Innovation in Magic

Sep 1, 2007
Thats what she said.

No, what she said was, "Just pull your pants back up and get out of my office."

My goal is to be able to do absolutely anything with a deck of cards. I always have my cards on me, gimmicks and all (not too many), and I try to be able to incorporate any situation to it. "Hey, you have a glass table?" [BREACH]. "Let me see that rubber band" [PIXEL], etc. As I get better and better my options expand, and things like lighters and the such become easy tools (Cinders or Wrath, Sear, etc).
My thoughts.

I wouldn't call that innovation. This may be a bit presumptuous of me, but it sounds like you're still in stage 3, testing the waters for stage 4. True innovation, as I said, is very hard to come by.

this reminds me of the practice thread you wrote that i still have printed out in my room, i read it occasionally, i think i'm at step 1.7.

Protip: Journaling is a good way to keep a running log and evaluation of your progress. Self-awareness is the key. You'll know you're in stage 3 when you have the sudden sensation when using your skill that can be described as "seeing the Matrix." The feeling will only get more powerful as you go on.

Yeah, Steerpike, you'd be spot on about that (what stage I'm at, not the presumptuous-ness (?) )
Maybe innovation could be the wrong word, if i think of a better one while remaining relevant I'll post. going by what you said, innovation is indeed very hard to come by. I've pondered creating my own effects, but all that results is a blank mind and an admiration for those who create one great effect after another. This may be due to my relative inexperience, but nonetheless, it is indeed hard to come by.

BTW, could you post a link to that thread worldwideme referred to? sounds like something I'd want to read.

Mar 1, 2010
Hong Kong
Well, in my point of view, being innovative is much more difficult than being a magician. Sometimes, it is pretty frustrating to see your "original" effects had already been invented many years ago. However, I also believe that if we are willing to try, then we can create new, powerful magic.

I was thinking today there is a loss of innovation in magic. There is hundreds of tricks with cards, coins, ropes, ect. I'm just thinking that sure there is innovation in those outlets of magic. there is a loss of innovation in what props we use as magicians. Its just something thats been on my mind a lot and its kinda annoying too. As magicians we should i think innovate what we use. to make our magic more versatile so we are not using the same objects.

What do you all think on this subject?
thats why i love kevin parker and adam grace...out of the box magicians....super smart and devious...

Yeah, I saw in the "What is Magic" special (caught the bullet in his mouth), one effect where he went up to these kids and had them name their favorite insect or small animal or something, and they all said "butterflies". Then I think he had them call butterflies or something cute like that, and one or two or three flew over to them. It was pretty cool.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results