Improve Your Mind: Contest Details!

May 3, 2008
Unfortunately, you won't be able to for this event.

HOWEVER! Since the run away success of this style competition, I can only imagine there will be others like it that will follow in the future.

You'll just have to keep a weathered eye out on the forum and jump in the next time something like this shows up.
Damn. I'll have to keep an eye out for the next one! :)

D

Deleted member 2755

This will not be easy to grade. I think I'll end up spending several minutes on each essay. :p I look forward to the submissions.

The huge success so far with this competition makes me want to do something big like this myself. I already have an idea, and I think the people I will work with will agree to it too. Enough about that though, I just wanna focus on this contest for now. ;) I'm very happy with the essay topic. I was hoping it wouldn't be a story essay because people could make things up.

Anyway, I look forward to reading these essays. I'm very happy with this success. Hopefully we will have more contests like these.

P.S. It would be preferred that in your e-mail, you put your T11 user name so we know who we are judging. Thanks.

Ah, an hour into writing and in loving the topic again. Very pleasing to finally get my self together and try to contribute on the topic.

I think thats its not actually about the prizes, great stuff but i myself am not doing this for it.

This things sole purpose is to educate people into thinking for a change and making them understand it before they use it. This is a vital part in magic, first understanding the techniques and then actually learning them. Because when you have something that you do not understand then its makes it harder to actually execute it.

Mikk.

Sep 1, 2007
I hoped this would've had some more to do with magic's unique capabilities. There are far more intresting subjects to talk in magic than the simple entertainment aspect.

Very dissapointed.

I hoped this would've had some more to do with magic's unique capabilities. There are far more intresting subjects to talk in magic than the simple entertainment aspect.

Very dissapointed.

Well since at your own admission you are in it for the Wynn playing cards, then a subject so below your normal standards for intellectual debate should be child’s play to you.

With that in mind it is needless to say that I expect a great essay from you!

No works cited from me, only one small inspiration I have from all of this. No idea what to do since I won't simply add adjectives to make this better. I've never had to do 700 words in a five paragraph form, is it possible????? The madnesssss

Ineski, funny person in the chat room. Made Nico almost tear his webcam off his computer.

Sep 1, 2007
Well since at your own admission you are in it for the Wynn playing cards, then a subject so below your normal standards for intellectual debate should be child’s play to you.

With that in mind it is needless to say that I expect a great essay from you!

I have nothing to say that I feel would contribute to this subject. Therefore, I won't be posting an essay.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
5 Paragraph Essay...been a while.

Higher education didn't demand it, only put word count and told us to make sure we got our points across.

Entertainment, I'll see what I can do.

Good luck to everyone.

I have nothing to say that I feel would contribute to this subject. Therefore, I won't be posting an essay.

Ah bummer! I was really looking forward to your contributions. You usually have great insights and valid arguments.

I was excited when you joined the event, all-be-it for the prize support.

I'm dissapointed that we won't get any contributions from you.

Maybe next time?

NOTICE: Event Rule Update

After getting email bombed all morning with concerns to the format of the essay I've made things a bit easier.

I've updated the rules to read as follows (As this will reflect in the first post)

"The essay must have 5 paragraphs minimum, and contain no less than 700 words. Anything failing to meet those two requirements or failing to be on theme with the subject will be subject to disqualification."

This does alter it from a 5 paragraph theme, to requiring no less than 5 paragraphs in total.

I hope this will encourage more to participate in the future.

Jun 29, 2008
I thought it would be a more rarely thought about topic. But "Entertainment, and What It Means To You", is actually a subject that I feel that I could write about for well over five paragraphs.... I'm gonna get started.

D

Deleted member 2755

Hey everyone. I thought I would show you guys how a 5 paragraph essay works for those who don't take English class. ;)

Paragraph I: Introduction - State your opinion on the matter and BRIEFLY talk about what you're going to talk about in the rest of the essay.

Paragraph II: Body Paragraph - State one of the reasons you feel this way and expand upon it.

Paragraph III: Body Paragraph - State another one of the reasons you feel this way and expand upon it.

Paragraph IV: Body Paragraph - State another one of the reasons you feel this way and expand upon it.

Paragraph V: Conclusion - Wrap things up and maybe throw in another small piece of information to back your opinion up.

That's it. Since many people have never heard of the 5 paragraph format, I won't be too much of a nazi when it comes to formatting. Hopefully the other judges won't either. Also, if an absolutely amazing essay is written, but in incorrect format, I would choose for that specific essay to win over a TERRIBLE essay written in the correct format. The format is only one part of the criteria we are looking for. So don't go nuts over putting your essay in the correct format if you do not know how to do so. We mainly want people who are truly dedicated to this contest. So if you're a crappy English writer, don't worry too much. Sure it will lower your chances slightly, but if you're essay is full of great information that will impress us, you have a higher chance of winning compared to Mr. A+ English who doesn't make any sense in his essay.

So don't let this format scare you into not submitting an essay. We aren't going to be grammar nazis. We just want you to tell your ideas in an organized matter. ;)

I hope that clears things up for those thinking about not writing an essay simply because they don't know how to write a 5 paragraph essay.

Also, if you give us data (Ex. 17,000 people die each year from witnessing a magic trick), please at the end of your essay, link us to the source that gave you such truthful data so we know you aren't making up statistics. (That statistic is true! I swear it!)

-Doug

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results