go. Close your eyes if it helps, take a deep breath in, slowly let it out, forget the past, don’t focus on the future, just remain in the present. Just give this experiment a go, it’s worth it. Trust me.

Now imagine you’ve just been born. However you’ve been born on a rock, a rock which is flying at an increasing rate, rapidly through space. You have no idea what this is, how you got here, or what even is going on. So in this situation, what would you do? Before you answer I should tell you that this scenario isn’t hypothetical, it’s reality. Think about it.

Honestly, I’m not sure what this is and I don’t think you are either. You can pretend that you're sure so that it’s easier to get to sleep at night, however deep down you know something isn’t quite right. It’s like a splinter in the back of your mind constantly digging in, making you question everything.

Most people are born, go to school, get a 9-5 job, start a family, retire and then inevitably die. They choose to live this typical lifestyle because it’s the social norm. We live in a world where our precious finite resources are perpetually wasted and destroyed in the name of profit and free-markets, our social values have been reduced into a base artificiality of materialism and mindless consumption, and our monetary systems control the political structure of supposedly free societies.

We are an extreme form of bacteria stood on a rock called Earth which is flying at an increasing rate, rapidly through space, and you want me to spend my life eating McDonalds whilst watching the X-Factor? It’s almost as if the whole worlds gone insane. But we accept this. For some reason or another we conform to this normality. Regardless of global sustainability or scientific understanding we instead trust in faith and superstition. I guess the hardest prison to escape from is in your mind, but once you do so you’ll never look at society in the same way again.

The point I'm trying to make is that as wizards we look at the world very differently than everyone else. It allows us to look through the lies and question the truth. Reality is a wonderful place, however I wouldn't want to live there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
London
I understand it can be hard to picture this, however just give it a go.

OK.

Close your eyes if it helps,

I can't see anything! Sorry, but I'm going to have to open my eyes to read the rest of your instructions.

take a deep breath in,

And now what?

slowly let it out,

Ah, I should have guessed.

forget the past,

Hang on, what was the last thing?

don't focus on the future,

Does that mean I should stop reading anything past this point?

just remain in the present.

What present? Now? Or now? Or now? Or... Hmmm...I don't seem to be getting the hang of this. I keep travelling into the future at a rate of one minute every sixty seconds.

Just give this experiment a go, it's worth it. Trust me.

An experiment! Great. I love science and I'll trust you. I'll trust that you aren't misusing the word "experiment".

Now imagine you've just been born.

Wow! I can read! I'm the cleverest baby ever!

However you've been born on a rock, a rock which is flying at an increasing rate, rapidly through space.

I really am a clever baby...I can spot the syntactical errors in that sentence! And I know the word "syntactical"!

You have no idea what this is, how you got here, or what even is going on.

Darn straight.

So in this situation, what would you do?

Probably continue to question the implications of being a newborn infant with no concept of the future, but who can still reason and use language. After all, does reasoning imply temporal motion?

Before you answer

Oops. My bad.

I should tell you that this scenario isn't hypothetical, it's reality.

Now there's a twist. It's like something M Night Shyamalan would come up with.

Think about it.

I've been doing nothing else.

Honestly, I'm not sure what this is and I don't think you are either.

What what is? This thread? No, you're right. I'm not sure what this is at all.

You can pretend that you're sure so that it's easier to get to sleep at night, however deep down you know something isn't quite right.

Is it your use of "however"?

It's like a splinter in the back of your mind constantly digging in, making you question everything.

Yes, that's what splinters do...dig in and encourage curiosity.

Most people are born, go to school, get a 9-5 job, start a family, retire and then inevitably die. They choose to live this typical lifestyle because it's the social norm.

Yeah, if only we could do things differently. Maybe die, then start a family, then get born. Just mix things up a bit.

We live in a world where our precious finite resources are perpetually wasted and destroyed in the name of profit and free-markets, our social values have been reduced into a base artificiality of materialism and mindless consumption, and our monetary systems control the political structure of supposedly free societies.

Ah, I knew there was something on. It's a pity no-one's pointed it out before.

We are an extreme form of bacteria stood on a rock called Earth which is flying at an increasing rate, rapidly through space, and you want me to spend my life eating McDonalds whilst watching the X-Factor?

Sorry if I've given the wrong impression, but I don't mind what you eat or what you watch. Don't feel like you have to limit your diet or your viewing habits because of me. It doesn't really affect me one way or another.

It's almost as if the whole worlds gone insane.

Maybe not the whole world...

But we accept this. For some reason or another we conform to this normality.

If no-one conformed to it, it wouldn't be normality. I think that's the reason. It's to do with definitions of words.

Regardless of global sustainability or scientific understanding we instead trust in faith and superstition.

Global sustainability? Wow, I knew about peak oil, but I never realised the global supplies of faith and superstition were dwindling too. Hopefully scientists can synthesize some in a lab before it's too late.

I guess the hardest prison to escape from is in your mind, but once you do so you'll never look at society in the same way again.

Yes. Once you go out of your mind, it's almost crazy how different the world looks.

The point I'm trying to make is that as wizards we look at the world very differently than everyone else.

Ah, I see, that's the point you're trying to make! Wasn't sure for a while with all the newborn genius and peak superstition material.

It allows us to look through the lies and question the truth. Reality is a wonderful place, however I wouldn't want to live there.

I have nothing to say.

Aug 17, 2010
The point I'm trying to make is that as wizards we look at the world very differently than everyone else. It allows us to look through the lies and question the truth. Reality is a wonderful place, however I wouldn't want to live there.

No, we're good-natured charlatans - we fudge the evidence to give the veneer of impossibility. Philosophers see things as they really are.

Just because you know some card tricks, all of a sudden you have some unique insight into the human experience?

Mar 5, 2012
OK.

I can't see anything! Sorry, but I'm going to have to open my eyes to read the rest of your instructions.

And now what?

Ah, I should have guessed.

Hang on, what was the last thing?

Does that mean I should stop reading anything past this point?

What present? Now? Or now? Or now? Or... Hmmm...I don't seem to be getting the hang of this. I keep travelling into the future at a rate of one minute every sixty seconds.

An experiment! Great. I love science and I'll trust you. I'll trust that you aren't misusing the word "experiment".

Wow! I can read! I'm the cleverest baby ever!

I really am a clever baby...I can spot the syntactical errors in that sentence! And I know the word "syntactical"!

Darn straight.

Probably continue to question the implications of being a newborn infant with no concept of the future, but who can still reason and use language. After all, does reasoning imply temporal motion?

Oops. My bad.

Now there's a twist. It's like something M Night Shyamalan would come up with.

I've been doing nothing else.

What what is? This thread? No, you're right. I'm not sure what this is at all.

Is it your use of "however"?

Yes, that's what splinters do...dig in and encourage curiosity.

Yeah, if only we could do things differently. Maybe die, then start a family, then get born. Just mix things up a bit.

Ah, I knew there was something on. It's a pity no-one's pointed it out before.

Sorry if I've given the wrong impression, but I don't mind what you eat or what you watch. Don't feel like you have to limit your diet or your viewing habits because of me. It doesn't really affect me one way or another.

Maybe not the whole world...

If no-one conformed to it, it wouldn't be normality. I think that's the reason. It's to do with definitions of words.

Global sustainability? Wow, I knew about peak oil, but I never realised the global supplies of faith and superstition were dwindling too. Hopefully scientists can synthesize some in a lab before it's too late.

Yes. Once you go out of your mind, it's almost crazy how different the world looks.

Ah, I see, that's the point you're trying to make! Wasn't sure for a while with all the newborn genius and peak superstition material.

I have nothing to say.

This is hilarious, haha.
I'm dying of laughter :)

May 19, 2010
Couldn't agree more,
It's shame that most people would prefer the blue.
Do you have the data to prove that? You can't just assume that most of the world will choose one fictitious pill over another fictitious pill because it helps your argument.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results