Innovation in Magic

Feb 5, 2010
I was thinking today there is a loss of innovation in magic. There is hundreds of tricks with cards, coins, ropes, ect. I'm just thinking that sure there is innovation in those outlets of magic. there is a loss of innovation in what props we use as magicians. Its just something thats been on my mind a lot and its kinda annoying too. As magicians we should i think innovate what we use. to make our magic more versatile so we are not using the same objects.

What do you all think on this subject?

I agree with you. Inovation is slipping away due to the fact that younger magicians are more into the scene and are still missing the connection to the outlet of creating. And due to there connection to the scene they dont have anthing else on the mind other than what they are buying or being presented.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I would agree for the most part. But I feel that magicians are trying too hard to create new things. I do love how people can take simple magic principles and apply them to everyday objects, but think so many try way too hard. I have been into magic for two years and I have yet to create a single original effect. But maybe I am no an original person as others are.

I dont think its a matter of having more as much as it is having fresh creativity. only a hand full of artists have that. I've been in magic for 5 years and created 11 effects. 2 are origional. I've had to stay very Isolated to keep things unique. I just think they stay TOO pluged in to the system and not pluged into them selves enough.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
That is a good point, Robert. I listen to a lot of interviews with major magicians. A common theme I've noticed is that the really creative magicians grew up isolated from the magic world at large.

Some examples that come to mind now are Luke Jermay, Wayne Houchin, Daniel Garcia and Paul Romhany.

Feb 5, 2010
im not really saying that there isnt innovation in magic. there is a lot of it. But most of the effects are of props that most magicians use.

Im just looking at effects that most magicians dont use.

Some that i thought if are effects like x finger, spin, control, stop, and cookie cutter.

Feb 5, 2010
You hunger more as an artist but in the end you create more genuin magic and magic you will be more fixated over because during the creative process you connect with it in a different way. It becomes personal and an experience for you as an artist.

that sounds pretty good. and its something that holds true to me

May 3, 2008
im not really saying that there isnt innovation in magic. there is a lot of it. But most of the effects are of props that most magicians use.

Im just looking at effects that most magicians dont use.

Some that i thought if are effects like x finger, spin, control, stop, and cookie cutter.
Or manipulation with umbrellas.

The two effects of mine that are origional are Breach and Purge.

Breach is where I take a signed quarter a push it through a window. Any window. No gimmicks.

Purge is where I take any soda can and turn it to water without opening it. The spectator can open the can and examin it before and after.

Sep 1, 2007
What do you all think on this subject?

Keep in mind I'm not going to give you the answer you were probably looking for.

Building a skill is a long and tedious process. It follows 5 steps unerringly.

1. Imitation - You mimic the best to learn the ropes.
2. Distinction - You figure out why the things you're doing work or don't work.
3. Evaluation - Develop a values system.
4. Variation - You combine or fine tune existing ideas to adapt.
5. Innovation - You master the basics and create something new.

You have to follow that sequence and it can and usually does take years to complete. You have to study and then go out into the field to test and refine what you learned. You need to take criticism. You need to surround yourself with people more competent than you.

Most people aren't willing to finish the process. They try to get to step 5 while they're still in step 1 or 2. They don't knuckle down and learn to love the boredom. They don't have goals, drive, focus, or ambition. No patience.

So yeah, we don't have much innovation in props because we don't have much innovation in anything. Innovators are a rare breed because not many people are willing to do what it takes to achieve mastery.

Feb 5, 2010
Keep in mind I'm not going to give you the answer you were probably looking for.

You have to follow that sequence and it can and usually does take years to complete. You have to study and then go out into the field to test and refine what you learned. You need to take criticism. You need to surround yourself with people more competent than you.

Most people aren't willing to finish the process. They try to get to step 5 while they're still in step 1 or 2. They don't knuckle down and learn to love the boredom. They don't have goals, drive, focus, or ambition. No patience.

So yeah, we don't have much innovation in props because we don't have much innovation in anything. Innovators are a rare breed because not many people are willing to do what it takes to achieve mastery.

i can agree with this. plus. i do like this answer.

Thats what she said.
HA!

As one who sticks mostly(exclusively) to cards, due to my character and background in performing, the way I look at innovation is a bit different, but no less expansive.

My goal is to be able to do absolutely anything with a deck of cards. I always have my cards on me, gimmicks and all (not too many), and I try to be able to incorporate any situation to it. "Hey, you have a glass table?" [BREACH]. "Let me see that rubber band" [PIXEL], etc. As I get better and better my options expand, and things like lighters and the such become easy tools (Cinders or Wrath, Sear, etc).
My thoughts.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois

this reminds me of the practice thread you wrote that i still have printed out in my room, i read it occasionally, i think i'm at step 1.7.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results