In Depth Tarantula Review

Jan 18, 2009
Well, I finally have had some time to work on the Tarantula and get some live performances and really dwell on some of the problems. You may be surprised at the end of this review.

First Thoughts 7/10

I first looked at the box and then lifted it up and found it quite lite, and although I never expected it to be heavy I was just expecting something more. The actual first glimpse at the gimmick was just pure awesomeness, it was so clever and I finally got what people were saying about the gimmick, however once I tried it on I realized that it was not the right shape at all but I went along with everything.

DVD 8/10

This dvd was overall good although I would have perferred some more variety in the tricks. Hovering was explained very nicely and that is what I like to do the most or at least the same hookup, the other stuff that is shown actually uses the reel which is why you would buy the gimmick basically. He teaches you little stuff that goes a long way, like getting the thread end back out by using a little method that works nearly all the time on the first try. So overall it's done well enough

Gimmick 7/10

So after watching the DVD and getting acquainted with the gimmick a bit better he explains how to customize it a bit better. So it may not fit perfectly but it fits well enough for my performance, and there is a slightly problem I still have. There is a "cap" and when I use the gimmick it stops the reel and it can be very frustrating which is why I almost hate the gimmick. The gimmick is very cool and hides in plain view but will won't be able to do magic with cards or rope or anything unless you are godly at them.

Overall 8/10

The gimmick is cool but unnecessary to do certain things, you don't need hoverring to do it but it does help a good bit. So after practicing and performing and getting the reactions this is my final verdict. Don't buy this.

Dark ominous music plays.

Get the Master Levitation system, there are a few reasons for this what you are most likely after is what the levitation system is, the entire hookup is based on Fearson's idea, all the gimmick allows you to do is hook it up a bit better but very unnecessary if you can make a small reel out of another object, imagintion time. If you want to make a card float from one hand to the other vertically or make a pencil roll or the haunted pack then buy it.

Second reason is the price, $70 to $40 and to be honest I would have gone with the Master Levitation System if I had known everything I do know now. I may use the haunted pack but I prefer levitating chips to my mouth and other objects across my body more, and you can do the haunted pack still but easier with the Tarantula.

Third reason, Steve Fearson is behind much of the concept of the Tarantula's useage. There was a thread or two on the hookup and whether he got the right's or if Mesika used it all actually. Well I can safely tell you that he does indeed and even says that he bought the published rights and after everything I decided that I believe Fearson but with slight doubt. Fearson has no real reason to lie except that the Tarantula was released before and wanted this to happen so sales would possibly go down. I highly doubt this would happen but this is where a little doubt does come in.

So theres my review and hoped you enjoyed it and take what I said into consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brandondeleon899
Oct 1, 2008
earth
A very nice review. I like when people really criticize products because helps me way more that reviews that say only the pro's of he product.

Thanks
Petey

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Not a bad review
the last 3 paragraphs kinda got me confused here and there but i get the basic jizz (heheh jizz)

Would you mind answering a few questions?
1. Is there noise?
2. How much load (heheh load) can it carry?
3. Is it mesika thread? cause i hate the mesika thread.
4. The part about levitating chips and objects across the body, is that the Tarantula or the MLS?
5. Can you use the gimmick for other things or is it only limited to those few effects?
6. IS the Fearson actually a utility or a method. I learnt the floating cig quite a while back and dont want to pay for it again.

Jan 18, 2009
Not a bad review
the last 3 paragraphs kinda got me confused here and there but i get the basic jizz (heheh jizz)

Would you mind answering a few questions?
1. Is there noise?
2. How much load (heheh load) can it carry?
3. Is it mesika thread? cause i hate the mesika thread.
4. The part about levitating chips and objects across the body, is that the Tarantula or the MLS?
5. Can you use the gimmick for other things or is it only limited to those few effects?
6. IS the Fearson actually a utility or a method. I learnt the floating cig quite a while back and dont want to pay for it again.

1. Yes but not enough to be suspicious, any type of patter or small background noise can easily cover it up.
2. If you know enough about the spider pen then there ya go, if you don't its about 25 feet.
3. Uh... I guess yeah it is, it's the spider pen thread but it is nearly invisible.
4. MLS for sure, the Tarantula just makes the objects come towards you the one time.
5. Imagination helps I guess, but overall it is just making objects come towards you vertically or horizontally and of course the haunted pack.
6. I am guessing a method to the actual effects of objects floating and moving around your body, if you do know the floating cig then I guess you know the hookup. If you want PM the basic method and I can tell you further if you would like.

Mar 14, 2009
Denmark
Very nice review. But you still haven't answered question #2. He didn't ask how long it was, but how much load (weigt) it can carry.

Jan 18, 2009
Ah, sorry about that, didn't read the question correctly

2. It's not super strong, maybe three playing cards total I'm guessing, that's with the actual pulling of the reel. I will work out how much weight it can carry by the just thread with some more work.

Jan 18, 2009
The overall product was great, there are still some issues fitting the gimmick but it's well made. I said the Don't Buy It reflecting on my ethics and how Mesika lied, made a profit, and tried to make Steve Fearson look bad.

The main point of buying the Tarantula is to do the Floating Ring effect and that is accomplished through the use of the Fearson hookup. If you buy it you will most likely enjoy it but I prefer thing that aren't put into a heap of conflict.

Sep 20, 2008
Hello Mr Kras

Just a few questions.

Strength comparison of MLS and Tarantula- Which can carry heavier things? (in units of cards please. E.g. Three playing cards. etc)

Hookup. Im kind of new to this whole levitation thing. the nearest thing ive got to a levitation thing are Loops. and i think they're dodgy enough as it is. (due to durability) When a 'Hookup' is mentioned, i have this idea that invisible thread will be running up and down my body which would be rather uncomfortable. (cause we wouldnt want it to break now would we?)

What's the difference between the MLS and tarantula in terms of hookups?

Lastly, you mentioned earlier that if i wanted to levitate playing cards from one hand to the other, buy tarantula- What are the limitations of MLS then?

Cheers,

-Sin

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
I don't own the Tarantula, so I can't comment on the weight factor, but from what I've seen of it, MLS is much more practical, organic, and versatile. Those I have spoken to about Tarantula say it's the stupidest levitation device on the market... and this is coming from some big names.

MLS is EXTREMELY well thought out and comes with a 2-hour DVD teaching some never-before released stuff (such as his awesome FU utility) and also, as a free bonus, teaches his famous Area 51 routines plus his full Floating Cigarette routine (which helped him win some competitions).

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
I don't own the Tarantula, so I can't comment on the weight factor, but from what I've seen of it, MLS is much more practical, organic, and versatile. Those I have spoken to about Tarantula say it's the stupidest levitation device on the market... and this is coming from some big names.

MLS is EXTREMELY well thought out and comes with a 2-hour DVD teaching some never-before released stuff (such as his awesome FU utility) and also, as a free bonus, teaches his famous Area 51 routines plus his full Floating Cigarette routine (which helped him win some competitions).

Mike. Calling a device you have never seen "The stupidest levitation device on the market" is just...well, plain ignorant.

Unless you buy the Tarantula yourself, I don't think it fair to hear another word from you regarding it.

You're like the crazy, disgruntled man standing on a soapbox screaming "The end of the world is near!"

-ThrallMind

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Mike. Calling a device you have never seen "The stupidest levitation device on the market" is just...well, plain ignorant.

Unless you buy the Tarantula yourself, I don't think it fair to hear another word from you regarding it.

You're like the crazy, disgruntled man standing on a soapbox screaming "The end of the world is near!"

-ThrallMind

And you're the man who doesn't read carefully. I didn't call Tarantula the stupidest levitation device on the market, I said others (very reputable others) have said this to me. And considering what they say the device is, it sounds like their assessments are correct.

I'll back out now.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results